Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

It's time for the '09's

Malibudude

The long awaited LXi classic replacement is here!!! I like that FXi concept! I think they'll sell a ton of those.

Why? The greatness of the slxi is that it was almost a 22' boat with a great wake, and was the longer alternative to the response. The fxi is now shorter than the r, rlx, and rlxi. How is that a slxi replacement and who do you see buying that wouldn't just get the rlxi?

From the pictures it looks like the new RFXi has more freeboard than a response, so that may appeal to the family with smaller children or those on rougher lakes.

If that was intended to be a replacement for the SSLXi 'classic', I would be interested. But I, too, would wonder what would be lost in a boat that is 20" shorter. It looks like the 8" 'overhang' from the rear of the SSLXi is gone, so maybe a trunk smaller by 8" (not good) which leaves another 12" gone from the interior.

If they really wanted to try to appeal to the SSLXi buyer, that 8" overhang on the rear would have been a great step towards that end.

It's a good looking boat, however, and if my dealer gets one in stock I'll go take a look at it.

While I find it interesting to see the banter about it's place in life, I don't understand the confusion about it's size or what's its derived from.

The Response FXi is a Sunscape 20 LSV, with a direct drive motor and a iride/rlxi trunk. That's what it is. A Sunscape 20 LSV hull. Really.

Wider and shorter than the RLXi, it still won't fit in the older boat houses and I'm not sure we need room beside the engine box, but it should be a very sporty sunscape!

Peter :)

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WakeGirl

• Malibudude

• JohnDoe

• SmoothWaterMan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like the look of the dash, as for the current VLX becoming the V-Ride, its all about progression. If they don't keep pushing the envelope they will get behind the 8 ball and not be on the cutting edge. I am sure Malibu will not just take the exact 08 VLX and make it the V -ride. I can see them coming back with the old switches like I have in my 06, and not having the presets for the MLS and speed, plus they will probably put the original version of the illusion tower on it. I would hope that they do offer the front ballast on the 09 v-ride because that hull loves front weight. If the new hull is going towards the 247 hull that would be awesome, because that boats wake is killer. In any regards I love my 06 VLX, with that said if I had purchased the 08 VLX and if it got changed to the V-Ride in 09 so be it, I designed and had my boat built to my specs and I have tweaked it here and there, now it's my own and don't plan on selling it anytime in the future.

My only concern with the dash is the big computer screen that will have the sun beating on it constantly. Can't wait to see the new beast. Thumbup.gif

I am sure Malibu will not just take the exact 08 VLX and make it the V -ride. I can see them coming back with the old switches like I have in my 06, and not having the presets for the MLS and speed, plus they will probably put the original version of the illusion tower on it.

It looks from the pictures like the Vrides are coming with fewer amenities. The bow area looks different on the 23 Vride than this year's 23. The seatbacks are one piece of foam instead of two separate bolsters. The 23 has the "older" style dash rather than that funky retro dash this year's 23 has.

Either way, I love to see Malibu expanding their economy lineup. It seems like they've really been listening again this year.

We wanted expanded economy lineup and got it.

We wanted a roomier DD and got it.

We wanted the return of the 3 piece sunpad and got it.

Nice. :)

Now, about that HDS... Whistling.gif

Edited by UWSkier
However, I'd be a little concerned about the electronics holding up over 10 or 15 years of hard wave hits, wet hands and errant splashes??? From my experience with cars, when the electronic dash or NAV goes on the fritz, you're gonna have to dig beep into your wallet.

Hmmm, you can't even get factory seat skins for boats past 7 years, right? The new fancy electronic throttle is working out well right now.... It will be interesting to see how the boats with the early electronics hold their resale value in a few years.

I am sure Malibu will not just take the exact 08 VLX and make it the V -ride. I can see them coming back with the old switches like I have in my 06, and not having the presets for the MLS and speed, plus they will probably put the original version of the illusion tower on it.

It looks from the pictures like the Vrides are coming with fewer amenities. The bow area looks different on the 23 Vride than this year's 23. The seatbacks are one piece of foam instead of two separate bolsters. The 23 has the "older" style dash rather than that funky retro dash this year's 23 has.

