Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Closed bow ski boats...

1FootDan

Closed Bow Ski boats  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that Malibu should keep closed-bow boats in their model line-up?

• No, they do not have enough volume.
    • Yes, I prefer closed bow.
    • Yes, to keep in line with competitors who offer at least one closed-bow model.
    • Yes, all ski/performance series models should be made available with the closed bow option.
    • Yes, all models should be made available with the closed bow option.
    • Don't give a crap, but want to see the answers...
  2. 2. Have you ever owned a close-bow boat?

• Yes, I prefer closed bow
    • Yes, but prefer open bow
    • Yes, and I have no preference between open or closed bow.
    • No, but would consider buying one is I had the oportunity
    • No, does not interest me at all
    • No, and I have no preference between open or closed bow.
    • Never owned a boat but want to see the results.
  3. 3. Would you consider buying a closed bow boat in the future?

• Yes, but I don't really have a preference.
    • Yes, for me it's closed bow or nothing. If Malibu can't supply me with a new one, I will change brand.
    • Yes, for me it's closed bow or nothing. If Malibu can't supply me with a new one, I will buy a used Malibu.
    • No, because the models that interest me are not available in the closed bow version.
    • No, I like closed bow but am worried about re-sale value
    • No, for me it's open bow or nothing
    • No, unless I would have a super deal on one
    • No, I am not considering buying any boat but would like to see the results...

With Malibu not offering any more closed-bow boats, just wondering what people think of this? Can any dealers out there share with us how many closed bow boats they have sold in the past few years vs open bow?

Edited by 1FootDan
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1FootDan

• M3Fan

• SmoothWaterMan

• Sixball

Boating is our family hobby, and there just isn't enough room in a closed bow design. And when I can get world class slalom wakes in an RLXi with the kind of room it offers, there is just no reason to go CB.

Boating is our family hobby, and there just isn't enough room in a closed bow design. And when I can get world class slalom wakes in an RLXi with the kind of room it offers, there is just no reason to go CB.

My thoughts as well, if the RLXI can produce a better wake than a CB Response why keep it?

I still want a closed bow Sunsetter LXI from the model years 99-04. But with Malibu never making that model, they are a little hard to locate on the used market. That would be my ultimate boat. Maybe they could make a closed bow Response LXI and I could compromise.

I had a buyer lined up for my Echelon over the years, as in when I wanted to sell it he wanted to buy it. I decided I would try to work out a deal with him this spring/last fall, but then another of my freinds bought a 98 Sunsetter LX. My buyer has now decided he wants an open bow.

First of all, who said there's no more Response? Other thread confirmed it's still being made. They'd have to chop the rlx too, b/c the it uses the response mold, and they just cut bow out.

I think they always need to make a CB. It pays homage to the history of all inboards, including 25 foot vdrives. Plus you never have to worry about water coming over bow which is a big advantage that I see. While rlxi handles great, a CB Response resembles a ferrari when on the water. I say bring out the Response SS!

I've been in a closed bow with water over the bow...comes over the bow then cleanly deposits the water over the windshield to the unsuspecting observer seat passengers. Really though, I wasn't driving. Thumbup.gif

First of all, who said there's no more Response? Other thread confirmed it's still being made. They'd have to chop the rlx too, b/c the it uses the response mold, and they just cut bow out.

I think they always need to make a CB. It pays homage to the history of all inboards, including 25 foot vdrives. Plus you never have to worry about water coming over bow which is a big advantage that I see. While rlxi handles great, a CB Response resembles a ferrari when on the water. I say bring out the Response SS!

I don't know what thread you are talking about, but I remember some wanting to buy one (2008 model) and malibu refused. It is the last year of the Response LX anyways, but the mold is in 2 parts, one for the top and the other for the bottom. So it takes 3 molds to mak 2 different models.

If you look at the 2008 brochure, the Response LX is not there (like they did in 2005 for the Sportster whne it was the last year available) and if you look on the website, only the Response LX is available.

great poll Dan!

I've only owned closed bow towboats in the past and love them and their sleek lines. they offer more storage and you dont have to worry as much with water coming over, and I do think that every MFG should offer them, but...

my next boat I want an open bow. biggest reason is resale for me-and we do some cruising so I can throw a kid up there, they can sit down and do their thing without destroying the boat or annoying the adults ! Biggrin.gif

I also agree that if the wake is the same, then why do it? esspecially if you're only selling a handful a year..

eventually the closed bow's may gain resale because they aren't around as much...??? could happen..

great poll Dan!

