Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

NorCal Fires messing up my season

lewistonskier

Just cashing in on the misery loves company aspect of the site. So I finally get my first boat in March. It needed some work, and I finally got it all done. I ski behind it for the first time Sunday night (one of the greates feelings in the world) and now the area I live in (about five miles south of Lake Trinity in NorCal) has several forest fires that were started by a lightning storm over the weekend and smoke is so thick that visability sucks and it is unhealthy to breath. After 4 days, containment on the two major fires are at 5% and 10% so the smoke isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I had planed on being on the water two or three times a week, but it looks like it could be another month before my season will get started. Cry.gif Not threat to my house though, so at least there is some good news. Sorry to rant, hope everyone else in CA is doing all right with the amount wild fires going on.

Just talked to my brother who is in Redding. He said your f'ed in Lewiston.

Time to start thinking about where your going to go if it gets really bad. Or where you will spend the 4th of July weekend.

Heres some pics of what their looking at from his home & the SkySki shop.

post-821-1214529066_thumb.jpg

post-821-1214529077_thumb.jpg

Hope everything works out for you guys up there!!!!! My allergies have gone haywire from the smoke from the fires around here. USA.gif

We changed our plans for the tomorrow and the weekend. Probably hitting the Coast tomorrow. We have Tues-Sunday off next week, hopefully it clears up.

Normally allergies and smoke don't bother me, but my lungs were burning this afternoon. Looks like we are living on Mars, or downtown Beijing Mad.gif

More dry lightning expected today and tomorrow. Cry.gif Got home from the lake last Sunday evening and watched a fire about 8 air miles away crawl up the side of a mountain unchecked. I'm actually going shopping today for a pump I can drop in the pool. 10,000 gallons of water will go a long way. With an 1 1/2 inch hose, I can expect excellent knockdown capabilities according to my fireman buddies.

More dry lightning expected today and tomorrow. Cry.gif Got home from the lake last Sunday evening and watched a fire about 8 air miles away crawl up the side of a mountain unchecked. I'm actually going shopping today for a pump I can drop in the pool. 10,000 gallons of water will go a long way. With an 1 1/2 inch hose, I can expect excellent knockdown capabilities according to my fireman buddies.

good idea....our fire resources are stretched way too thin right now. There are quite a few fires burning in the state that have no personnel fighting them.

good idea....our fire resources are stretched way too thin right now. There are quite a few fires burning in the state that have no personnel fighting them.

That's for sure!!! I heard on the news this morning that we have firefighters from 41 states here in California helping to knock down these fires.

Thank God for those firefighters. Thumbup.gif

The fire's didn't stop me from heading out boarding last night. Matter of fact because the wind is dead we had some great water, yes it was a little harder to breath and yes I know its not good.

We've talked about the fires, but it's not stopping us. We'll be at Don Pedro this weekend, and I'll need the water to hide from the smoke :)

The fire's didn't stop me from heading out boarding last night. Matter of fact because the wind is dead we had some great water, yes it was a little harder to breath and yes I know its not good.

Probably don't have to spend as much on cigarettes though. Dontknow.gif

Yeah, that is why I'm feeling it more, but have to keep moving forward. I guess if somebody did smoke it wouldn't effect them as bad, (smoking, only when heavily intoxicated) maybe 2 per year :)

Edited by 68Slalom
We've talked about the fires, but it's not stopping us. We'll be at Don Pedro this weekend, and I'll need the water to hide from the smoke :)

I hear the lake is socked in with smoke, but I will be up there Sunday anyway.

Yeah, that is why I'm feeling it more, but have to keep moving forward. I guess if somebody did smoke it wouldn't effect them as bad, (smoking, only when heavily intoxicated) maybe 2 per year :)

It give's me the opputunity to see how a smoker feels with out taking up smoking and saving the $$$ for gas.

Yeah, I hope the fire situation gets better... but it didnt stop me, I was at Don Pedro Yesterday.. Water conditions were great.. it was smooth almost everywhere we went..

Normally I might be willing to tough it out in the smoke, but until this afternoon, visability was only a couple hundred yards. Didn't seem too safe for boating. My wife is pregnant, so we have to be extra careful about going out in the smoke as well.

We came up to the lake last night and the smoke here is pretty thick. It turns a dark night into a pitch black night.

This morning, you can't see across the lake. From my buoy, you can barely see the big bridge over the middle and south fork.

Funny thing is, it doesn't smell all that smoky. However it did a few times last night. I assume it's from the wind (breeze) shifting.

• 4 weeks later...
Wow, gettin loooooow.

That's cool. I saw a report in the Oroville paper saying that the plane was up at Shasta. They also warned boaters at Oroville that that plane might use Oroville to pick up water to fight some of the Butte County fires. I don't think they ever used it though in Butte County.

When we drove down on Friday we saw that plane on a buoy at Bridge Bay. That thing is impressively large, I can't imagine getting it off of the water with a full load. The staging area for the choppers that is set up north of Redding as you come down the hill from Shasta is also impressive to say the least.