Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How do you determine skiers share of gas?

phishfan

I would really like to know how everyone handles the topic of chipping in for gas. I invite friends and family all summer long, but don't want to be cheap and ask for gas money. The regulars always give me gas or bring food etc... however, with the price now bring so high now, does anyone have a system that works that is fair? I think it's going to cost about $160-180 to fill the tank each time.

For example, some people slalom/barefoot and go for 15-20+ minute sets while others trick ski 18mph for less time.

Do you just charge a flat fee ($15 or $20 each) or just accept what they give you?

I would love a ski meter (like a taxi) where I just push a button and your clock starts, but that's probably not going to happen.

Thanks!

I would really like to know how everyone handles the topic of chipping in for gas. I invite friends and family all summer long, but don't want to be cheap and ask for gas money. The regulars always give me gas or bring food etc... however, with the price now bring so high now, does anyone have a system that works that is fair? I think it's going to cost about $160-180 to fill the tank each time.

For example, some people slalom/barefoot and go for 15-20+ minute sets while others trick ski 18mph for less time.

Do you just charge a flat fee ($15 or $20 each) or just accept what they give you?

I would love a ski meter (like a taxi) where I just push a button and your clock starts, but that's probably not going to happen.

Thanks!

I've talked with all my regulars and we've pretty much agreed it's $20 every time they come out. Typically this includes 2 sets of around 15-20 minutes. Had one regular just as me a few days ago what it really costs to board. I told him $10 a set. I got to thinking about it and my per hour cost on this thing over the last year worked out to around $110 a hour! Ouchy mama!!!

I don't expect others to pay for my boat, but every little bit helps. And if we're doing the family thing, I don't expect the other family to pay.

I just fill up the truck and boat on the way home, easy way for everyone to see the total. Generally most people pitch in without me having to ask. Last weekend was $100 in the truck and $150 in the boat...uga.

I have never asked or taken gas money. It is part of owning a boat and asking people to go with you.

Without my group of ski partners, I would never get to ski as we need 3 people in IL. There is no logical reason to ask them for money so I can ski.

I have given $$ to others, however it is rare to find someone who will accept it.

I give 10 bucks a pull and will accept about the same.

I know we did some barefootin behind my boat and I am pretty sure I could see the local gas station attendant celebrating.

We tend to fall into martho's camp, although there are times when we won't take no for an answer when offering money or buying gas for others. It just depends on the situation.

If you want to do the math, then figure out your burn rate. An average is usually good since it sounds like you use your boat in a variety of ways & it will average out. For example: we figure that our burn rate is about 6 gallons per hour (that's on the heavy side, I think that we're more like 5.5/hour, but I like round numbers). So in my example, for every 10 minutes that we run the boat, we go through 1 gallon of gas. At $4.50 per gallon, that's $9 in gas for a 20 minute set. Then when you figure insurance, cost to get the boat to/from the lake, & (if you want to) cost of the boat it goes up from there. So if you start with your burn rate, you'll be able to figure out something that you'll be comfortable with.

And the more people around here are willing to contribute, the more often my boat will see the water. Everyone is on board with that philosophy so it works for us. I'd love to be making enough to refuse gas money since I bought this boat to enjoy with others. But the wallet just isn't full enough to give a free ride. Some day it will be and we'll all look back at the memories.

I'm really at odds with this topic, because, I was brought up to always bring something when I visit someone. I think it's impolite to ask for money or anything in exchange if you invite someone over. It's kind of rude to invite friends for dinner and then say that'll be $20. I think the gas topic is a little different and should be treated as such.

To to keep this topic clear, I don't expect anyone to pay for my gas/fun. I supply the boat, gear, insurance, cottage, maintenance, etc...and just think it would nice/fair for others to chip in on there share of gas. I do expect regular skiers to chip in, however, I don't expect my once a year guest who shows up to pay. If they offer, I'll decline, but they usually insist. It also really depends on who it is. Okay, enough of my rant.

Edited by phishfan

If I had any "regular" ski partners that didn't contribute, I would ask them to share the cost of fuel, but I wouldn't ask for, or probably even accept contributions from other people that occasionally tag along. Their presense just adds to my enjoyment anyway, and it's surprisingly difficult to get people to come out.

If I had any "regular" ski partners that didn't contribute, I would ask them to share the cost of fuel, but I wouldn't ask for, or probably even accept contributions from other people that occasionally tag along. Their presense just adds to my enjoyment anyway, and it's surprisingly difficult to get people to come out.

That is one thing I was completely surprised about. I couldn't believe how hard it was to get families to come out with us. Regular boarders on the other hand are there at the drop of a hat :)

We keep a visible decorated container on the boat for gas contributions. It has a note that says, "Thank You! and Have a great time!" on the inside if they open it to put money in it. That way we don't have to ask. Most people give about $20 for a couple of pulls. That's for the regulars who come out all the time. I agree with the others that people who come out once a year shouldn't be expected to contribute.

I'm really at odds with this topic, because, I was brought up to always bring something when I visit someone. I think it's impolite to ask for money or anything in exchange if you invite someone over. It's kind of rude to invite friends for dinner and then say that'll be $20. I think the gas topic is a little different and should be treated as such.

