Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Monsoon oil pressure ?'s

I just did and oil change, filter and impeller and because of that, my first trip out I was paying close attention to the oil pressure gauge. Does your boat (with Monsoon) pin the oil pressure gauge (I think 80 psi) at full throttle. Most of the time I cruise around at 20-25 MPH and the OP gauge reads just above the mid-mark of the gauge, I think that's about 40-50 psi. At high speeds or full throttle it pins the gauge. It should increase, I get that, just wondering if it should pin it???

Anyone know???

If the oil is still cold, I come close to pinning it. But once the oil is at operating temperature, it won't go above 60.

Mine is buried most of time, cept at idle. Hittin on 1200 hrs. Don't know if it should be or not. But MBC said it was ok long ago.......better than low for sure!

Mine is buried most of time, cept at idle. Hittin on 1200 hrs. Don't know if it should be or not. But MBC said it was ok long ago.......better than low for sure!

My 02 Monsoon oil guage reads at 80 psi at throttle and backs down at idle. Dealer also said that is normal. You are fine

I think this is normal if you have a one wire sending unit on the older monsoons. I think malibu changed it up to a 3 stage wiring system to the sending unit in the newer boats and don't have that problem anymore. In some cases they thought it was because it needed an extra ground I think. However, i'm not sure if that ever fixed the problem. The sending unit's that they put on the boats around that time were not that great. They are switched out now. Dontknow.gif

thats what I was thinking, how accurate is your guage. On my 03, my guage is all over the place. I hooked up a manual guauge T'd off the sending unit so I could see how accurate the dash guage was, and get a better idea of exactly what the pressure was. Seems I need to replace my sending unit every 2 years or so

hmmm, mabye I should try replacing mine. Did you replace it because it pegged all the time and just got tired of it? I never have replaced mine, but basically this is what happens: At idle, it's about 45 PSI, then at wakeboard speed with full ballast, wedge and several people (24.7 mph = 3400 RPM I think), it sits almost at the point where it's at 80 PSI or pegged sometimes. It definately pegs when I have it near WOT (wide open throttle)

I have an '07 VLX with a Monsoon and the oil pressure at idle is between 40 and 43 PSI on the gauge. Runs right around 60 and 63 PSI when running at 3800 to 4000 RPM. You should definately see the pressure change depending on the load you have on the engine, but I would not expect it to peg out the gauge at 80. Might be time for a new oil pressure sending unit or check the ground on the connection to ensure it is a soild connection.

Mine was all over the place last year. It would drop to about 10 when I pulled off the throttle, and go anywhere between 30 and 80 while running. I replaced the single wire sender for $30 and now it runs around 40 at idle & 60 pulling when warm. A little higher at full throttle and when warming up.