I've only owned closed bow towboats in the past and love them and their sleek lines. they offer more storage and you dont have to worry as much with water coming over, and I do think that every MFG should offer them, but...

my next boat I want an open bow. biggest reason is resale for me-and we do some cruising so I can throw a kid up there, they can sit down and do their thing without destroying the boat or annoying the adults ! Biggrin.gif

I also agree that if the wake is the same, then why do it? esspecially if you're only selling a handful a year..

eventually the closed bow's may gain resale because they aren't around as much...??? could happen..

You can also throw them in the bow of a closed-bow. It is safer because they can't fall overboard and quieter... Biggrin.gif

I don't know what thread you are talking about, but I remember some wanting to buy one (2008 model) and malibu refused. It is the last year of the Response LX anyways, but the mold is in 2 parts, one for the top and the other for the bottom. So it takes 3 molds to mak 2 different models.

If you look at the 2008 brochure, the Response LX is not there (like they did in 2005 for the Sportster whne it was the last year available) and if you look on the website, only the Response LX is available.

I think that is correct. You can still get the Response LX, but not the plain old Response anymore. However, if you add all the stuff the RLXi already comes with, the cost is about the same for the RLX and RLXi.

My ski buddy has an old '91 MC Prostar 190(closed bow) I like it, but I have also seen water come over the bow and right into the drivers lap before..Pretty funny actually.

My thoughts as well, if the RLXI can produce a better wake than a CB Response why keep it?

It can't. My Cousin has a brand new 2008 RLXi with SSP and it's wake is not as good as mine. The last two years, the RLXi wake has gone to crap IMO.

What if Malibu just made a hard bow cover for the open bow boats...... similar to what is on the new Vette?

That would be a good compromise... anybody know if it can support the weight of a person?

What if Malibu just made a hard bow cover for the open bow boats...... similar to what is on the new Vette?

Only solves the water issue not the storage and the look issue.

That would be a good compromise... anybody know if it can support the weight of a person?

I'm not sure. I saw one and actually sat in it and played with stuff at the boat show earlier this year. I raised and lowered the bow cover a few times and it felt light, so I imagine it would need to be thicker material to support a person's weight.

Besides..no one "needs" to walk on the bow anyways, do they? If there is a need to walk up there, then go Open bow

I'm not saying you're wrong, but Smoothwaterman (dealer) posted that R and RLX still available in the 09 new model thread. You sure you heard that Malibu refused to build a CB. or that dealer said that Malibu refused, I think there's a big difference. Also, where have you heard this is the last year for the RLX? Correct there is a hull and deck mold for each boat but the R and RLX are the same. Center of bow is just cut out for RLX. In fact I recall someone converting a R to RLX themselves....unless someone has other information, it's actually "easier" for malibu to make a Response.

It can't, IMHO, as an owner of a 2008 RLXi.

Dan, IIUC, the R & RLX are made the same, but the bow is cut out to create the OB. Also, I believe you CAN get the R, it just isn't advertised or common. It will be a shameful day if they drop the RLX--it is still the best slalom machine out there.

Malibu hasn't made a true "closed bow" boat since the Euro F3/Skier days. A "closed bow" Response is nothing more than a Response LX with a different top deck. In the case of RLX vs. CB Response, you really are losing space by going with the CB Response because nothing else changes in the boat. IMO a true CB boat is one that actually has the advantages of a CB and couldn't be converted to an OB boat without everything being moved back- very short nose in front of the windshield and terrific driver sightlines and seating position, and a nice long cabin area from everything being moved forward. CC is the only Big 3 company that offers an actual CB boat that retains these advantages of being a true CB. The MC PS190 and Response CB are nothing more than "convertible" boats with no real advantage over their OB brethren.

As for looks, I think we've gotten used to how OB ski boats look- they've grown on us a bit over the past 10-15 years. Because of this, we may have forgotten how much cooler the CB ski boats look!

Plus1.gif

Had two CB boats, will never own one again.

As for looks, I think we've gotten used to how OB ski boats look- they've grown on us a bit over the past 10-15 years. Because of this, we may have forgotten how much cooler the CB ski boats look!

This from a Correct Craft owner?! :)Tease2.gif

Interesting observations. I drove my friend's 95 PS 190 last night (can't drive MY boat). The wife commented on the amount of space between front seats and motorbox. I commented, looking over the bow, that it was driving a sports car!

I strongly prefer the closed bow Response. There is a lot of storage up front on a closed bow for the boom, skis, lifejackets, and wakeboard. If you want to just ski and not cruise, it is nice to not have a bunch of equipment piled all over the boat (behind the driver's seat). If you are buying the Response classic you are probably not out with more than 3 - 4 total anyway.