To to keep this topic clear, I don't expect anyone to pay for my gas/fun. I supply the boat, gear, insurance, cottage, maintenance, etc...and just think it would nice/fair for others to chip in on there share of gas. I do expect regular skiers to chip in, however, I don't expect my once a year guest who shows up to pay. If they offer, I'll decline, but they usually insist. It also really depends on who it is. Okay, enough of my rant.

And that's why I added the qualifier of being comfortable with what you decide. It's a tough subject, true enough. I'm not sure though that the comparison of inviting people to dinner is fair. You can't choose how much to pay for gas (not by more than a few pennies per gallon anyway), but you can choose whether to feed your guests burgers on the grill instead of fillet mignon. Not a good comparison IMO.

I figure I'm buying the boat, slip, insurance, maintenance, etc. And of course the gas. The more contributions, the more I can afford to run the boat on the water. So I accept whatever people give us. And if they give, we invite them back. If after the 3rd or 4th time, they still are not contributing, then we don't invite them back........ it's been a few years since that happened though.

Also, if they are just tagging along, watching us ride, then I don't expect anything.

sorry. bad comparision. I agree with you.

Believe me, I understand how you feel. On a similar subject, my husband recently took our RV on an annual trip that our school does near the end of each year. It is about 360 miles round trip, & at 8mpg....well you do the math. Anyway, a whole bunch of other parents road with him over & back, yet most only gave around $5 in gas if they gave anything at all (there was one parent that stayed in the RV overnight & he gave $50). We figure that the trip cost us around $200 just in gas, minus the fact that slider didn't have to find a hotel room, so it wasn't that bad. I understand that some don't have the money, but to say that I was surprised by the lack of thought on that would be an understatement. Not trying to complain, I just thought that people would figure that even if you're traveling in a car getting 30+mpg, you'd still spend $50 in gas. It just seemed a little thoughtless to me.

Wow, I can't believe some of you don't even expect people to chip in on Gas. Especially if they are skiing and enjoying the water sports YOU are providing for them. If you ski, you pay. If you don't ski, you don't pay is my philosophy.

Last time I checked, my boat does not run on THANKS!

If someone does not want to chip in on gas in my boat, then they can buy their own darn boat. Then they will think differently when someone "tags" along for a free ride/pull all the time.

I am actually very lucky, because all my ski buddies have boats too. So we basically rotate from boat to boat so it all works out in the end. However, if I was the only one with a boat, you bet your two cheeks they would be chipping in for gas.

I never ask, but will take it from a regular if offered. never from one timers.

I would rather have the company and pay for it than not go out or go by myself. plus there is nothing more entertaining than teaching someone to barefoot ROFL.gif . I think I would pay extra to some people to teach them Whistling.gif

I figure I'm buying the boat, slip, insurance, maintenance, etc. And of course the gas. The more contributions, the more I can afford to run the boat on the water. So I accept whatever people give us. And if they give, we invite them back. If after the 3rd or 4th time, they still are not contributing, then we don't invite them back.

I live by this also, newbie get off the first couple times but they eventually offer to pay. I wish they would just bring full gas cans....

I never ask when it is a regular ski run. If on an extended trip, then everyone pools money for gas/food/houseboat/etc...

I'm of the opinion mentioned above. I'm going to ski, and don't expect anyone else to pay for my fun. My regulars will get to the pump with their credit card before I do on occasion, and all is well. I need people to come with me, or I cant ski. They are my guests and don't expect anything more than thanks, respect of the boat, and help cleaning the boat. I truly enjoy having others on my boat and enjoying it. that makes it all worth while to me.

If I'm out skiing with someone else, I'll typically drop $20 for a half day and $40 if it's more like a full day. If I'm entertaining on my family's boat, I'll graciously accept any donations but never ask. I think the majority of guests are clueless as to how much gas these things burn.

I never ask when it is a regular ski run. If on an extended trip, then everyone pools money for gas/food/houseboat/etc...

I'm of the opinion mentioned above. I'm going to ski, and don't expect anyone else to pay for my fun. My regulars will get to the pump with their credit card before I do on occasion, and all is well. I need people to come with me, or I cant ski. They are my guests and don't expect anything more than thanks, respect of the boat, and help cleaning the boat. I truly enjoy having others on my boat and enjoying it. that makes it all worth while to me.

Exactly the same with me. I do on occasion find $20 bills when cleaning my boat out, though. I'm going to be out there anyway and putting gas in my boat is just another part of owning a boat. I wouldn't expect people to chip in for my payment or insurance, either.

All I ask is that they take their *&^% shoes off. The occasional guest need not contribute, especially if they aren't ridin'. Like has been said above, I wouldn't be able to enjoy it as much if it was just me. All the regulars we ski/ride with have boats and we each contribute to the other. 2 years ago, I never took money, but now @ $4/gallon I will gladly take it, but I don't expect it.

BTW, a typical slalom set is ~1-1.5 gallons of gas, so about $4-6/set. Not sure about the other sports.

Edited by Brodie
I think the majority of guests are clueless as to how much gas these things burn.

Unless they have their own boat, they are indeed clueless.

Exactly.... If they would just help me clean the beast after a hot day on the lake that would be all I would ask. We recently met another malibu owner and now have a great arrangment. He pulls the travel trailer and I take the boat. We usually split good and beverage. Works great!!!