Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Closed bow ski boats...

1FootDan

Closed Bow Ski boats  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that Malibu should keep closed-bow boats in their model line-up?

• No, they do not have enough volume.
    • Yes, I prefer closed bow.
    • Yes, to keep in line with competitors who offer at least one closed-bow model.
    • Yes, all ski/performance series models should be made available with the closed bow option.
    • Yes, all models should be made available with the closed bow option.
    • Don't give a crap, but want to see the answers...
  2. 2. Have you ever owned a close-bow boat?

• Yes, I prefer closed bow
    • Yes, but prefer open bow
    • Yes, and I have no preference between open or closed bow.
    • No, but would consider buying one is I had the oportunity
    • No, does not interest me at all
    • No, and I have no preference between open or closed bow.
    • Never owned a boat but want to see the results.
  3. 3. Would you consider buying a closed bow boat in the future?

• Yes, but I don't really have a preference.
    • Yes, for me it's closed bow or nothing. If Malibu can't supply me with a new one, I will change brand.
    • Yes, for me it's closed bow or nothing. If Malibu can't supply me with a new one, I will buy a used Malibu.
    • No, because the models that interest me are not available in the closed bow version.
    • No, I like closed bow but am worried about re-sale value
    • No, for me it's open bow or nothing
    • No, unless I would have a super deal on one
    • No, I am not considering buying any boat but would like to see the results...

In fact I recall someone converting a R to RLX themselves....unless someone has other information, it's actually "easier" for malibu to make a Response.

Here's the guy that did it

http://www.wakesiderides.com/rides/index.p...=out&id=120

It actually looks better IMO than a Factory Made Response LX without the hand rails.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1FootDan

• M3Fan

• SmoothWaterMan

• Sixball

My Response is a closed bow. I ordered it new as a closed bow. The sales person suggested an open bow for better resale. I really did not care then about the possibility of better resale $ and I still don't care about that. I wanted the closed bow because of the storage, and I have no need for extra seating in the front. It's seldom that I have more than 4 people in the boat and if I will have more people than that I would use my pontoon boat anyway. The open bow of the Response LXI is nice but the Response LX "playpen" is just wasted space IMO. I doubt that I will ever buy another new ski boat anyway. Although I can afford to buy new. I will not pay $50K plus for a flippin ski boat!!!!!

Malibu hasn't made a true "closed bow" boat since...CC is the only Big 3 company that offers an actual CB boat...

Which is why if I do end up selling the Sporty it will eventually be replaced by a CB Nautique.

Malibu hasn't made a true "closed bow" boat since...CC is the only Big 3 company that offers an actual CB boat...

Which is why if I do end up selling the Sporty it will eventually be replaced by a CB Nautique.

Idiot.

Idiot.

ROFL.gif You read my mind... I would have never of said it out loud though...

M3, What do you call a CB Sporty? It's even got a different hull than the OB Sporty.

Malibu getting rid of their CB boats is good for CC. It makes their niche boat all the better.

ROFL.gif You read my mind... I would have never of said it out loud though...

That you'd buy a Nautique? Or that you think I'm an idiot? Dontknow.gif

Crazy.gif

Dad had an OB but no one could sit in the bow while the boat was underway, because it blocked his view Dontknow.gif , he should have bought a CB in the first place. Friends boat was a CB Tige, he was a CB type of guy also. I have always liked CB boats. They look sleek and sporty. Rockon.gif

As much as I would love to have a CB Sportster, Response, Echelon or even a Flightcraft. Rockon.gif The function on an OB for my family of five plus friends and other family, will only be practical. Cry.gif

We occasionally hit the public lake with friends who aren't avid skiers and the open bow is nice. But, for the most part, as long as the engine is in the middle where its supposed to be, it tracks well, has a small wake, and the speed control is dialed in, I really couldn't care less about glass vs. seats in the bow. Cheers.gif

Not sure why there are comments about Malibu not making a closed bow ski boat since..... something.... maybe I'm reading it wrong, but Malibu still makes a closed bow ski boat. First 08 I sold was a closed bow Response. And they are still available in 2009.

Peter

thanks for clearing that up Peter.

nobody would ever know unless someone "in the know" (such as yourself) pointed it out as they are not mentioned anywhere on the website or the brochure as far as I can tell.

good to know they are still putting out the response "classic" closed and lx package.

Not sure why there are comments about Malibu not making a closed bow ski boat since..... something.... maybe I'm reading it wrong, but Malibu still makes a closed bow ski boat. First 08 I sold was a closed bow Response. And they are still available in 2009.

Peter

Peter, I meant Malibu has not made a CB boat that's not a "convertible" boat. As in, the windshield and cockpit are still in the "middle" of the boat. Yes, the Response CB is technically "closed bow", but only because it has a different top deck than the RLX. The engine, windshield, cockpit, etc. are all in the exact same spot as the OB version. It's not a dedicated, true CB boat.

88- The Sportster was a true CB boat I suppose, in that the cockpit was pushed as far forward as possible. Good point.

the windshield and cockpit are still in the "middle" of the boat. Yes, the Response CB is technically "closed bow", but only because it has a different top deck than the RLX. The engine, windshield, cockpit, etc. are all in the exact same spot as the OB version. It's not a dedicated, true CB boat.

But isn't that exactly the fact that makes this standout sleek, sportscar look.

I am (and never was) a fan of the CB CC's.

I always found that they look like a frog with the very short nose in front of the windshield.

CB's rules and I would hate to see them disappear from the market!

