Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Engine?

hawaiianstyln

I have over 600 hours on the boat, had a few cracked heads that required engine work and now having internal problems with burning oil, etc (tests show it's probably valves or rings)... Wife and I are thinking (just thinking) about putting in a new engine in this boat and not sure how this works. Can you find any 350 block and it will come fully built internally and then you just mount everything back on from the old engine (starter, Alt, etc..)?? If so, where is the best place to look for a block and what kind of price are people paying? Am I looking at 5k for the engine and then labor to install?

It's my understand that you can order either a long or short block which comes with different essential components, depending on what you need. I've heard of at least one long block engine swap, for a carby, for 2,500. Not sure on your engine. What is causing this, do you know?

I have over 600 hours on the boat, had a few cracked heads that required engine work and now having internal problems with burning oil, etc (tests show it's probably valves or rings)... Wife and I are thinking (just thinking) about putting in a new engine in this boat and not sure how this works. Can you find any 350 block and it will come fully built internally and then you just mount everything back on from the old engine (starter, Alt, etc..)?? If so, where is the best place to look for a block and what kind of price are people paying? Am I looking at 5k for the engine and then labor to install?

Dang...a FEW cracked heads?? Are you having a lot of overheating problems? You may want to find out the root cause of the problem before you drop in a new engine (...although, I'm sure you've already thought of that).

cracked heads were my fault. Impeller went bad after dropping the boat in the water and left it running while I washed off the trailer from the salt water when I had this boat in Hawaii. Second cracked head, the intake hose popped off while I was riding and nobody was paying attention while I was being pulled. I started to notice that it was smoking and yelled at everyone to shut the engine down. Too late after that. Either way, that's history and my dealer made me happy again. now the engine has a bad (BAD) oil consumption problem and tests show that it's either the valves or Rings. At this point, i'm looking at a minimum of probably $2,000. If they tear it down and find other problems and the price starts to get high to fix this, then why not just drop a new motor in it? My thoughts at this point. Then again, that's why i'm posting on here to see what the procedures are. I have not made any decisions yet, but would like to know my options

oh and since it's an internal problem, nobody can give you an estimate because they aren't sure what exactly the problem is inside the engine. You start tearing down the engine, you are building labor hours either way. You can't just find out the root cause with a free estimate. At that point, they already have the engine ripped apart and or taken out of the boat.

i'm also toying the idea of running it until the motor locks. Just keep adding oil

:(

Call these guys:: http://www.jasperengines.com/marine-engines.htm They are reputable. See if they are familiar with Indmars (assuming yours is an /indmar) specs. Don't let anybody convince you that marine engines are "way different", because they are not, but you would want the same compression, camshaft ,valve sizes ,etc. to ensure the computers fuel curve, timing curve, etc. are able to control the engine correctly. Also, being around salt water, marine engines can have better more corrosion resistant gaskets, freeze plugs, etc.. Good luck with it.

get the new engine, and see what you can get from some of the manufacturers for a trade on your current, before it totally eats itself.

Indmar sells a remanufactured base engine at retail for $6150.00

Sounds steep , but 3 year warranty is included as well.

It cost me $4000 just to rebuild mine. Bored .30, re-sleeved bad piston wall, new rods, new pistons and other minor stuff.

do I just call up Indmar for that? The warranty is what I like. :) However, that's well over what I assumed to pay for this job. That's good to know what you paid for your rebuild. I'm thinking this is the best option at this point.

do I just call up Indmar for that? The warranty is what I like. :) However, that's well over what I assumed to pay for this job. That's good to know what you paid for your rebuild. I'm thinking this is the best option at this point.

I contacted them through their website. Larry Engelbert is the guy I talked to. I'll PM his email to you. Even though I did not buy a motor from them, he was very helpful with all the questions I had about rebuilding mine when it blew up.

• 4 weeks later...
cracked heads were my fault. Impeller went bad after dropping the boat in the water and left it running while I washed off the trailer from the salt water when I had this boat in Hawaii. Second cracked head, the intake hose popped off while I was riding and nobody was paying attention while I was being pulled. I started to notice that it was smoking and yelled at everyone to shut the engine down. Too late after that. Either way, that's history and my dealer made me happy again. now the engine has a bad (BAD) oil consumption problem and tests show that it's either the valves or Rings. At this point, i'm looking at a minimum of probably $2,000. If they tear it down and find other problems and the price starts to get high to fix this, then why not just drop a new motor in it? My thoughts at this point. Then again, that's why i'm posting on here to see what the procedures are. I have not made any decisions yet, but would like to know my options

www.rebuiltmarineengines.com

When you say "new" are you actually wanting a brand new crate motor? Judging by your signature you probably have a monsoon. I remember reading that a brand new crate 340 was something like 9K. A HH is about 12-14K.

Rebuilt engines are obviously far less.

There is not a whole lot to replacing these engines. So finding a good used engine and replacing it would not only be fairly simple, but probably the cheapest alternative.

Though if it were me, I would rebuild it with oversize pistons, bored and stroked.

You can buy standard non-marine crate motors for far less than that in a variety of configurations, both long & short block. And many come with their own warranties (Sally Chevrolet up here in the NW has a great program for that). That's what I'd be looking at if I were you. You may even be able to use many of the components off of the current engine (starter, alternator, etc.) that make it "marinized".

Crate engines are available from the GM performance parts catalog, your local dealer can help you with that. Marine engines, all the 350 cu in. ones all have a specific marine cam in them. That would be part of the long block. As mentioned, there are several items changed over to allow salt water operation, so you need to be attentive to that since it looks like you use the boat in salt water. A standard road car application will not last in a salt water environment.

I would say that since there appears to be multiple overheating events that the rebuild requirements for your engine might be pretty significant.

A NEW longblock marine engine (not indmar) can be had for around $2750-$3000 w/ a 1 year warrenty.

I replaced the motor in an 04 Wakesetter DD for $2945, doing the swap myself.

-Chris

get ahold of bergeron marine. talk to phil or brian. they are off of country club and mCclellan in mesa. they will give you the best info on what to do.

The Chevy dealer here had a stroked small block (essentially the 383 HH) for about 4500 bucks out of the crate. I didn't know the crank was different for boating though.

• 4 weeks later...

after the dealer used some sort of GM cleaner added to each cylinder, it appears that i'm not having any more oil burning issues. My Leakdown test looked good, my compression looks awesome and the boat runs great. I just got back from my parents lake house in Oklahoma and ran the boat everyday for 7 days straight (all day long on some of the days, heavily weighted) and the boat ran AWESOME. I didn't burn any oil.

Very cool. You might want to share what that cleaner/the fix was in case someone else runs into a similar problem (such as when I act like the village idiot and do something stoopid)

Edited by gjsmith73
GM Pistion and ring cleaner

I worked a gm dealer for a while and we use this stuff for a bunch of things. Gm top end cleaner is what it is and you can mix it with gas to make a injector cleaner. Very good for washing parts with, but what we used it for the most was to try to stop the piston slap that alot of the ls motors have. Works great but makes the motor smoke for a while, while burning it off.