Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2008 Throttle Issue-Not good news

Hey guys, my dealer just called me....I was gona take my boat out for the 2nd time tomorow (Friday)... I guess i'll have to wait... SUCKS!!! I have a camping trip to Pedro start Wed. to Sunday...

Oh well, it happens I guess...

Kevin

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VinRLX

• Matt_Alger

• MalibuTime

• liljohn

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have an 08 VLX with 14 hours on it - I've had it 2 weeks today. No problems out of it except the normal calibration issues with the power wedge. Guys, we are talking 2% of boats that this is effecting. I wouldn't let this ruin any opportunity you have to get your new 08 out on the water. I've heard everything from some lady got "seriously injured", to "a few people have ran into docks" to "nothing has happened so far, but watch out". I don't know what to believe, but I know it will not keep me from going out between now and the fix. Just make sure to keep in mind that the ignition key is right there. If something where to happen, especially when picking up a skier or rider, just cut the boat off.

Spoke to my dealer. He said Malibu will be handling this directly, not going through the dealers.

He also said they will send a tech to you, instead of having to take the boat somewhere. This is a huge deal for me as the dealer is 3hrs away...

It's an intelligent, proactive stance from Malibu. This company never fails to impress me.

I'm so glad I traded in my Four Winns... Clap.gif

I am a 08 VLX owner and have been having some issues with my graphics and swim platform matt. I called today to find out if these items had been fixed to then be told about the "recall". I was told bascially the same info as pretty much everyone else on here. I was also told that they are going to do everything they can to get boats fixed and back to owners by the 4th. Keep your fingers crossed and pray, have a house rented for the weekend that is to late to cancel on so would suck bad to not have a boat Cry.gif

I figured all of you 08 owners could use a little chear up so I thought I would post this up.. hope your smileing and remembering it could be worse..

back story- guy brings boat to launch to test run after working on it. leaves it all strapped up runs the motor and shifts it into reverse the boat floats the trailor and draggs the rover into the lake while still running. 2 tow trucks later it was out .

post-3478-1214582823_thumb.jpg

I don't think they have figured out what the failure is - just that it's happened to a few boats. Our dealer says it's an easy replacement but I'm sure they wouldn't send us the part. Too bad!

A footnote, the Malibu rep that called me didn't say don't drive my boat. He probably didn't have the guts.

Guys, we are talking 2% of boats . . . "seriously injured" . . . it will not keep me from going out between now and the fix. . . If something where to happen, especially when picking up a skier or rider . . .

So you are aware of the problem?

And realize there is no way to predict if your boat is in the 2%?

Have you considered the liability you invite if you choose to operate the boat and injure someone?

Stupid.gif

Guys, we are talking 2% of boats . . . "seriously injured" . . . it will not keep me from going out between now and the fix. . . If something where to happen, especially when picking up a skier or rider . . .

Have you considered the liability you invite if you choose to operate the boat and injure someone?

Stupid.gif

Plus1.gif

Still no known fix/ replacement as of this morning, I spoke with Malibu and ZF and trust me everybody is on this to get it resolved ASAP.

We pulled all of our controls out of our in stock 08' boats so they have core throttles to rebuild for our customers once the fix is determined.

Hang in there 08' Malibu owners!!!

I figured all of you 08 owners could use a little chear up so I thought I would post this up.. hope your smileing and remembering it could be worse..

back story- guy brings boat to launch to test run after working on it. leaves it all strapped up runs the motor and shifts it into reverse the boat floats the trailor and draggs the rover into the lake while still running. 2 tow trucks later it was out .

This was amazing to watch happen... Poor guy... insert the song "you had a bad day" with picture

I think this may have happened to us. We had 7 hrs on the boat. It happened just after we unloaded the boat off the trailer; we used reverse first and then shifted to forward to go to the dock but there was suddenly no forward. Thankfully we were very close to the dock and drifted even closer--close enough to throw a rope and have someone pull us to shore. Then 4 of us got in the water and walked/floated the boat over to the trailer and onto it. We took the shifter apart and found a lose wire. After shoving the wire back in, the boat worked fine. Our dealer put in a new shifter the next day and we haven't had any further problems. We still have to do the recall because the shifter was off an 08 vtx he had in stock.

Stupid.gif

Plus1.gif

Yup, I've considered the liability and decided that I'll take my chances. The couple of boats that this has happened to did not get stuck at full throttle, its at idle. There is plenty of time to turn the boat off and get out of harms way. Have you considered this - there is probably more than a 2% chance that some sort of mechanical failure/ freak accident could happen 100% of the time you take your boat out anyway. I'm going to to lake. Later.

