Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gauges not working

Hi all

This is my first time posting but I have been reading the forum for a couple of months now and have come across all kinds of useful information. I was hoping you could help me out with a problem I have.

I recently purchased a 2000 Wakesetter Escape and have a problem. The first time I took it out everything worked fine. The second time out the gauges did not come on for the first five minutes or so and then started to work and worked fine the rest of the day. The last time I was out the gauges never came on. Everything else was fine. The engine ran strong the stereo, bilge, blower, MLS, etc all worked fine too. Just no gauges. I was wondering if anyone else had experience with this problem or could point me in the correct direction. I would think a loose wire with the way it worked the first time and then was off and on the second time, but I have no clue where to start. I came from a 1991 Sunsetter where everything was a little simpler. Any help would be great.

Welcome!

First thing is to dive under the dash and see what might be loose. Something on the ignition, a ground wire, or any harness plus that are under there. The solution could be very simple. If it's not obvious from your first trip under the dash, a little more exploration with a multimeter may be in store. Somebody with a newer boat than me will have to help you there.

I have looked under the dash and did not notice any loose wires etc. Thanks

Anyone have a wire diagram or know where I could find one.

Thanks

I have a similar problem. my tach hasn't worked for some time now but it never bothered me since I used the perfectpass anyway...I just got the boat back from a little fiberglass work (nothin major) and the day I took it out the pp was all foggy but it worked...today (2nd time out since I got it back...a day later) pp doesn't wrk...shows speed but none of he buttons work...also my analog speedo is out...so now I have no speedo, no tach and can only see the mph on the pp to pull a rider...any suggestions? I've checkd under the dash and everything seems to beconnected...thanks in advance

I have nothing to add but advice after seeing similar electrical gremlins be described on TMC forums here. Seems like the main CANON plug under the dash can become slightly shaken or dislodged and result in much frustrations. You might disconnect the main CANON plug and spray with some electrical contact cleaner and re-plug firmly.

Hope this helps,

Been there done that...first is to check the fuses. There are several in-line fuses in my sunsetter so make sure you look for them. After checking fuses and potential loose wires the last is the mmdc which is located under the dash. I went through this two summers ago myself. Good luck with the trouble shooting.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I tried the cannon plug with no results. It is my understanding that the canon plug in on the back of the engine (v-drive toward the front of the boat) not under the dash, but I could be wrong. It is about an inch wide, black and connected with a hose / worm type clamp. If it is under the dash I need some help finding it too. The next time I am at the boat I will check for more fuses.

Currently no gauges are working but I can turn on the dash lights and the gauges are back lit, all other systems seem to be good. Strange.

Thanks for the help.

Ok so I got tired of being at work today so I came home to mess with the boat. I'm about to call pp and ask them about that, but while I'm sitting in the boat does anybody know where this canon plug is? thanks in advance

thanks vin tried messin with the canon plug but its not bringin anything back. where does the canon plug go? like is the other end under the dash or something? out here ridin right now for about another hour (til dark) so maye I can try something else...kinda sucks right now, pops taught me to drive our old nautique by hand so I got that covered but everybody in my crew sucks at it, so I'm screwed when its my time to ride haha!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I found a trouble shooting guide for the Medallion II (MMDC) Sorry I don't remember where but I am sure it was a link in a different post. I went through the tests and it looks like the MMDC is out, so off to get a new one. Has anyone else followed the trouble shooting guide and thought it was the MMDC only to purchase a new one and that not be the problem? Thanks for the help. When I get the new one I will let you know if it worked.

• 4 weeks later...

Well the MMDC came in, and I was able to put it in, everything works great now. If you are looking around for a MMDC call around to different dealers I found one on the east coast that was well over a hundred $ less then the ones on the west coast. Good luck to anyone with this problem. It feels good to go out and see info fire up on the gauges. I still think I will upgrade to the PPSG over the winter. Thanks for all the help.

Sorry, I just got to your post. I could have saved you some time. I had the same problem and it was the MMDC on my boat as well. I wish I had checked around like you. I just ordered from my local dealer and paid whatever he charged. I know the feeling of having your gauges fire up after going through the frustrating process of replacing gauges and checking wiring. Just an FYI, that I purchased my boat as a sunk boat (with only 25 hours on it) So I knew what I was getting into. So my MMDC was water related. Hope that is not the same issue with your purchase. But I got my 06 Wakesetter 2 years ago for $20,000 and added only $9,000 in computers, wiring harness, starter, alternator, battery and some gel coat work. We now have 250 glorious hours on the boat and I feel like I got away with robbery. I had the CFT Blade Tower, but got Malibu to warranty it to the tower you see here with the speakers etc...because of the cracking issues with the Blade tower.

Anyway, just watch your electrical to see if there may have been water in there. The Old MMDC taken apart would tell you immediately.

• 8 months later...
Well the MMDC came in, and I was able to put it in, everything works great now. If you are looking around for a MMDC call around to different dealers I found one on the east coast that was well over a hundred $ less then the ones on the west coast. Good luck to anyone with this problem. It feels good to go out and see info fire up on the gauges. I still think I will upgrade to the PPSG over the winter. Thanks for all the help.

Hello, just doing some research for the exact problem you had last year. My boat is a 2001 Wakesetter that I bought 2yrs. ago. Ran great last year, no problems. Took it out yeasterday, first run of the year,in the water, started, everything working, exept my gauges. First thing I did, check all fuses, resets, wiring, etc., found nothing. Pulled it out of the water and went home frustrated to say the least. After getting home, turned the key fo the hell of it, gauges worked, go figure. Here is the kicker, today disconnected the battery to tighten down a ground wire that was a little loose, connected the battery back, turned on key, no gauges again! Yesterday, before I took the boat out, I had also just connected the battery. Coincidence, I don't know. Just wondering where you bought your MMDC and how much $? I even called a contact at Malibu for a 'service manual' or 'wiring schematic' but no luck.

Disconnect the emergency kill engine cord (the red one under the throttle) and re-attach it. I think moisture gets between the connection and messes with the gauges. My boat won't even start if the LCD and guages are out. I went to the lake yesterday (first day out since last season) and I had the same problem, I couldn't start my boat and the guages were out. I wash crapped out. Turns out a guy on the doc right next to me had a Malibu and had the same problem that morning. He told to pull the engine kill cord / reattach and then my boat ran great with the gauges! I was lucky. Hope this helps. -J

• 11 years later...
1 hour ago, 2004 said:

What is the MMDC?  Where can I find it?

Black box under the dash with wires going in and out says “medallion” on it.