Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Soft Cooler

MalibuTime

OK, this may sound funny, but we received a Malibu cooler "suitcase" that fits into the under the seat cooler, haven't used it yet. Other than the obvious benefit of being able to "pre load" your stuff and carry it down to your boat what are the other benefits? Does it hold water, or leak all over? Does it help prevent broken bottles? I am more one to load up the cooler and dump ice all over it and not deal with a soggy soft-cooler after everything melts. Thoughts? I guess I should just give it a whirl and see how I like it.

Give it a try. It seems to hold the ice well, doesn't really leak too bad. The nice part is just being able to yank it out of the boat vs transfering contents of built in cooler to another cooler.

We really like ours and use it all the time.

That cooler & a spare tire were the only two extras I asked the dealer for when we bought the Vride. It is the best. It holds water good & keeps ice... ice for just about a whole day.

I love it.

The only better cooler in any boat I've ever seen was the Igloo with the matching upholstery top in the old Supras. And this one is better because it's lighter & more manageable when it's full.

In a cooler that's big enough, I actually like to load sandwiches, fruit and any other snacks that I want to stay cool but dry in the soft bag, with separate and ice over everything.

Does all that they claim it will (above) yet mine leaks like a mutha now, after 1 full season of use. Cry.gif

To be fair, most bag coolers I have ever used have done the exact same thing over time. Still a nice little item!

Thanks all, will give it a try then, two votes for it.

I loaded mine up with 2 bags of ice and a bunch of drinks last summer, it kept the drinks COLD for 3 days in the sun outside of the underseat cooler. I thought it did it's job.

Great item!!! I use it every outing and when we pull the boat out it goes in the car. I put a towel underneath in case it leaks. I also put things that need to be kept dry in a gallon ziplock( sandwiches, fruit, etc)

Pro's; can preload, it does fit bottles (tight), When inside the compartment it keeps things cold all day, Nice looking with logo.

Con's; leaks all over the place.

We use ours all the time. The preload is awesome and I find I don't use ice much anymore. I just pack in a few of those frozen cooler plastic things. Keeps things good and cold and I don't have to deal with water all the time. Love that thing plus, I can still store ropes and stuff under it or on top of it without things getting soaked. I'm tempted to rip the cooler liner out of my under the seat spot since I dont' need it/use it. It's not really worth the trouble though to get the tiny bit of extra space.

I use my soft removable cooler for food.. i fill it with perishables and load a little bit of ice in it.. keeps the deli meats, veggies and cheese, etc cool.. and outta the way of the drinks!!

I use my soft removable cooler for food.. i fill it with perishables and load a little bit of ice in it.. keeps the deli meats, veggies and cheese, etc cool.. and outta the way of the drinks!!

Plus1.gif That is excatly what we use it for. It works great!

$11 soft cooler from Bel Air. Can fit 30+ beers, water & ice. Leaks like a SOB. But hey... its a boat. It's gonna get wet. Sits right behind the drivers seat. Food goes in a small lunchbox, with ice pack in the compartment....no soggy sandwiches

I put mine away so the next owner can enjoy having a sweet cooler bag with the Malibu logo on it. I use one soft cooler for drinks and one for sandwich stuff. Just the ice from the ice maker in my fridge keeps things cool all day. With my 2004 LSV it took two large bags of ice to get through a day. I never thought about soft coolers until I saw the one in my new Bu.

I really like my cooler bag. I'm usually out on the boat for the whole day so having a dedicated under seat storage w/o having to carry a large hard cooler is a huge plus. I also think it's a necessity to carry another soft cooler with the frozen freezer thingies for sandwiches and other food.

Well I have got to say this works better than everything except for my Coleman Extreme cooler, except that is way too big to put into the boat. I loaded up the Malibu soft side with vitarain, pop and Coronas Thursday at about noon. Then drove 4 hours in the sun. None of the drinks had been refridgerated, temps pushed mid-nineties on Friday all day out in the sun, and still had some ice Sat. morning. Still very cold. Works for me.

• 2 years later...

My Logo Cooler that came with the boat didn't make it through one season before it ripped. It also always leaked like crazy. on warm days. So now I am in the market for a new one. So reviving this thread, sounds like the suggestions are to go with one of these brands:

American Outdoors

Polar

Malibu Cooler (not really wanting to give this one another try since I didn't have great luck with the first one)

So the question I have is 1) does anyone else have any suggestions on cooler brands and 2) suggestions on specific sizes to get?

I have a 2010 LSV with the 24x14x10 cooler space behind the drivers seat. I also am thinking of getting a cooler to store in the bow walkway. Is that a good idea or do others have a better suggestion for a second cooler?

Edited by jeremyk

I have the American Outdoors carbon fiber backpack cooler. It's expensive but holds 24 cans plus ice easily & it's tough as nails. Ice lasts for 3+ days easily.

backpac.l.jpg

And I have the Malibu soft cooler. Yea, it leaks, so I don't put ice in it. I freeze over 1/2 of our bottled water & use it as the ice in this cooler. Works great & we just finished 3 years with it. The frozen bottled water lasts like 2 days in this cooler & under the seats.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky