Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Closed bow ski boats...

1FootDan

Closed Bow Ski boats  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that Malibu should keep closed-bow boats in their model line-up?

• No, they do not have enough volume.
    • Yes, I prefer closed bow.
    • Yes, to keep in line with competitors who offer at least one closed-bow model.
    • Yes, all ski/performance series models should be made available with the closed bow option.
    • Yes, all models should be made available with the closed bow option.
    • Don't give a crap, but want to see the answers...
  2. 2. Have you ever owned a close-bow boat?

• Yes, I prefer closed bow
    • Yes, but prefer open bow
    • Yes, and I have no preference between open or closed bow.
    • No, but would consider buying one is I had the oportunity
    • No, does not interest me at all
    • No, and I have no preference between open or closed bow.
    • Never owned a boat but want to see the results.
  3. 3. Would you consider buying a closed bow boat in the future?

• Yes, but I don't really have a preference.
    • Yes, for me it's closed bow or nothing. If Malibu can't supply me with a new one, I will change brand.
    • Yes, for me it's closed bow or nothing. If Malibu can't supply me with a new one, I will buy a used Malibu.
    • No, because the models that interest me are not available in the closed bow version.
    • No, I like closed bow but am worried about re-sale value
    • No, for me it's open bow or nothing
    • No, unless I would have a super deal on one
    • No, I am not considering buying any boat but would like to see the results...

That baby is looking sweet! I love the colors and the decal combo. It looks fantastic! Thumbup.gif What motor is in it? It turned out really really nice. I love the new Malibu steering wheels - wish I could get one for my boat. The wheel looks so dated! Whistling.gif

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1FootDan

• M3Fan

• SmoothWaterMan

• Sixball

Well, it'll be in the showroom until they need the space. After that it's just until the roads get good enough to tow it home open. I don't have a towing cover yet (gotta give Gilman canvas a call). Beyond that we ski at Sunsite every possible day. You have a standing invite to drag your gear ou there and join us.

Sounds good. Where is Sunsite? Is it up by Dayton?

VERY nice! Thumbup.gif I'll have to stop by & take a look sometime soon.

What??!! - you don't want to just tow it up I75 open in the snow run-off & salt? Where's your sense of 'adventure'?

Blast - Sunsite is pretty much right across from the Cooper Tire plant. (Edit - Or the building that was Cooper tire)

Edited by wienrdog
That baby is looking sweet! I love the colors and the decal combo. It looks fantastic! Thumbup.gif What motor is in it? It turned out really really nice. I love the new Malibu steering wheels - wish I could get one for my boat. The wheel looks so dated! Whistling.gif

That wheel is available at your local dealer and I'm sure they'd even put it on for ya Thumbup.gif

NoWake is ordering me another throttle knob because I don't like that one. Anything is possible for a price Biggrin.gif

The motor is the 350hp Monsoon. I've already re-propped it. Its going to fly.

What did you re-prop it with? 13 x 13 or 13 x 12.625?

That wheel is available at your local dealer and I'm sure they'd even put it on for ya Thumbup.gif

NoWake is ordering me another throttle knob because I don't like that one. Anything is possible for a price Biggrin.gif

Sweet! I'll have to give them a call and see what they want for one. That or hop on ebay and look for a knock off wheel. Thumbup.gif

No doubt! That will really move!

What did you re-prop it with? 13 x 13 or 13 x 12.625?

Acme #425

13"x13"x0.080 cup

I won't be jumping so I didn't need the "tweener"

I had put the 13x12.625 on my 2006 CB Response hoping for some more top speed, but all I got was a 200rpm drop at most speeds, including WOT. So basically, I didn't go any faster and my acceleration droppped... which was not a bad thing because people who weren't used to driving it would rip out your arms with the standard 13x12...

I had the 320LCR though... hope you have better results with your 350 Monsoon. I beleive I had sent all my info to Greg (D-Goose) that he added to his prop database if you want to compare.

13x13 is what I have now on my Sanger DXII, pretty much the same story from the factory 13x12.625 prop. At least I save on gas I guess... I alternate depending if I am just footing at my lake (13x13) or when I use it for barefoot 3-event competitions (ABC approved DXII with 13x12.625 only with MX6.2 engine) or barefoot racing competitions (13x12.625 for better acceleration) .

Keep us posted! Thumbup.gif

GT, that boat is SWEET!

PS, the prop u sold me 2 years ago is still working great!

Gibbo

Thanks Gibbo.

Was that the NiBrAl Force4 for the sporty?

That thing worked awesome until I put 420hp in mine Thumbup.gif

It sure was! I was really impressed how smooth it made the sporty!

• 2 weeks later...