Either way, I love to see Malibu expanding their economy lineup. It seems like they've really been listening again this year.

Nice. :)

Now, about that HDS... Whistling.gif

Well already had it in the SLXI (both versions), with the ’99-’04 model years dam near perfect. Just if it were updated to the cut diamond hull and new top deck at 93.5” beam I’m convinced that it’d be a better seller than the ’05-’06 SLXI and the new 20’ DD. The SLXI provided the room and storage for everyone with near world-class slalom wakes and intermediate wakes not that I’m biased, it’s still arguably the top crossover boat. The VTX on the cut diamond hull while isn’t as good as the SLXI for slalom the wakes are better for boarding and surfing.

I actually prefer the two-piece hatch but I know many complained about it.

It's entirely possible that this would be the last year for the Response & if that's true, they'd have to have a 20' boat (there are too many lakes out there with that restriction). This gives them a great crossover boat at the 20' length, & my guess is that it will feel as roomy as an SLXI classic while outperforming it. Just guessing on all of that, but if it's true then this boat makes a ton of sense.

It's entirely possible that this would be the last year for the Response & if that's true, they'd have to have a 20' boat (there are too many lakes out there with that restriction). This gives them a great crossover boat at the 20' length, & my guess is that it will feel as roomy as an SLXI classic while outperforming it. Just guessing on all of that, but if it's true then this boat makes a ton of sense.

I was told last winter that this is the last year of the Response. A couple delaers spoke right up and said it wasn't so. I'd say this new RFxi seals the old boat's fate.

I was told last winter that this is the last year of the Response. A couple delaers spoke right up and said it wasn't so. I'd say this new RFxi seals the old boat's fate.

That's my suspicion, we'll see if it happens.

Excellent point. Many 20' limit lake in these parts.

I'm really surprised at all the R and Rlx doomsdayers. I mean they've made the boat for 10 years in its current iteration, and if they only sell a few a year, well, it's probably to people who wouldn't be satisfied with another boat in the line anyway, they would instead go to MC or CC. I drive and ski behind a CB Response more than any other boat and for what its used for, a rlxi or rfxi for that matter, would not fit the bill. I hope they keep the CB.

I'm really surprised at all the R and Rlx doomsdayers. I mean they've made the boat for 10 years in its current iteration, and if they only sell a few a year, well, it's probably to people who wouldn't be satisfied with another boat in the line anyway, they would instead go to MC or CC. I drive and ski behind a CB Response more than any other boat and for what its used for, a rlxi or rfxi for that matter, would not fit the bill. I hope they keep the CB.

I know what you're saying, but they haven't made any improvements to that boat in years. I bet the Response is done and the Sportster isn't coming back.

Plus1.gif

If not, maybe we can do some dumpster diving and pull out the molds to keep it going!

I know what you're saying, but they haven't made any improvements to that boat in years. I bet the Response is done and the Sportster isn't coming back.

And the clincher is that I can't see them keeping 2 20' direct drive boats in the lineup.

Guest J-Ro

Nice.

And the hideous 08 23 LSV dash seems to be gone

it'd be interesting to see a pie chart with percentages of sales for malibu models for the past couple years.....

how many responses (open and closed bow) do they sell a year?

is it less than 10% of total sales/year?

it'd be interesting to see a pie chart with percentages of sales for malibu models for the past couple years.....

My guess would be that rlxis, rlx, and r make up less than 10% of sales. I would bet less than 20 r or rlxs are sold in US, don't know demand around world.

And I'd bet that the RLXI makes up a significant portion of that 10%. It makes sense that they'd try to build a more family/ergonomic 20' boat, & if they can do it while maintaining the performance then there's very little lost there. Possible exceptions being the width of the boat & maybe the footing wake (that one remains to be seen IMO).

My guess would be that rlxis, rlx, and r make up less than 10% of sales. I would bet less than 20 r or rlxs are sold in US, don't know demand around world.

In this economy and with current gas prices I'll bet sales of smaller Malibus will be up and sales of large Malibus crash down. It’s already happening in houses and cars.

