Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine Shutdown Problem on Sunsetter 23 XTi

Curtis in Conroe

I have a 2005 Malibu Sunsetter 23 XTi equipped with a Monsoon 340 hp Indmar engine.

I have a problem with the engine not shutting down / turning off. Details are as follows:

- ignition key will engage the starter fine

- when key is turned off the engine keeps running

- turning off the key DOES shut down the stereo & dash instruments

- tried killing the engine via the kill switch below the throttle control, but that did nothing (just kept running)

- removed the ignition switch from dash and disconnected all 4 wires; tried to shut down by manually shorting different combination of those wires (no success)

- finally killed the engine by un-plugging one wire towards the back of the engine (it was dark and late at night so at this stage I'm not sure what that wire went to)

Questions....

(1) Is the most likely culprit the dash ignition switch (internal fault) ?

(2) Has anyone seen this problem and if so what was the problem / solution ?

(3) Are the ignition switch and the kill switch normally connected in series (as they neither of them worked) ?

(4) What would make the kill switch fail (if it's not connected in series to the master ignition) ?

The weekend is quickly approaching (tomorrow !!) so I'm hoping for some swift advise and an easy solution...

Many Thanks - Curtis on Conroe

Wow! This is a new one on me, but I'm sure some of our electrical experts on here will help you out.

In the meantime, if you have a similar experience involving your gas tank let us know. I'd love for the boat to keep running even if the tank is empty. ;)

Wow! This is a new one on me, but I'm sure some of our electrical experts on here will help you out.

In the meantime, if you have a similar experience involving your gas tank let us know. I'd love for the boat to keep running even if the tank is empty. ;)

wise a**, my gauge is on E most of the time, and my boat still runs...

Reference: "Sounds like your ECM relay is hanging up."

At the risk of showing my ignorance could you please expand on:

1. What is an ECM relay ?

2. Where is it normally located ?

3. Is there an easy way to check it, or should I just replace it ?

Thxs Much...

There are three relays mounted by the ECM. Mine are hidden by the ECM cover. One of the relays is your start relay, one is your fuel pump relay, and the other is your ECM relay. The ECM relay will have a purple wire going to it (along with others). This purple wire comes from the key switch and has 12 volts positive going thru it when the key is in the 'on' position. It turns on the relay which then sends a run signal to the ECM, give the fuel pump power to run, and sends positive 12 volt power to the fuel injectors. The ECM controls the injectors by pulsing the negative wire, but that has nothing to do with your problem. You can pull the ECM relay out of its socket while the engine is idleing after you turn the key 'off' to see if the engine dies. If it does then either the relay is hanging, or that purple wire is staying hot.

edit; you can buy that relay at any auto parts store.

Edited by electricjohn