GT A quick Hijack. Have you had a chance to ride your Radar I want one just not sure I am going to spend the money. I am assuming it is the 09. Drool.gif

What are your thoughts on the ski?

GT A quick Hijack. Have you had a chance to ride your Radar I want one just not sure I am going to spend the money. I am assuming it is the 09. Drool.gif

I love it. Its a very polished MPD. It is my opinion that the high end Radars do demand a couple things though: #1 is they demand commitment right off the dock. I have not been successful in just hoping in the water and running an easy long line pass. Aggressive behind the boat, patient from the pre-turn to the exit and reach all the way out or it'll start to turn and then just point at the boat.

#2 is that its more important to have a good preturn position on this ski than the Monza I had or the D3 I had before that. Those other skis allowed me sometimes exit better than I entered. The up-side to that is if your pre-turn position IS good you're rewarded with a ski that seems to automatically arrive in front of you "90 degrees" to the rope.

Short answer - I love it.

What size do you need?

I want to try a 67 & 68. I am on a 67 9500 220 amp now

I love it. Its a very polished MPD. It is my opinion that the high end Radars do demand a couple things though: #1 is they demand commitment right off the dock. I have not been successful in just hoping in the water and running an easy long line pass. Aggressive behind the boat, patient from the pre-turn to the exit and reach all the way out or it'll start to turn and then just point at the boat.

#2 is that its more important to have a good preturn position on this ski than the Monza I had or the D3 I had before that. Those other skis allowed me sometimes exit better than I entered. The up-side to that is if your pre-turn position IS good you're rewarded with a ski that seems to automatically arrive in front of you "90 degrees" to the rope.

Short answer - I love it.

What size do you need?

I want to try a 67 & 68. I am on a 67 9500 220 amp now

220AMP, that's a stiffy.

What's your height/weight?

I have another theory about Radar skis I'll share with you later if you think you're really going to take the plunge.

5'10" 210 skiing 35 off @ 36mph open water but very hard.

FWIW I'm 6'2" or so and have been around 205 most of the past 3 years (200 now), I've been on a 68" MPD during that time. Really haven't tried the 67" but I don't have any problems on the 68". Usually you go down in length to get the ski to turn better; turning is absolutely not a problem with the MPD. Personally I think the aditional surface area would make it a bit easier to ride. No intensions of switching skis for at least another season. First I'd heard of MPD riders going down an inch in size, and I know LOTS of skiers on MPD's.

Ed

I didn't get in on the photo shoot. I think that was my off day?

That was a 67" D3 Nomad RC I rode Bill. And yeah, I was blown away that I could ski on it. Sure seemed short when I put it on but couldn't tell it skiing on it, felt really solid and stable. I didn't get to ride the Monza. Didn't get to ride the Obrien either which I really wanted to try. I've got kind of a mental thing about shorter skis; I HATE those sudden and henious OTF's.

On a side note, I was told by someone well connected that Radar is working on a new top end ski that should be ready to try sometime this summer. Been promised a chance to ride it whenever I get to Florida (you know who I go to). Gonna be later this year than usual thanks to the shoulder. I'm fairly confident I'll be good to go around June 1 so maybe late August for ski school this year?

Ed

Edited by ed obermeier

Just wanted to jump in and ask (based on the comment that a shorter ski should be easier to turn) I free ski hard @35/35, 165/5'-10". Spent last Aug. in course we set up & actually made a 34@35off pass. (no timer & questionable speed) on a 67" HO Phantom. Haven't had chance but wondered if 66 might help?

Give me a holler when you have a ski school date. I'd like to meet you down there. Maybe we can get Holloway and Albritin down there too? Group lessons?

That would be way too cool. If you're serious we'll work definitely something out. Haven't given a date a lot of thought yet, once I get skiing I'll get to that and give Matt a call.

Ed

Give me a holler when you have a ski school date. I'd like to meet you down there. Maybe we can get Holloway and Albritin down there too? Group lessons?

That would be way too cool. If you're serious we'll work definitely something out. Haven't given a date a lot of thought yet, once I get skiing I'll get to that and give Matt a call.

Ed

I definitely am serious. I talked to Holloway the other day and he still sees Keith periodically. The question is, with the 4 of us all in the same place again, would we get anything constructive done?

ROFL.gif Yeah, Fun! I consider Fun a totally constructive use of otherwise wasted time. We'll get some good skiing done too, guaranteed! Thumbup.gif

BTW just talked to Beach. He's in Florida @ McCormicks catching some weekend sets, on his way back to the airport as I type. He and 2 buds flew down Friday night from Springfield, Mo. on some regional airline for $29 seats each way. I'd be down there every freaking weekend if I could do it that cheap. If my shoulder were functional I'd drive to Springfield and go with him. The punk...

Ed

• 1 month later...