Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Closed bow ski boats...

1FootDan

Closed Bow Ski boats  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that Malibu should keep closed-bow boats in their model line-up?

• No, they do not have enough volume.
    • Yes, I prefer closed bow.
    • Yes, to keep in line with competitors who offer at least one closed-bow model.
    • Yes, all ski/performance series models should be made available with the closed bow option.
    • Yes, all models should be made available with the closed bow option.
    • Don't give a crap, but want to see the answers...
  2. 2. Have you ever owned a close-bow boat?

• Yes, I prefer closed bow
    • Yes, but prefer open bow
    • Yes, and I have no preference between open or closed bow.
    • No, but would consider buying one is I had the oportunity
    • No, does not interest me at all
    • No, and I have no preference between open or closed bow.
    • Never owned a boat but want to see the results.
  3. 3. Would you consider buying a closed bow boat in the future?

• Yes, but I don't really have a preference.
    • Yes, for me it's closed bow or nothing. If Malibu can't supply me with a new one, I will change brand.
    • Yes, for me it's closed bow or nothing. If Malibu can't supply me with a new one, I will buy a used Malibu.
    • No, because the models that interest me are not available in the closed bow version.
    • No, I like closed bow but am worried about re-sale value
    • No, for me it's open bow or nothing
    • No, unless I would have a super deal on one
    • No, I am not considering buying any boat but would like to see the results...

True. A better measure would be the amount of boat in front of the windshield relative to the amount of boat behind the windshield as a percentage.

But that still wouldn't take into account a longer, more slanted windshield. Measure from the steering wheel forward and from the steering wheel back. Thumbup.gif

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1FootDan

• M3Fan

• SmoothWaterMan

• Sixball

i know the newer CB boats aren't really selling well, but it's amazing how many older CB i still see cruising the lakes around central minnesota.

one of my buddies has an old stars and stripes w/ a hopped up 351 and four blade prop....that old thing really rips out of the hole and is a beauty of a boat, he's down by litchfield, mn. he hasn't had it out for (4) years, since he discovered sailing, but that's another story.

the other lake we frequent is koronis, near paynesville (about 4,000 acres). i saw the following over the 4th weekend:

CB malibu echelon

CB malibu response

CB nautique

CB ski ray (2)

CB gekko

CB MC 190

the other lake we frequent is lake sylvia, near annandale (about 2,000 acres). i saw the following over the 4th weekend:

CB malibu echelon

CB malibu response (2)

CB ski nautique (3) -(2) old school 2001's and (1) newer body style

CB MC stars and stripes (2)

overall, i'd say that the CB boats are about even with the open bow inboards (v-drives + direct drives). it seems many folks just hang onto their stuff for a long time up here. i've only seen (3) wake specific boats on our local lakes....one malibu 23 xti, one mastercraft 197 wake edition, and one centurion something.

around here the fishing boats outnumber the recreation boats 10:1. of the recreation boats, the I/O to inboards are about 10:1. of that very small number of boats (inboards), i'd say half are still CB ski boats.....most of which are 10+ years old and in very nice shape.....if it's paid for and runs/performs great, why get rid of it?

A good friend of mine has a place on koronis. In fact, my wife and I helped him out on the crew that shot the fireworks off last year of the 4th of july. Man, that was fun! Crazy, but fun! I no longer have any motivation to purchase consumer-grade fireworks.

about 3/4 through the show something happened on the ground because several of the fireworks kept getting shot into the trees and directly out (parallel) to the water....scary, yet funny stuff! it was too dark to see the ground, though.

everyone was anchored in and really couldn't move (cuz all the boats were really close)....next year we'll be a little further off the island!

• 1 month later...

Malibu's plant manager from the tennessee factory confirmed to me that the closed bow response will be available till june 2009

• 3 months later...
Malibu's plant manager from the tennessee factory confirmed to me that the closed bow response will be available till june 2009

Our 2009 closed bow Response goes into the cue first thing in the morning and will probably be built this month. We went through it item by item one last time with our very good friends down at NoWake Marine in Cincy then when out and had a nice dinner. Cheers.gif What a great experience. It'll be Malibu #3 for us. All three times we went out to the big 4, gave them all a fair shake and ordered a Malibu.

Now comes the waiting.... Biggrin.gif

What engine and colors?

Low of 15 tonight.

I told them not to hurry. I won't be back in the water until probably 1st week of March. Hopefully healed up by then Biggrin.gif

Well, if your not mended up by the time you take delivery I'll come down and I'll fill in for you. Such is the sacrifice that I'm willing to make for you my friend. Biggrin.gif

• 1 month later...

Congrats! Looks sweet - I like the color choices. Clap.gif The exhaust looks great too! When is it supposed to be finished?

I would love to see the Malibu factory if I was ever in the area. Has to be an experience. Thumbup.gif

I would love to see the Malibu factory if I was ever in the area. Has to be an experience. Thumbup.gif

It is. Very hands on, and for better or worse, every boat has its nuances of construction.

Toad, how busy was the factory?

It is. Very hands on, and for better or worse, every boat has its nuances of construction.

Very nice! How hard is it to get a tour of the facility?

-10 degrees right now in WI. Without wind chill! Cry.gif

We went down and visited the boat today. It was only half done, but it gave me a good idea what the end game would be.

Far and away the smallest thing on the factory floor, we had no problem finding it. Its going to be a great combination of old and new. Throttle by wire, shift by cable. 1999 hull form with 2009 motor, speed control and dash. We're very excited to get it. Thumbup.gif

Very cool Thumbup.gif

Not hard at all, you can just call & make an appointment.

WOW, that's PURDY!!!

Agreed, really nice.

Usually all it takes is a phone call. Far enough in advance and you may have your name put up on the sign too. It is really is cool seeing these boats getting "born". While you're in town (assuming in TN), I'd also suggest a tour of the boatmate trailer factory. Really cool experience as well and supernice folks.

Sweet GT the color is just perfect.... :)

Michele gets full credit for that. I like any color as long as its red :)

I have to admit, the blue is growing on me.

I had a blue boat once.... :( That's the boat I want! I hate to say it but let the wife pick the colors, you pick the model... :lol:

I had a blue boat once.... :( That's the boat I want! I hate to say it but let the wife pick the colors, you pick the model... :lol:

Good call. A smart man.... Biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Good call. A smart man.... Biggrin.gif

What's the old saying... A happy wife = a happy life!

or is it.... A happy wife = work for life!

:)