Response2005-24.jpg

Saison2006-26.jpg

Edited by Chaabo

Peter

Peter, I meant Malibu has not made a CB boat that's not a "convertible" boat. As in, the windshield and cockpit are still in the "middle" of the boat. Yes, the Response CB is technically "closed bow", but only because it has a different top deck than the RLX. The engine, windshield, cockpit, etc. are all in the exact same spot as the OB version. It's not a dedicated, true CB boat.

88- The Sportster was a true CB boat I suppose, in that the cockpit was pushed as far forward as possible. Good point.

I disagree, and do not feel that is true at all.

The 1995 Malibu Response was designed built as a closed bow, just like the Echelon before it, and the 96-up Response after it, and the Sportster from 98-up. The thing that you are basing your statement on is that fact that Malibu did not change the boat to create an open bow. The whole point was to take the beautiful wake of a closed bow and provide the same wake in an open bow. At the time the only way to do it was not change anything.....and they were the first company to make it work.

The Echelon LX, like the Response LXi was designed and built as a true open bow ski boat. The Echelon, Response, and Sportster were all designed and built as a closed bow. The fact that the Response and Sportster were adapted for open bow use has no bearing on the closed bow design.

Peter

ps......why do you feel that the windshield needs to be pushed forward to have a closed bow? All that does is decrease observer seat space, and limit bow storage.

Peter, I doubt we'll ever see eye to eye on this one, but I'll try. I'd be willing to bet that the "CB" boats you mentioned were all engineered for easy conversion to OB from the get-go. That would be aligned with Bu's no-nonsense practical engineering, which has always been an asset to them. CC offered the SNOB model from 92-02 over 2 generations of hulls. Did Bu have a 20' or shorter OB in 92? The conversion was not easy- completely different top deck, and the windshield, engine, cockpit, etc. all had to be pushed back to create it. Different hull mold perhaps had to be used because the driveshaft exited the boat further back. Same outstanding wake. That's because the standard CB SN is not some easily convertible design, because as Chaboo pointed out they have very little in front of the cockpit (I like the frog comparison- totally true). This gives the SN absolutely terrific line of sight for the driver. It also puts weight far forward in the boat- notice all 3 tracking fins on an SN are far ahead of the pylon. I would say that between my friends boats (99 Sporty, 01 RLX, 06 RLXi, 04 R CB) and my club boat (07 and now 08 RLXi) I put more hours on Bu's than I have my own CCs. I have had hundreds of hours driving Bu's. No bu' I've ever driven has offered the same visibility for the driver than my CCs have, and I think that's of paramount importance.

Peter, I doubt we'll ever see eye to eye on this one, but I'll try. I'd be willing to bet that the "CB" boats you mentioned were all engineered for easy conversion to OB from the get-go.

Heh - you're right, we probably won't. I'm not comparing the Response to anything, I'm just stating that I don't believe it was designed for the "future use" as an open bow. The Echelon and the Echelon LX were different decks, and different w/s locations, and the LX was a walk-through. The Response was designed as a blue-collar version of the Echelon....but there wasn't any reason to go shorter, Malibu had a hull design in the Echelon that worked great. So they mated a new top deck and interior to the Echelon hull to create the Response. If the design was "engineered for easy conversion", they would have simply created the Echelon LX as a step-over, not wait 3 years, create another closed bow in order to create a new open bow.

There will always be boats built for everyone, and not everyone will find the same boat as the one for them. I'm not comparing your boats to my boats, but I do have a pretty good understanding of the Malibu lineup from 1993 on. I love driving my short nose Freightliner FL-60, but there are lots of folks that prefer the long-nosed Jag, Infinity, Lexus, and BMW M Coupes. There are a few key individuals that could answer this unequivocally, and I'll be sure to ask next time I speak with one.

Happy skiing,

Peter :)

I love driving my short nose Freightliner FL-60, but there are lots of folks that prefer the long-nosed Jag, Infinity, Lexus, and BMW M Coupes. There are a few key individuals that could answer this unequivocally, and I'll be sure to ask next time I speak with one.

Answer what? Your strange taste in over-the-road transportation??? Tease2.gif

There are a few key individuals that could answer this unequivocally, and I'll be sure to ask next time I speak with one.

Happy skiing,

Let me know what they say, I'm curious to see if my "hunch" is correct. If they designed the long-nosed Response that way purposely for style and a wide observer's seat (at the cost of lengthwise cabin space), then I stand corrected.

If they designed the long-nosed Response that way purposely for style . . .

Well, they wouldn't want it looking like a bathtub, would they? :lol:

Just for clarification to the discussion earlier about the Sportster and Sportster LX having different hulls.

The Sportster and Sportster LX were built in 1998 with the same hull. Owners found out that if you put people up in the bow on a public lake you would now have a bath tub from the rollers coming over the bow. So, Malibu added a body line (a strake alongside that ran up to the bow) who's only purpose was to catch the water when loaded down in front and stop the bow from getting so low. It solved the issues with the first model year and so production went it's merry way. Then someone looked at the number of molds being used and maintained, and asked why we don't use the Sportster LX hull for the closed bow Sportster? It's exactly the same hull, it just has a body line in it, and that doesn't touch the water unless you're sitting it the bow. So the original non-body line mold was abandoned and from that point on once again both Sportster and Sportster LX had the same mold. A MAJOR benefit from this was the same trailer winch stand would once again fit both boats. There were lots of trailers floating around built for the wrong model, and the only difference was bow eye location. (due to the added body line)

The purpose of this little history bit is that the Sportster LX was nothing more than a Sportster with a bow cut out of it. They weren't designed differently, nor were they built differently. The Sportster LX was CHANGED to solve an issue with added weight up front, and the Sportster was changed for the added body line was a good thing. It was evolution in a revolution.

Edited by SmoothWaterMan