Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

It's time for the '09's

Malibudude

The 09' line up looks awesome! I bet that FXI will be a great addition to the line up, sort of replacing the Sunsetter LXI.

I'd really like to hear Malibu's target customer with this new fxi if the rlxi is stil in the lineup. And I am bummed to hear that there will be no more irides. The SV23 wake hull defined Malibu and has been in use for 10+ years. It did everything well. One of the best barefoot boats, slaloms very well, and could easily be beefed up for wakeboarding. All in a simple, yet user-friendly interior with the perfect freeboard height in my opinion. The original sunsetter is dead Cry.gif .

People who want cup holders for the observers??? LONG LIVE THE SV23!!! We're gonna miss you!!

Edited by CTSunsetter
  • Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WakeGirl

• Malibudude

• JohnDoe

• Matt_Alger

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 99-04 SLXi was 21'8", the newer 05 was 21'6....

I think the FXi would be perfect for a Titan DL6, although it will be interesting to see the customer it fits best.

For full ballast the VTX is the only way to go. It handles so close to a direct drive there's not much reason not too.

Peter

I think they have a stable of old hulls that could be used to launch a low price brand. It could also be used to offset any slowing in the luxury model price point in regards to factory usage and cash flow.

Boats that could be used are-

Sportster

Response LX

Pre 2004 Sunsetter LXi

Pre 2005 Sunsetter VLX

Pre 2004 Sunsetter LSV

That would make quite a model lineup that could be done for under 35k base for the most expensive one.

We can only hope! Clap.gif

The 09' line up looks awesome! I bet that FXI will be a great addition to the line up, sort of replacing the Sunsetter LXI.

I'd really like to hear Malibu's target customer with this new fxi if the rlxi is stil in the lineup. And I am bummed to hear that there will be no more irides. The SV23 wake hull defined Malibu and has been in use for 10+ years. It did everything well. One of the best barefoot boats, slaloms very well, and could easily be beefed up for wakeboarding. All in a simple, yet user-friendly interior with the perfect freeboard height in my opinion. The original sunsetter is dead Cry.gif .

If what J-Ro was saying about an econo-brand in the making comes to fruition, then maybe it's not dead. FWIW, I feel the same way. My first experience with Malibu came behind the original SV23 Sunsetter & then of course I owned one....fantastic boat all the way through.

As a first time Bu owner, I would like some of the long time Bu owners/ Bu employees and Bu Dealers on this site to answer a couple questions for me. How will these changes affect the resale value of an 08 VLX? Am I hosed since I just bought an 08 VLX? Do you think the 09 Vride will be identical to the 08 VLX, or will the VLX still have some distinguishing features? Thanks

As a first time Bu owner, I would like some of the long time Bu owners/ Bu employees and Bu Dealers on this site to answer a couple questions for me. How will these changes affect the resale value of an 08 VLX? Am I hosed since I just bought an 08 VLX? Do you think the 09 Vride will be identical to the 08 VLX, or will the VLX still have some distinguishing features? Thanks

Looking at the pictures, the '09 Vride doesn't get the LCD switch panel (in my opinion that's a good thing). I also bet it doesn't have rider presests, shift-by-wire, or ballast monitoring. I'm guessing the rest of the standard VLX bling will be option upgrades just like the current Vride (e.g., SS bow rail, SS rubrail, SS cups).

Not being a long time 'Bu owner, I am still going to throw in my .02. Whistling.gif A lot of people are generally clueless enough that vride vs. VLX will be the extend of their understanding and v-ride is a lower cost (notice I didn't say low cost, cause it just aint true!) Malibu, VLX is the flagship wakeboard boat, so there will always be a premium value over the V-rides for a Wakesetter IMHO. In the end though, the best way to preserve your value is to keep your boat well maintainted and in top shape. That will always = top dollar when you go to sell.

In the 3rd pic with the tower down, did any one notice the bracket/rod that holds the tower up? I have seen people ask for them, can one pick it up at the dealer?

I've pondered fabricating a support that maybe plugs into the table leg hole and angles up to support the tower, or perhaps just drops vertically straight to the floor, maybe a bit more elegant and secure than a 2x4. I am just not sold on the foam pad thingy, plus, you cannot open the glove box without lifting the tower a 1/2 inch or so. So if that support is available, it would be worth getting, save me some trouble!

