Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2008 Throttle Issue-Not good news

Malibu started calling owners with 2008 drive by wire throttle controls today to issue a "recall" I say that in quotes because it is so fresh (I was called about 6:45PM ) they do not have an official recall # yet. There apparently have been some boats where the throttle does not go back to neutral, when you think it is. EG still in gear even with throttle straight up. They asked us to stay off the water until it is resolved, and they will be flying technicians out to dealers if need be to help replace the affected components when they have them. Anyhow I am sure as they know more there will be more definitive communications. There is a lot more information I am interested in, and I am sure they are probably digging. Such as any sort of pattern - boats with so many hours,conditions (humid south, dry west? super hot?) assemblers, factory, manufacturing run etc. The supplier is working 24x7 to resolve the problem from their end. So how bad is it don't know. When I called back to ask a few questions I found out it was the company picnic today, I can only wonder if this is one of those things where they were comparing notes over beers and realized there is a serious problem and started a calling campaign.

I say not good news, but on the up side no one has been injured from this.

Obviously this is a major safety issue, hence the immediate calling campaign, and it sounded like the urgency with which it is resolved is a top priority.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VinRLX

• Matt_Alger

• MalibuTime

• radioman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah this is unfortunate especially with the small streak of good weather we have coming up this weekend in Seattle. Oh well, I'm glad they told us about it as soon as possible - I can't imagine how bad things could get if the throttle was stuck in gear...

Is it only 2008 models? I just got a call on my caller id but they didn't leave a message. I've got an 06.

He said it was the drive by wire controls, for sure on '08, not sure of any other year, since ours an '08 he was very specific to confirm we had an 08 VTX. As for the severity, it sounded like simply still in gear, not slowing turning.

Now, with this information, you have to weigh the hundreds or thousands of hours of the users of this forum have on 08s and no one has posted up having this problem to date (IIRC).

The rep I spoke to said that it is only the '08s with throttle by wire. The Response boats do not have throttle by wire so they are not effected. It sounded like some boats may be OK - but they aren't sure yet. He says that it will throttle down to idle, but won't come out of idle, and said only "2%" of boats are effected. I don't know how true that is. Not a big deal over all, but the timing is horrible. We're having some outstanding weather in the South Sound, and we're coming up on the 4th of July. He said we should have some answers by Friday.

Is it only 2008 models? I just got a call on my caller id but they didn't leave a message. I've got an 06.

He said it was the drive by wire controls, for sure on '08, not sure of any other year, since ours an '08 he was very specific to confirm we had an 08 VTX. As for the severity, it sounded like simply still in gear, not slowing turning.

Now, with this information, you have to weigh the hundreds or thousands of hours of the users of this forum have on 08s and no one has posted up having this problem to date (IIRC).

This is consistent with what I was told. The Malibu rep said they believed it was related to the new throttle in my '08 VLX but didn't have any details yet about how, when and why it happens yet. All he said was that there were issues where the throttle is stuck in gear - forward and/or reverse.

I got a message from my dealer on my answering machine telling me about this. I am dying for more info. Called the factory this morning and talked to someone in customer service. She said that they plan to have all boats fixed by July 4th weekend. My dealer doesn't open for 2 more hours!!! I asked about what incidents had occured and she said that some people had run into docks due to the throttle being stuck in either forward or reverse.

OK, I'm glad some one posted this. the recall will be for all 2008 boats with throttle by wire. the issue is that it is sticking in forward gear and there has been a case where when shifted in reverse the boat still moved forward. we can all under stand how dangerous that can be. Malibu is expected to make an official release today. I know the dealers have been told to call all there customers and inform them of the problem. basically Malibu doesn't want anyone getting hurt. (props to them for taking responsibility) keep in mind that Malibu's protocol is 2% for a recall.

which means that out of all the boats manufactured in 08 2% have had problems. I personally think its great that Malibu dosen't wait for some official release to inform people and actual took responsibility and started personally calling all there customers.

Keep in mind the shifter mechanism isn't built by Malibu, very few instances have been reported thus far. Malibu however is taking a proactive approach and we'll get the official press release to the Crew when it's available today. All available resources from the top down are on the issue; Malibu will get the issue resolved and backup their products as usual.

Bummer timing with the seattle weather we're getting finally!

Kudos for Malibu to contacting everybody ASAP, trying to keep everybody safe is a good priority.

Plus1.gif I think its awsome that malibu is handeling the way they are.

Bummer timing with the seattle weather we're getting finally!

Kudos for Malibu to contacting everybody ASAP, trying to keep everybody safe is a good priority.

All 2008 Malibu's are affected (excluding Ride's, Response and Response LX) The cause of the problem is the shifter will get stuck in forward gear (in neutral and even reverse, so if you go to slow down you will actually speed up going forward) This has only happened on a few boats but because of the safety concern, Malibu is issuing a recall to avoid any sort of injury.

