Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2008 Throttle Issue-Not good news

So the problem is with the "shift-by-wire" not the "throttle-by-wire," right? My '08 Vride has throttle-by-wire, not shift-by-wire.

It's in the throttle mechansim and yours is one of them affected or potentially anyway.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VinRLX

• Matt_Alger

• MalibuTime

• liljohn

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We received a certified letter today explaining the issue. We called Malibu and were told that the throttle company is making 250 throttles per day and they are shipping out as soon as made. Our dealers should get them this week and be contacting us to set up the replacement. We can either take the boat to the dealer or have someone come to the boat. At least they are working fast to fix this!!

I think its funny . . .The guy with the slalom boat is the one being anal about it. Yahoo.gif

Good to know you have a sense of humor. Notworthy.gif

Guys, we are talking 2% of boats . . . "seriously injured" . . . it will not keep me from going out between now and the fix. . . If something where to happen, especially when picking up a skier or rider . . .

So you are aware of the problem?

And realize there is no way to predict if your boat is in the 2%?

Have you considered the liability you invite if you choose to operate the boat and injure someone?

Stupid.gif

Plus1.gif

Yup, I've considered the liability and decided that I'll take my chances. The couple of boats that this has happened to did not get stuck at full throttle, its at idle. There is plenty of time to turn the boat off and get out of harms way. Have you considered this - there is probably more than a 2% chance that some sort of mechanical failure/ freak accident could happen 100% of the time you take your boat out anyway. I'm going to to lake. Later.

bh, not sure where you get your guesstimate on the 2% freak accident. I suppose it's possible to get hit by lightning when you go outside, but why play golf in a thunderstorm?

My point is this:

Anyone who knowingly chooses to operate an affected boat is personally responsible for any damage or injury that occurs *if* there is a mishap. Not Malibu, ZF Hurth, nor the insurance company will stand behind it. Whether it's a simple scratch on the boat or a passenger's arm gets pinched between the boat and dock--the operator is liable.

I wish I could drive my boat--I'm on vacation as of yesterday and use the boat DAILY. Sincerely, I'm not trying to attack you personally or ruin your fun. However, making a statement on a public forum such as the one below is completely irresponsible.

I wouldn't let this ruin any opportunity you have to get your new 08 out on the water. I've heard everything from some lady got "seriously injured", to "a few people have ran into docks" to "nothing has happened so far, but watch out".

why let a boat sit. if it sticks, it will be at idle in forward or reverse. turn key off. 2 percent. H*ll more then 2 percent of malibu drive plates explode ,that can do more harm and they have not recalled all of them. if one sticks it is an easy fix. take back off control apply wd40 to the little micro switch then work it up and down with a give away screw driver.

So the problem is with the "shift-by-wire" not the "throttle-by-wire," right? My '08 Vride has throttle-by-wire, not shift-by-wire.

The Ride series is explicitly excluded as noted on the recall letter I received today from Malibu, as is the Response and Response LX.

Edited by TheBlackPearl

Since many are willing to accept the risk then the rest of us would appreciate you volunteering to be last in line for the replacement parts. If the comment about them making 250/day is accurate then it will take roughly 15 days to make all of the replacements. I for one don't want to wait 2 - 3 weeks for the replacement throttle.

Edited by Matt_Alger
I figured all of you 08 owners could use a little chear up so I thought I would post this up.. hope your smileing and remembering it could be worse..

back story- guy brings boat to launch to test run after working on it. leaves it all strapped up runs the motor and shifts it into reverse the boat floats the trailor and draggs the rover into the lake while still running. 2 tow trucks later it was out .

Hey, that ramp looks familiar! Haven't seen any sunken LR though.

I received a certified letter today informing me of the recall. After calling the number listed in the letter, I was informed that a replacement part specifically for my boat was being sent overnight to my dealer and that I needed to contact said dealer to schedule the replacement. Not the best timing considering I have had a family trip to central Texas with the LSV planned for a few months now. I'm not sure what I will do if my dealer (they were closed today) can't get the part replaced in time. I suppose until then, I'll hope for the best. Boat has 23 hours and this will be the 3rd visit to dealer.

The Ride series is explicitly excluded as noted on the recall leter I received today from Malibu, as is the Response and Response LX.

This is correct - the issue is with the shift-by-wire, not the throttle by wire, so the iRide, vRide, Response and RLX are not affected. These boats have the morse control with throttle-by wire only, and standard cable shift.

Peter

The Ride series is explicitly excluded as noted on the recall leter I received today from Malibu, as is the Response and Response LX.

This is correct - the issue is with the shift-by-wire, not the throttle by wire, so the iRide, vRide, Response and RLX are not affected. These boats have the morse control with throttle-by wire only, and standard cable shift.

Peter

Cars are getting throttle by wire, brake by wire, electronic swaybars, shock absorb by wire. Eventually it will be steer by wire... no steering column, just like a force feedback video game. Thats how military tanks and planes function these days.