I like the FXI except it has the wrong tower on it. The problem with the illusion tower it gets in the way of the rope when using the pylon. I know I will hear that you should go to an RLXI but I think this would be an issue for anyone skiing. Just MHO!

On the RLXI you have to be into 32 off before it becomes an issue. That's a pretty good skier that probably wouldn't buy a ski boat with a tower anyway.

That's where I start to ski... I would love to have a tower on my boat, the only towers that fit my boat and doesn't interfere with the rope are the Swoop mini and the XTP mini. Both are very $$$. The feeling I get from the shortline skiers is that towers aren't bad and are great at holding biminis up...

I was hoping for a 15% price increase since I just bought an 08!

Don't you mean stole? ;-)

Who? What? Me? Good deal? Biggrin.gif If I ever have to sell it Cry.gif then I paid list +10%... Yea, list +10%. Whistling.gif

hdchapman, I know you asked for dealer or factory people to answer but I would also have the same concern on the 08VLX vs 09vRide. Also, having an 07 23LSV vs 09 23vRide but at least that is another year removed. Fortunately, I agree that many people aren't going to know they are on the same hull. However, unless there is a significant price increase on the vRide then it is going to impact the resale of your 08VLX. They are going to have to make sure it is stripped down and some options aren't even available. If an 09 vRide is cheaper than an 08VLX then I would buy the 09 vRide if it had basically the same options. The vRide is a darn nice boat and now with the current world class VLX hull... wow!!!

Yes, the FXi has the wrong tower on it...Titan III all the way! Personally, I also like the Titan III on the VTX. It doesn't block the side entry to the boat and you can use a tower boom. The v-drive booms are often in the boat spray.

Peter is spot on with how well the VTX handles. It may be a touch slower than the Response getting out of the hole but its tracking and handling are unbelievable for a V-Drive. I was a die hard direct drive fan due to the performance but after owning the VTX, I'm not sure who will buy the FXi? I am sure it handles even closer to the Response LXi but if you want that type of performance buy the Response LXi or Classic Response. The VTX with Cut Diamond Hull is everything I hoped it would be!

After reading the many posts about the older Bu models (I still love my '96 Response), maybe we should all buy Malibu's old molds and start a "Bu2" line of boats..

These typically smaller and lighter hulls are better on fuel economy and you could tow them with a smaller vehicle... Looking at current economic times we may have a winning combination... the boats still have great performance and are better on gas for the boat and the tow vehicle.

Not being a long time 'Bu owner, I am still going to throw in my .02. Whistling.gif A lot of people are generally clueless enough that vride vs. VLX will be the extend of their understanding and v-ride is a lower cost (notice I didn't say low cost, cause it just aint true!) Malibu, VLX is the flagship wakeboard boat, so there will always be a premium value over the V-rides for a Wakesetter IMHO. In the end though, the best way to preserve your value is to keep your boat well maintainted and in top shape. That will always = top dollar when you go to sell.

Well said. The only thing that I'd add would be that IMO if you buy your boat right in the first place, this is a non-issue for you.

I like the FXI except it has the wrong tower on it. The problem with the illusion tower it gets in the way of the rope when using the pylon. I know I will hear that you should go to an RLXI but I think this would be an issue for anyone skiing. Just MHO!

On the RLXI you have to be into 32 off before it becomes an issue. That's a pretty good skier that probably wouldn't buy a ski boat with a tower anyway.

That's where I start to ski... I would love to have a tower on my boat, the only towers that fit my boat and doesn't interfere with the rope are the Swoop mini and the XTP mini. Both are very $$$. The feeling I get from the shortline skiers is that towers aren't bad and are great at holding biminis up...

True, but any tower wouldn't be standard on that boat. It would be an upcharge, & the Illusion isn't exactly cheap either. Towers are expensive. The one thing that I would say about this is that I'd like to see more OEM options to address the pylon/short length issue.

I agree if your 32’ off you’ll probably not have a tower on the boat, but even at my level I’d hit the tower feet on the initial pull out. I know Malibu requires the RLXI to have a tower on it for the promos, which really perplexes me.

Thank God the 3 piece sunpad is back.

Geeez, all of a sudden my wallet seems to be burning a hole in my pocket.

Oh, wait, never mind, just the 1000 or so wild fires burning out here in CA.

I actually prefer the 2-door hatch as the gear is on either side but the gloves flag etc are in the warming tray, One door I can get everything. Look is more refined and clean imho.

