Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What is the 'best' trailer

IamN2Speed

So I likely won't go out any buy a new trailer for the Bu, but man, am I dissapointed in the engineering of this SBTrailer.

I am in the process of completely replacing the brake system in this thing because both the rubber lines were litterally cut in half. The lines come straight out of the calipers and when the trailer moves up & down on the suspension, it actually makes contact with the lines, and cut them. Who the hell engineered that design?

Basically, now that I've got under the trailer, I'm really dissapointed with the quality of this thing. What other trailers are out there that are nice? If I knew a couple of months ago, what I know now, I would look for some of the following:

• Brakes on both axles
  • Leaf spring suspension
  • A better surge system that what this thing has...

So what trailer is out there that's really nice that I should look for next time?

-Keith

Extreme makes a nice trailer. I'm also happy with my Ryan trailer, which is what my boat came with since it originated from the northwest

Extreme makes a nice trailer. I'm also happy with my Ryan trailer, which is what my boat came with since it originated from the northwest

Where've you been? Crazy.gif

I have both a SBT and Extreme, hands down Extreme. Most manufactures offer upgrades too 4 wheel disc brakes, a huge improvement from the SBT to the Extreme along with the torsion axles vs. the older leaf spring concept. Add all that an the best bling bling trailer made today...

I had a Ryan trailer on my last boat as well that I really liked.. But I have a Boat Mate now and this definitely takes the cake... Doesn't have alot of options but is a great trailer...

..... along with the torsion axles vs. the older leaf spring concept. Add all that an the best bling bling trailer made today...

So the torsion axles are better than the leaf springs? I have those on this SBT trailer. On my Echelon trailer, it's leafs, and it does sqeak something fierce. I guess that's one advantage of the torsion?

-Keith

Edited by IamN2Speed

I had a SBT under a '99 LXI and had to re wire the thing within about a year.

Now I have an Extreme under the VLX and it has been great. I was not excited about the torsion axles or the oil bath hubs.... Well I'm 50/50. I love the torsion axles but had 1 hub seal go bad on the garage floor....

I vote Extreme!

Pat

I have a DHM, I've been happy with it but if I bought a new boat, I would buy an Extreme. they have a lot of options available and look sweet.

I've got a dorsey tandem axle that I've actually been really happy with. They need some better rims but the trailer is rock solid. Also, the guides are great when pulling the boat on, my wife has no problems like she did with our boatmate.

I have an extreme trailer and have been less than happy with it. It's was an 05 trailer and in 06 I had to replace all the bunks the wood had a ton of knots and one was actually fractured. I have had nothing but problem with the brakes. So in my opinion I would not get the extreme trailer. Also had to replace all bearings. Dontknow.gif

from a functional standpoint, my boatmate has been very solid.

we trailer near daily, from mid march to xmas, and it's stood the test of time.

i wipe down the boat AND trailer every time the boat gets wet.

i blame the dealership for not recommending a trailer with (more) corrossion protection.

we ski if the pond isn't frozen so we do see some salt on the roads.

the salesman knew that and i feel he didn't do his job.

in all fairness i guess i should have known it (but didn't).

as a result i have a very corroded trailer.

boatmate wants nearly the price of a new trailer to clean this one up.

the dealer doesn't care to discuss swapping my rusted hulk for their yard trailer.

i've got a really pretty, well cared for, 04 response sitting on a trailer that looks like a pos.

i'm bummed.

Yeah I have a SBT also and it's definitely a POS. But I have to say that the SBT under Malibududes old boat is a huge improvement over mine.

If new trailers weren't so expensive, I'd get a new one.

Yeah I have a SBT also and it's definitely a POS. But I have to say that the SBT under Malibududes old boat is a huge improvement over mine.

If new trailers weren't so expensive, I'd get a new one.

The biggest upgrade was the boxed frame rather than just the open box style from '99 to '00.

Ryan Trailer's. 4 full length bunks, Concealed brake lines, Large Plastic Caster Wheels, Reverse lights in between the tires to light up fenders, Laser cut backlit logos (not stickers), Full length steps in the rear to make loading on and off platform easy, Full tube steel construction, Center bar that runs from the front of the A-frame back to the first cross member vs. just going across. I prefer the softer ride of the leaf springs and the peace of mind of the greas bearing that I can get to and also limp home if I've blown a seal vs. the torsion axle and the sealed oil bath.

http://www.bakesmarine.com/MarineCenter/Bo...antrailers.html

I'm obviously biased but I do know there are other nice trailers. The link doesn't show all the latest bling available but some.

I've been very happy with my DHM trailer. They really stand behind their work and they're not far from Roseville at all. The UFP brake system in the tongue and the actual caliphers SUCKS. Oh well.

It's real easy to order parts from DHM on line, Extreme doesn't even offer a website for parts, you have to call them.

DHM

I've been very happy with my DHM trailer. They really stand behind their work and they're not far from Roseville at all. The UFP brake system in the tongue and the actual caliphers SUCKS. Oh well.

It's real easy to order parts from DHM on line, Extreme doesn't even offer a website for parts, you have to call them.

DHM

That's ok the extreme trailers don't break anyways. Whistling.gif

That's good to know... My SBT now has full Kodiak brake system on it now, and I really like the quality of the parts. Looking forward to using it now. I would still have preferred dual disks, maybe I'll upgrade to that next.

DHM

Another good tidbit of information. Based on the reply's here, I think I'd go with the DHM trailer next time.

-Keith

Living here in the NW, I have a Ryan like most. The biggest thing people with other brands of trailers comment on are the full length steps in the rear. It is so easy to get in and out of the boat while on the trailer.

Other than that, IMHO the Ryan looks very "clean" and not too "bling". Some of the optional "bling" on the Extreame looks a little like a bolted on afterthought.

Edited by Lgndracer
Living here in the NW, I have a Ryan like most. The biggest thing people with other brands of trailers comment on are the full length steps in the rear. It is so easy to get in and out of the boat while on the trailer.

Other than that, IMHO the Ryan looks very "clean" and not too "bling". Some of the optional "bling" on the Extreame looks a little like a bolted on afterthought.

Sometimes the extreme trailers look way to nice. I appreciate the fact they come standard with griptape on the fenders however.

I have owned both Extreme with my 03 Wakesetter and a Boatmate with my 06 and I think the Boatmate is a better built trailer then my Extreme. The Extreme looked nice but thats about it, the bunk carpet wore out fast and the wood was super cheap also the paint chipped easy and would peel off in large sections. Our Malibu Dealer is using a Trailer made by EZ-Loader called the Illusion and it looks super nice comes standard with 20" wheels, LEDS, Lighted Malibu Logo's, Stainless tube steps and so forth. I will be curious to see what people think about it as time goes bye.

Edited by jessem

I've had great luck with Performance trailers, but only people out here in New England get them. Not nearly as fancy, but not nearly as expensive and they do go down the road nice.

-Chris