However, being around boats for the last 30 years the thought of not having a shift cable just plain frightens me.

My 06 V-Ride shifts just fine and those thick shift cables last at least 10 years anyway. Do we next remove the Steering wheel to rudder cable?

This really sounds like a feature for installers not end-users!

Cars are getting throttle by wire, brake by wire, electronic swaybars, shock absorb by wire. Eventually it will be steer by wire... no steering column, just like a force feedback video game. Thats how military tanks and planes function these days.

However, being around boats for the last 30 years the thought of not having a shift cable just plain frightens me.

My 06 V-Ride shifts just fine and those thick shift cables last at least 10 years anyway. Do we next remove the Steering wheel to rudder cable?

This really sounds like a feature for installers not end-users!

Funny you mention it. I had a Flightcraft outboard that we tested a Morse fly-by-wire steering system that I had hoped would end the long-term Mercury steering problems. I think it must have been around 97. Unfortunately while it worked fine for recreational, it was nearly impossible to steer the boat in a perfectly straight line the length of a course. The best we could do was a very very slight arc, and that was by simply getting it close and then not touching the wheel. It was a great system, just didn't have the computer calibrations to back up the hardware in my opinion. Tough to wake slalom in an arc though.

I did however....drive it back to the dock with an allen key in the steering linkage one day after footing till it stopped turning....

Peter :)

I received a certified letter today informing me of the recall. After calling the number listed in the letter, I was informed that a replacement part specifically for my boat was being sent overnight to my dealer and that I needed to contact said dealer to schedule the replacement. Not the best timing considering I have had a family trip to central Texas with the LSV planned for a few months now. I'm not sure what I will do if my dealer (they were closed today) can't get the part replaced in time. I suppose until then, I'll hope for the best. Boat has 23 hours and this will be the 3rd visit to dealer.

Has anyone else been informed that their replacement part is available or had it fixed?

I have not received the certified letter yet. Is it different from the previously attached Shifter.pdf file explaining the problem?

Edited by Matt_Alger

Has anyone else been informed that their replacement part is available or had it fixed?

I have not received the certified letter yet. Is it different from the previously attached Shifter.pdf file explaining the problem?

The letter i received is the same one in the previously attached Shifter.pdf file

Just got off the phone with my dealer and they told me that they have NOT received the replacement parts as of right now....They said that they are waiting to see what UPS brings today between the hours of 11am-3pm.... I will keep you guys posted.... Hang in there...

The letter i received is the same one in the previously attached Shifter.pdf file

Same with me. I took time off from work to stand in line at the post office to sign for a certified letter that is the exact same press release. It's obvious they sent a certified letter requiring a signature purely for the lawyers so they have a record that you received it. That was a waste of my time.

I got my boat back today from the dealer... Ready to go to the lake in the morning... YEA BUDDY!!!! I came across one problem though.... The black lil button that you press in on the throttle to warm up the boat it STUCK.... Got any ideas? I am gona take it back to the dealer while on the way to the lake...

What is up with this?? I got the letter saying not to use the boat. It gave no indication that a fix had even been settled on. It did say that Malibu would be dispatching a team of technicians to resolve the problem. Since then, I haven't heard anything. What's up? I would expect a far more proactive approach by Malibu. They have two days before July 4th. I hope I'll hear something today. Malibu, if you monitor this thread, my phone # is 408 309-6062.

Edited by Deltawake
What is up with this?? I got the letter saying not to use the boat. It gave no indication that a fix had even been settled on. It did say that Malibu would be dispatching a team of technicians to resolve the problem. Since then, I haven't heard anything. What's up? I would expect a far more proactive approach by Malibu. They have two days before July 4th. I hope I'll hear something today. Malibu, if you monitor this thread, my phone # is 408 309-6062.
I have a brand new 2008 VTX and I haven't gotten a letter, fax or phone call. Should I be worried??

You guys should work through your dealers on this.

You should recieve either a call or certified letter from Malibu Boats. If you've not been contact by now, then I would assume the information on file from your warranty registration card from your is incorrect. Contact your dealer right away.

My dealer got 3 shifters in yesterday and fixed my boat. They kept me informed along the way and I also got the certified copy of the PDF and an overnight mail copy of the PDF.

Anyone who has only been contacted by Malibu, contact your dealer immdeiately if they haven't already called you. I didn't call my dealer because last week Malibu told me they were going to fix it themselves and not be working through the dealers so there was no need to call my dealer. I called Malibu back today because I saw some people were being taken care of by their dealers. Malibu told me that there was a change in plans and I now had to contact my dealer. Lets hope this works...

Frustrated.gif

Spoke to my dealer and they are going to try to get it fixed on Thursday.

Insert praying Emoticons symbol here!

Edited by Matt_Alger