SLXI is 21'8"

RFLXI is 20'

Apples to oranges. That's almost 2 feet shorter. The RLXI would be a closer boat to comapare a SLXi to.

Thought the SLXI is 21'8", the RFXI might feel bigger because of the beam. All the VTX's I've been in have felt huge vs. my SLX even though I have a foot on them:

RLXI beam = 93.5"

SLXI beam = 93"

Response FXi = 98"

I wish they were offering rear, center and front ballast on the RFXi!!!

The ’99-’04 SLXI beam is 93.5”, while the beams are all different so are the weights which imho affect the wake as much or more.

The V-ride has typically been an economically priced model just with fewer standard options. If you loaded it up you’ll be at the price of the VLX anyway and therefore just get that. Really, you can’t look at resale on boats to replace the enjoyment factor and the hanging out with friends and family. My SLXI is no longer made, while it has a defacto replacement it’s still one of a kind period. Now that’s a bit different since it’s been discontinued for several years now, but unless someone is specifically looking for it, I’ll have a hard time selling it. I’m not worried about it just things change and it’ll come out alright in the end. The ’09 VLX is based on a new hull, while the ’09 Vride rides on the current ’08 model hull. The ’05-’08 VLX hull is proven and to date arguably the best hull made for wakeboarding. There may be features that buyers like about the ‘08’s and not the ‘09’s coupled with the fact prices will go up.

21 vRide: Modeled after the '08 VLX. Same deck and hull.

23 vRide Modeled after the '07 23 LSV. Same deck and hull.

Wow, I imagine owners of these two boats will not be happy with the de-valuation of their boats. Given where the Ride series prices out, I think it would be hard for people to justify an older boat vs. a new boat for similar coin.

Granted, I've sure the Wakesetter series boats will have some features/amenities the Ride series won't have.

The V-Ride is not an economy boat. If you load one up like a VLX it is pretty close in price and the difference is basically the options that aren't available on the V-Ride. As we saw with the '04 VLX vs '05 V-Ride, there isn't a big resale hit. Personally I would pay more for an '04 VLX than an '05 V-Ride. For car guys, check out the BMW 335 vs the 135, same deal.

Why? J-Ro is dead on in his assessment. The perception of the V-Ride being an entry level wakeboard boat is merely that - perception. The fact that you may be able to buy it more stripped down brings the price down somewhat, but as he said if you're comparing apples to apples it's right there. And....a VLX is still a VLX, no matter what year it was built. The production (again, as he said) of the V-Ride really didn't have an effect on pre-'05 VLX values, so I'm really not sure why everyone is so concerned over this.

If people are truly looking at entry level stuff, they're not looking hard at Malibu. They're looking at Moomba. (And that's no knock on Moomba at all, they just fill a different niche on the price scale.)

I agree if your 32' off you'll probably not have a tower on the boat, but even at my level I'd hit the tower feet on the initial pull out. I know Malibu requires the RLXI to have a tower on it for the promos, which really perplexes me.

I don't know of any such requirement for promo's and in fact most of the promo Bu's I drive and ride behind in the last several years don't have towers. I think it has more to do with the promo owner and resale in their area than anything to do with Bu as a company.

I agree if your 32' off you'll probably not have a tower on the boat, but even at my level I'd hit the tower feet on the initial pull out. I know Malibu requires the RLXI to have a tower on it for the promos, which really perplexes me.

I don't know of any such requirement for promo's and in fact most of the promo Bu's I drive and ride behind in the last several years don't have towers. I think it has more to do with the promo owner and resale in their area than anything to do with Bu as a company.

That info came from the dealer, unless that was just a requirement of that particular dealer.

If you have an 07 LSV or 08 VLX I wouldn't worry too much about resale because of the new Ride Series. The economy/gas prices/used boat market in general are going to effect your resale more than anything. I have seen more pics of the new Ride Series, and IMO, the new graphics/gel pattern option are ugly. The boat also won't have anywhere near the fit and finish that it's predecessors had and I've heard bow ballast may not even be an option. The price increase on the 09's should also help, the new VLX is gonna have a base MSRP around 62k.

If the closed bow Response and Response LX are still available, why not put the CB on the Malibu website and both of them in the brochure?

Speaking of brochure, who will be the first one to find the link to the 2009 brochure in .pdf?