Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

02 Sportster LX

Killer

I'm looking at a 02 sporty LX under 300hrs on it. mint condition, well maintained, nice single axle trailer, etc. has a wedge but that's about it for accy's. asking price is 17,900 - which is right around Nada value

I wasn't looking at something so new because of price, but I've found a lot of boats in the 97-99 era in the 15k range. specifically 97 reponse and lx models, 98-99 sporty closed bows and 97 prostar 190s

1. is the open bow worth spending more on?

2. are the 3 year worth it?

3. is the wedge worth it?

4. is it worth 17-18k?

those 3 things for me almost seem like its worth it & I'd like to offer 17k even for it which I think he'd take.

also like to hear if this model year sporty's had any issues or problems that I'd need to look out for or take care of

thanks

H2

I'm looking at a 02 sporty LX under 300hrs on it. mint condition, well maintained, nice single axle trailer, etc. has a wedge but that's about it for accy's. asking price is 17,900 - which is right around Nada value

I wasn't looking at something so new because of price, but I've found a lot of boats in the 97-99 era in the 15k range. specifically 97 reponse and lx models, 98-99 sporty closed bows and 97 prostar 190s

1. is the open bow worth spending more on?

2. are the 3 year worth it?

3. is the wedge worth it?

4. is it worth 17-18k?

those 3 things for me almost seem like its worth it & I'd like to offer 17k even for it which I think he'd take.

also like to hear if this model year sporty's had any issues or problems that I'd need to look out for or take care of

thanks

H2

1. No closed bow sportster has more storage area. Open bow is useless.

4. Yes

5. Sportster is a great little boat for barefoot and slalom - I wish Malibu would put it back in production.

There is no question that an open bow (even a step over open bow) is far more valuable at resale time than a closed bow.

This has been covered here(and MBO) numerous times in the last 7 years. The CB is working its way toward being a thing of the past. The 196 is the only boat which is prominent in a sales line with a CB.

As for your other questions, I think an 02 sporty is a fine choice. I think in 02 they still had the 310 carb as a powerplant which is a great engine. Tons of torque and a speed machine, too.

Unless you always have a crew of 4 or more, you will be extremely happy with an 02 Sporty.

The open bow actually works out pretty good for storage. I pulled out the seat bottom & use the front for small coolers & extra gear . All the small stuff you don't need to be tripping over in the back.

I bought my 01 in 03 with 430 hrs for 17k. The only option mine had was the wedge. The boat was well maintained but had some vinyl repairs so I wouldn't call it mint. I have around 700 hrs with regular maintenance it's been a great boat .

I'm not familiar with the Sporty, but I just traded up from a '95 Malibu Tantrum (closed bow) to a '98 Sunsetter LX (open bow), and I have to say that I absolutely hated the closed bow.

I'm not familiar with the Sporty, but I just traded up from a '95 Malibu Tantrum (closed bow) to a '98 Sunsetter LX (open bow), and I have to say that I absolutely hated the closed bow.

For me, it is the opposite. I have owned just 1 (non malibu) open bow and I didn't like the experience. What I like about the closed bow is:

• the look
    the extra storage for boom and Skylon
    the look
    les maintenance (no extra bow seat cushion + carpet area)
    the look
    if you acccidentally nose dive into a wake, your bow doesn't fill up with water (actually saw a Response Lx sink because of that... and the fact it was loaded with ballasts and about 8 people...)
    the look
    nobody in front of you when you drive to block your vision
    the look
    no pocket of water on your canvas in the bow area when in rains
    oh yeah...and the look...

I love the look too, and the look as well lol

I'd rather have a CB, and for the last 15 years I've had one, but my family wants an open bow... the resale is something as well.

I'm basically comparing a 99 sporty to an 02 LX and the difference in price is 2000-2500. if it was 5k difference I'd take the 99 in a flash and buy the family an old beater with an open bow...

thanks for your insight guys n gals

I am a fan of the open bow but I do have a family and need to put more than 3 people in the boat sometimes. I wouldn't buy another boat without the open bow.

Personnally, I have 3 sons and do not have an issue with not having a closed bow. I don't have the rear seat in, but have 2 jump seats. So it sits 5, plus one skiing, makes 6 which is the max passenger recommendation anyways...

Note that I am dock parked so I do not have to pack gear and coolers for the day. Those stay at the dock...

The hull on the Sporty LX is actually slightly different than the CB Sporty. I don't know if the wake is any different between the two, but the LX has an extra body line at the water level.

02 sporty LX...asking price is 17,900 - which is right around Nada value

$17,900 might be it's NADA value before adding the trailer. My 2000 booked out at $16,900 + the trailer booked at $2300 for a total of $19,200 so if you could nab a two year newer boat for under $18K that would be a very good deal. My guess would be that the seller doesn't realize that NADA doesn't include the trailer.

keep in mind Nada is a "guide", but 2500 for the trailer is definitely on the high side unless you were selling it seperate, and even then its high for an 8+ year old trailer... JMO

now mind you this 02 is in ohio... but its mint with less hrs... 17.5k is his bottom line so you're not far. Mike wants 16 +/- for his 98 LX which is a little high IMO and I'm not sure the fact it has 180hrs is a positive thing??? at 15 its attractive though and it has some nice goodies too (PP and the wedge being the most)

if you were closer I'd take a peak, and I think 16-17 is a good price for a 00 lx in great cond like yours seems to be (even though its a swampster!)

I"m going to look at a few in MI today... hope to come back with a new sporty!! Clap.gif

if you were closer I'd take a peak, and I think 16-17 is a good price for a 00 lx in great cond like yours seems to be (even though its a swampster!)

:Doh: I should probably take that out of my profile. :lol:

Single axle trailer with swing away tongue, surge disc brakes, spare tire, custom wheels, integrated boat guides and aluminum step plates. Near new condition as I live ~ ½ mile from the launch...I don't think $2300 is valuing it excessively. :unsure:

Good luck finding one near you. They are fun boats. Still not sure that I really want to sell mine, we just aren't using it that much.