People need shelter and transportation. They don't need boats. Although I do see the BIG boats (247 I'm looking at you) sales going down.

Plus1.gif I would further argue that if people are buying smaller cars and houses, they won't be buying a boat at all, whether it be big or small. The industry is in for some short term rough times me thinks.

am i the only one who thinks the RFXi compares in many ways to a tige 20i?

deep freeboard (rougher water)

wakeboard tower options

ballast options

similar length/width ~20'

similar weight ~ 3,300

tournament approved -RFXi will be, correct?

similar power (320 hp)?

looks like malibu is spearheading the smaller slalom/crossover boat market?

will the RFXi msrp be about 48K or so?

wakeboard tower options

ballast options

similar weight ~ 3,300

similar power (320 hp)?

I'm guessing it has less to do with Tige and more to do with the void they have to fill by getting rid of the iRide. Pricing will be interesting since it's not part of the "Ride" series of value boats.

wakeboard tower options

ballast options

similar weight ~ 3,300

similar power (320 hp)?

Most people wouldn't argue that Malibu has been the best option for a good crossover boat since the inception of the SV23 hull in 1993. I've seen a lot of die hard loyalists from other brands even admit to that. That Malibu has continued this in the form of the VTX/Sunscape 20' cut diamond hull boats & now a direct drive version isn't surprising at all.

Stay with me on this one....MSRP on an '08 RLXi without trailer is +/- $44k. It sounds like the price increase from '08-'09 won't be as large as we've seen in the past, so maybe figure $45-46k on the RLXi. If you extrapolate from differences in price between the VTX & VLX ($55k & $58 respectively), then my guess on the RFXi would be that it will be in the $42k range without a trailer.

People need shelter and transportation. They don't need boats. Although I do see the BIG boats (247 I'm looking at you) sales going down.

Plus1.gif I would further argue that if people are buying smaller cars and houses, they won't be buying a boat at all, whether it be big or small. The industry is in for some short term rough times me thinks.

Yes shelter and transportation is on most peoples mind at this point, but here is my thinking. If I am working 40 + hours a week to afford my house and my veichle and pay my taxes and then steering at the walls when I am not working because I don't have anything fun to do, like boating, then why bother going to work. I work to play, no play then no work, I will collect welfare and live on the streets, seems to work for a lot of people.

The long awaited LXi classic replacement is here!!! I like that FXi concept! I think they'll sell a ton of those.

Why? The greatness of the slxi is that it was almost a 22' boat with a great wake, and was the longer alternative to the response. The fxi is now shorter than the r, rlx, and rlxi. How is that a slxi replacement and who do you see buying that wouldn't just get the rlxi?

From the pictures it looks like the new RFXi has more freeboard than a response, so that may appeal to the family with smaller children or those on rougher lakes.

If that was intended to be a replacement for the SSLXi 'classic', I would be interested. But I, too, would wonder what would be lost in a boat that is 20" shorter. It looks like the 8" 'overhang' from the rear of the SSLXi is gone, so maybe a trunk smaller by 8" (not good) which leaves another 12" gone from the interior.

If they really wanted to try to appeal to the SSLXi buyer, that 8" overhang on the rear would have been a great step towards that end.

It's a good looking boat, however, and if my dealer gets one in stock I'll go take a look at it.

While I find it interesting to see the banter about it's place in life, I don't understand the confusion about it's size or what's its derived from.

The Response FXi is a Sunscape 20 LSV, with a direct drive motor and a iride/rlxi trunk. That's what it is. A Sunscape 20 LSV hull. Really.

Wider and shorter than the RLXi, it still won't fit in the older boat houses and I'm not sure we need room beside the engine box, but it should be a very sporty sunscape!

Peter :)

I don't know that anyone is confused, I think they're just speculating that the 20-21' DD market is small already, why dilute more? If people want a sunscape, they'd buy a sunscape, if people want a high performance DD, they'd buy a Rlxi...of course, I have nothing to base that on, you'd know better, but do you think it will add marketshare, or just steal rlxi sales?