All 2008 owners with shift by wire throttle will be notified from Malibu and their dealer when the "fix" is figured out. Believe me this is PRIORITY #1 for Malibu boats and ZF Marine (the manufacture of the throttle control) and they have everybody working on this around the clock to come up with and build a resolution for customers.

Please hang in there and have some patience with your dealer & Malibu. We're getting flooded with phone calls but we don't know anything yet. 08' owners will be the first to know the fix from Malibu.

Here is the service bulletin we just got this morning from Malibu

Bulletin ID: SB062608-9

Date: 6/26/2008

Bulletin No: 9

Affected Models: All 2008 Models Except Ride Series, Response and Response LX

Subject: ZF Ski Command potential loss of shifting capabilities

Condition:

ZF Marine has discovered the ZF throttle and shifter control has the potential to fail creating a loss of shifting capabilities in the

forward or reverse direction in all 2008 model boats excluding the Ride series, Response and Response LX.

Action Required:

While the failure rate has been determined to be less than 2 percent, Malibu Boats must insist that any boat using the 2008 shift by

wire system should not be used until the unit has been repaired or replaced by a certified Malibu technician. ZF Marine and Malibu

Boats will be utilizing their entire team of technicians for this component recall and we anticipate a resolution by 4th of July

weekend.

Edited by Bakes Board & Ski

I offer this in the spirit of helpful info......not complaining. My 2008 LSV will sometimes rev slightly when the shifter is in neutral. If you wiggle the shifter it will back down to idle. This has happened 3 or 4 times in 30 hours. I have not experienced the "stuck in gear" problem that is discussed above.

I read in my owner's manual that you can override the shifter's commands to the transmission by manually operating a switch on the trans. Check your owner's manual. That may come in handy if your trans gets "stuck in gear". Of course, the thing to do is not use the boat until this gets sorted out. My old boat has not sold yet, so I'm covered.

Innovation is sometimes risky business. If it was easy, others would do it too. :o)

I offer this in the spirit of helpful info......not complaining. My 2008 LSV will sometimes rev slightly when the shifter is in neutral. If you wiggle the shifter it will back down to idle. This has happened 3 or 4 times in 30 hours. I have not experienced the "stuck in gear" problem that is discussed above.

I read in my owner's manual that you can override the shifter's commands to the transmission by manually operating a switch on the trans. Check your owner's manual. That may come in handy if your trans gets "stuck in gear". Of course, the thing to do is not use the boat until this gets sorted out. My old boat has not sold yet, so I'm covered.

Innovation is sometimes risky business. If it was easy, others would do it too. :o)

I've got 12.5 hours on my boat and have not had any issues. I wonder if it would have manifested itself some how by now? Maybe my boat is in the 98+% of boats that is fine??

I have to at least drive it to my launch to get it out of the water to take it in.

I have to at least drive it to my launch to get it out of the water to take it in.

Not if the technician comes to you.

I wonder if I can talk them into it since there are 2 boats on my street that are affected.

I wonder if I can talk them into it since there are 2 boats on my street that are affected.

I bet you can.. Whistling.gif

I am a 08 VLX owner and have been having some issues with my graphics and swim platform matt. I called today to find out if these items had been fixed to then be told about the "recall". I was told bascially the same info as pretty much everyone else on here. I was also told that they are going to do everything they can to get boats fixed and back to owners by the 4th. Keep your fingers crossed and pray, have a house rented for the weekend that is to late to cancel on so would suck bad to not have a boat Cry.gif

Wonderful...

I just got my 08 23LSV back from a crooked dealership that tried to charge me 4 hrs of labour for the 20hr inspection...Now I'll have to drive the darn thing 3.5hrs to another (hopefully honest) dealer...

Not good news...

Wonderful...

I just got my 08 23LSV back from a crooked dealership that tried to charge me 4 hrs of labour for the 20hr inspection...Now I'll have to drive the darn thing 3.5hrs to another (hopefully honest) dealer...

Not good news...

Call Malibu customer service in Merced, calmly explain your problem and crappy dealer, and maybe you can get them to send a factory tech to come out to your home and make the change when they have them ready.

Edit - from the press release...

We anticipate a resolution to be in place in the next few days. ZF Marine and Malibu Boats will

commit to rectifying all affected models at the location of our owners request.

Well, that locks it up. I hope they can figure out a way to get my boat to Lake Powell, because that is where I want it fixed!!!

Edited by TheBlackPearl

Darn technology... I'll take my shift-by-cable thank you. :(

You guys with '08s, if you use them before the fix, use the tether. Keep it attached to you so you can quickly grab it and give it a yank if the problem arises, especially if out riding and going to circle around or pick up a fallen rider/skier. I'd hate to hear of a boat being damaged, or worse, a person being struck because of a problem with the boat not going to neutral.

Wonderful...

Not good news...

How much should they have charged?