Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Closed bow ski boats...

1FootDan

Closed Bow Ski boats  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that Malibu should keep closed-bow boats in their model line-up?

• No, they do not have enough volume.
    • Yes, I prefer closed bow.
    • Yes, to keep in line with competitors who offer at least one closed-bow model.
    • Yes, all ski/performance series models should be made available with the closed bow option.
    • Yes, all models should be made available with the closed bow option.
    • Don't give a crap, but want to see the answers...
  2. 2. Have you ever owned a close-bow boat?

• Yes, I prefer closed bow
    • Yes, but prefer open bow
    • Yes, and I have no preference between open or closed bow.
    • No, but would consider buying one is I had the oportunity
    • No, does not interest me at all
    • No, and I have no preference between open or closed bow.
    • Never owned a boat but want to see the results.
  3. 3. Would you consider buying a closed bow boat in the future?

• Yes, but I don't really have a preference.
    • Yes, for me it's closed bow or nothing. If Malibu can't supply me with a new one, I will change brand.
    • Yes, for me it's closed bow or nothing. If Malibu can't supply me with a new one, I will buy a used Malibu.
    • No, because the models that interest me are not available in the closed bow version.
    • No, I like closed bow but am worried about re-sale value
    • No, for me it's open bow or nothing
    • No, unless I would have a super deal on one
    • No, I am not considering buying any boat but would like to see the results...

I love driving my short nose Freightliner FL-60, but there are lots of folks that prefer the long-nosed Jag, Infinity, Lexus, and BMW M Coupes. There are a few key individuals that could answer this unequivocally, and I'll be sure to ask next time I speak with one.

Answer what? Your strange taste in over-the-road transportation??? Tease2.gif

As soon as I put raised white letter tires on it (22.5 lo pros) I'll send you a pic. Or maybe I can use some of those new Super Singles for a real hot-rod look.

Thumbup.gif

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1FootDan

• M3Fan

• SmoothWaterMan

• Sixball

Just for clarification to the discussion earlier about the Sportster and Sportster LX having different hulls.

The Sportster and Sportster LX were built in 1998 with the same hull. Owners found out that if you put people up in the bow on a public lake you would now have a bath tub from the rollers coming over the bow. So, Malibu added a body line (a strake alongside that ran up to the bow) who's only purpose was to catch the water when loaded down in front and stop the bow from getting so low. It solved the issues with the first model year and so production went it's merry way. Then someone looked at the number of molds being used and maintained, and asked why we don't use the Sportster LX hull for the closed bow Sportster? It's exactly the same hull, it just has a body line in it, and that doesn't touch the water unless you're sitting it the bow. So the original non-body line mold was abandoned and from that point on once again both Sportster and Sportster LX had the same mold. A MAJOR benefit from this was the same trailer winch stand would once again fit both boats. There were lots of trailers floating around built for the wrong model, and the only difference was bow eye location. (due to the added body line)

The purpose of this little history bit is that the Sportster LX was nothing more than a Sportster with a bow cut out of it. They weren't designed differently, nor were they built differently. The Sportster LX was CHANGED to solve an issue with added weight up front, and the Sportster was changed for the added body line was a good thing. It was evolution in a revolution.

Peter :)

Peter, what you say makes sense, but I think that body line is GD ugly and am glad I bought before they changed hulls on the CB.

Our next boat will be a closed bow response. I don't care if it's built as an '08 or '09, but it will be ordered within the month.

We can't wait. Clap.gif

GT, why are you going from a Lxi to a Response? I thought you loved your Lxi? I know you're into chasing bouys, so I guess you like the slalom wake better? But I'm curious if you've also tried SN196 as well.

I like the look of the new corvette boat. I actually invented the closed bow trunk, I just didn't tell anybody, I've always wished that my CB had a front hatch or something I could open so I could have better access to the storage. If someone made an after market hard shell bow cover that was color keyed to match the boat do you think people would buy it? That way people could have that closed bow sports car look people are talking about when they don't need the extra seating.

Our next boat will be a closed bow response. I don't care if it's built as an '08 or '09, but it will be ordered within the month.

We can't wait. Clap.gif

GT, why are you going from a Lxi to a Response? I thought you loved your Lxi? I know you're into chasing bouys, so I guess you like the slalom wake better? But I'm curious if you've also tried SN196 as well.

At my 30 or 32 mph and 15 off speeds/lengths, the wake is significantly better on the LXi than the LX or RCB, FWIW.

We can't wait. Clap.gif

At my 30 or 32 mph and 15 off speeds/lengths, the wake is significantly better on the LXi than the LX or RCB, FWIW.

Significantly? I've never heard anyone say that before.

Significantly? I've never heard anyone say that before.

Proof that wake quality is a personal preference thing. At 34 / 22-28 I prefer the RLX.

I know I'm not the only one who prefers the RLXi wake over the RLX/RCB wake. At 15/30 and 15/32 it's a very noticeable difference. My form is so bad over the wake that I really notice one wake vs. another unfortunately. Driving wise I think the RLX/RCB is the best driving boat that ever left the drawing boards at Malibu.

How about someone start a poll on the all-time best wakes? For slalom, footing and wakeboarding? That could be interesting?

We can't wait. Clap.gif

I do chase buoys and I do love the wake behind the RLXi. Any speed from 24-36mph, any rope length, I think this particular year RLXi is the best. It also doesn't seem to be effected by crew weight or fuel weight. What I don't love is open bow towboats. I tried real hard to like them, even put custom canvas over it most of the time and just can't do it. Besides, when we're pulling at tournament speeds I don't like having anyone up front anyway so the only time we used the bowrider portion of the boat was at rest.