Still no known fix/ replacement as of this morning, I spoke with Malibu and ZF and trust me everybody is on this to get it resolved ASAP.

We pulled all of our controls out of our in stock 08' boats so they have core throttles to rebuild for our customers once the fix is determined.

Hang in there 08' Malibu owners!!!

Same here (and everywhere else I would imagine).

UPS is getting a workout, we are seeing what Brown can do for us.

:)

I was glad to hear that they will send techs to the customers. I am 3.5 hrs from my dealer. I am concerned that I may end up last on the list since there are very very few 08 Malibus in my area (acually none that I am aware of). I already cancelled plans for this Saturday and Sunday and hope I don't have to do the same over the 4th.

How about a collection to buy coffee for the Malibu and ZF engineers!

What are the promo guys and anyone with a Response LXi who is scheduled to pull a tournament doing with their boats?

Edited by Matt_Alger

Stupid.gif

Plus1.gif

Yup, I've considered the liability and decided that I'll take my chances. The couple of boats that this has happened to did not get stuck at full throttle, its at idle. There is plenty of time to turn the boat off and get out of harms way. Have you considered this - there is probably more than a 2% chance that some sort of mechanical failure/ freak accident could happen 100% of the time you take your boat out anyway. I'm going to to lake. Later.

I'm with bhwakeboarder. I think that they are being paranoid to avoid any sort of litigation. I'm heading out this weekend and will tell the wife to keep the kill cord handy just in case.

Stupid.gif

Plus1.gif

bh, not sure where you get your guesstimate on the 2% freak accident. I suppose it's possible to get hit by lightning when you go outside, but why play golf in a thunderstorm?

My point is this:

Anyone who knowingly chooses to operate an affected boat is personally responsible for any damage or injury that occurs *if* there is a mishap. Not Malibu, ZF Hurth, nor the insurance company will stand behind it. Whether it's a simple scratch on the boat or a passenger's arm gets pinched between the boat and dock--the operator is liable.

I wish I could drive my boat--I'm on vacation as of yesterday and use the boat DAILY. Sincerely, I'm not trying to attack you personally or ruin your fun. However, making a statement on a public forum such as the one below is completely irresponsible.

I wouldn't let this ruin any opportunity you have to get your new 08 out on the water. I've heard everything from some lady got "seriously injured", to "a few people have ran into docks" to "nothing has happened so far, but watch out".
I don't think they have figured out what the failure is - just that it's happened to a few boats. Our dealer says it's an easy replacement but I'm sure they wouldn't send us the part. Too bad!

A footnote, the Malibu rep that called me didn't say don't drive my boat. He probably didn't have the guts.

You couldn't be further from the truth !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It should be 1-1.5hrs pf labor and 48hrs in the shop, max.

So around $250 max.

Wonderful...

I just got my 08 23LSV back from a crooked dealership that tried to charge me 4 hrs of labour for the 20hr inspection...Now I'll have to drive the darn thing 3.5hrs to another (hopefully honest) dealer...

Not good news...

I have to at least drive it to my launch to get it out of the water to take it in.

Not if the technician comes to you.

How much should they have charged?

O.K. this past weekend was painful with the boat in the garage all weekend.... I don't know if I can make it another week w/o my boat. Cry.gif

Does anyone have an update on the status of the repair?

my 08 23LSV still has a turning prop when I put it into neutral...it's barely turning.....same issue you're talking about?

no not the same

O.K. this past weekend was painful with the boat in the garage all weekend.... I don't know if I can make it another week w/o my boat. Cry.gif

Does anyone have an update on the status of the repair? the only thing sticking is the little cheap micro switches in the shifter control. not the rpm of the engine. if it sticks in forward or reverse just tuen the key off.

I put 4 hours on my boat this weekend with no problems. I'm now at 22.6 hours in a little over 2 weeks and its going in for the 20hr service this week.

I think its funny that the guys with the VLX's and wake boats are fairly laid back about this issue. Obviously they realize that you can stop the boat with a flick of the switch or turn of a key. The guy with the slalom boat is the one being anal about it. Yahoo.gif All I know is I pay quite a bit to use my boat each month and this isn't holding me back from getting on the water to ride. I'm getting every penny's worth.

All of the news I heard last week was planning for a fix for all boats by July 4th. I contacted Malibu today and found no resolution in sight. The Fourth is getting closer.

Has anyone else heard any remedies for this problem?