Now I'm willing to go backward one hull series just to get the closed bow back. The closed bow response has a great wake. The boat is just the right size and I love the lines. Malibu may never offer it again so we're getting one while we can.

I have a lot of respect for the 196 and it's capabilities within the course, but that is a super tiny $60,000 boat. Can't do it.

The wife will be painting this one so don't expect another installment in the red/white/blue series. No telling what color it will be. Probably blue.

$60k? I see a lot of 07-08 promo boats (196s) in the mid $30k range. I am not sure what a 196 lists new, but you could get a super nice barely broken in 196 for close to half that if you shop around.

R is available, It just does not get brochure space. My dealer has a 08 R CB Monsoon 340 perfect pass red/black/white teak platform, if anyone is interested. 704-655-2628

We can't wait. Clap.gif

I do chase buoys and I do love the wake behind the RLXi. Any speed from 24-36mph, any rope length, I think this particular year RLXi is the best. It also doesn't seem to be effected by crew weight or fuel weight. What I don't love is open bow towboats. I tried real hard to like them, even put custom canvas over it most of the time and just can't do it. Besides, when we're pulling at tournament speeds I don't like having anyone up front anyway so the only time we used the bowrider portion of the boat was at rest.

Now I'm willing to go backward one hull series just to get the closed bow back. The closed bow response has a great wake. The boat is just the right size and I love the lines. Malibu may never offer it again so we're getting one while we can.

I have a lot of respect for the 196 and it's capabilities within the course, but that is a super tiny $60,000 boat. Can't do it.

The wife will be painting this one so don't expect another installment in the red/white/blue series. No telling what color it will be. Probably blue.

$60k? I see a lot of 07-08 promo boats (196s) in the mid $30k range. I am not sure what a 196 lists new, but you could get a super nice barely broken in 196 for close to half that if you shop around.

The 2008 196 Limited they brought for the collegiate icebreaker in April was a beautiful blue, super tiny, great performing $61,700 boat.

Shocking.gif Wow. That's shocking.

Here's the first 196 that came up on only inboards. Its an 07 with 80 hours for $33,500.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=259398

Edited by jjackkrash

Back to M3Fan's observation about the "stubby nose" closed bow 196 vs the Response's longer nose. I just measured mine simply because I'm curious. My Echelon measured from the base of the windshield to the tip of the rubrail was about 5'9" while my 85 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes measured in at about 5'4" to the same spots.

Joel, what does your 196 measure in at? I'm wondering just how much shorter it really is, as I agree it looks shorter, just curious as by how much.

Now, when you mentioned (I'm not quoting you here just mentioning the general idea) the Response was just a closed off Response LX. I always thought of the Response LX as a Response with a hole cut in the bow. :):):)

My Echelon measured from the base of the windshield to the tip of the rubrail was about 5'9" while my 85 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes measured in at about 5'4" to the same spots.

You have a much "slantier" windshield than the CCs. I'll bet even more length is made up under the windshield as well.

What I don't love is open bow towboats. I tried real hard to like them, even put custom canvas over it most of the time and just can't do it.

Rockon.gif

Joel, what does your 196 measure in at? I'm wondering just how much shorter it really is, as I agree it looks shorter, just curious as by how much.

It's 4' 9" from where the deck angles up for the windshield to the tip of the rubrail. If you want to get technical it's 4' 11" to the actual aluminum bottom rail of the windshield atop the "base" formed by the deck. That's a pretty significant difference. Factor in how slanted the bu' windshields are (the rake of the windshield) and it's an even bigger difference. I'd bet the 98+ Responses have an even longer measurement than your Echelon. Wow, we're actually measuring the noses of our boats. This has gotten out of hand :P

i know the newer CB boats aren't really selling well, but it's amazing how many older CB i still see cruising the lakes around central minnesota.

one of my buddies has an old stars and stripes w/ a hopped up 351 and four blade prop....that old thing really rips out of the hole and is a beauty of a boat, he's down by litchfield, mn. he hasn't had it out for (4) years, since he discovered sailing, but that's another story.

the other lake we frequent is koronis, near paynesville (about 4,000 acres). i saw the following over the 4th weekend:

CB malibu echelon

CB malibu response

CB nautique

CB ski ray (2)

CB gekko

CB MC 190

the other lake we frequent is lake sylvia, near annandale (about 2,000 acres). i saw the following over the 4th weekend:

CB malibu echelon

CB malibu response (2)

CB ski nautique (3) -(2) old school 2001's and (1) newer body style

CB MC stars and stripes (2)

overall, i'd say that the CB boats are about even with the open bow inboards (v-drives + direct drives). it seems many folks just hang onto their stuff for a long time up here. i've only seen (3) wake specific boats on our local lakes....one malibu 23 xti, one mastercraft 197 wake edition, and one centurion something.

around here the fishing boats outnumber the recreation boats 10:1. of the recreation boats, the I/O to inboards are about 10:1. of that very small number of boats (inboards), i'd say half are still CB ski boats.....most of which are 10+ years old and in very nice shape.....if it's paid for and runs/performs great, why get rid of it?

It's 4' 9" from where the deck angles up for the windshield to the tip of the rubrail. If you want to get technical it's 4' 11" to the actual aluminum bottom rail of the windshield atop the "base" formed by the deck. That's a pretty significant difference. Factor in how slanted the bu' windshields are (the rake of the windshield) and it's an even bigger difference. I'd bet the 98+ Responses have an even longer measurement than your Echelon. Wow, we're actually measuring the noses of our boats. This has gotten out of hand :P

The 196 is 6 inches shorter in lenght though, you have to keep that in the equation...

The 196 is 6 inches shorter in lenght though, you have to keep that in the equation...

True. A better measure would be the amount of boat in front of the windshield relative to the amount of boat behind the windshield as a percentage.