Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

windshield shattered

I had the strangest thing happen to my windshield over the weekend. After putting my 1998 Sunsetter VLX away in the garage on Sunday night when I went out to get the paper on Monday moring the port side window was shattered and glass was all over the garage floor very little was in the boat. The garage door was closed and there was no evidence of fowl play. Temperature that day was 113 and the garage was probably hotter. Has anyone ever had a windshield shatter due to temperature change?

I called Taylor Made Systems and they quoted me $660 plus freight ($40) for what I understand to be the entire port side assembley (frame and both windows), the said they can't sell me just the port side windsheild. My dealer quoted 2-3 hrs labor to install.

Taylor Made Systems also gave me the part number and a source for just the glass, however my local dealer said they weren't familiar with installing the glass only and I would have to find another source.

Has anyone ever had the replacement glass installed in their existing frame?

Who did you use?

Who did you use?

Yes.gif Did it myself. It's pretty straight forward. Pull the trim piece out of the windshield frame, remove all of the screws (both wood screws and machine screws) that hold the frame in place, remove gasket from frame, clean out remaining broken glass pieces, put the old gasket on the new glass, put old frame pieces onto gasket/new glass, re-assemble. Thumbup.gif

How's that for a run-on sentence. Crazy.gif

I've replaced glass windshield pieces twice on a couple of I/Os.

I had the center section in a SeaRay bowrider shatter after it bounced in a grocery store parking lot going over a speed bump.

In a moment of stupidity, I threw a wakeboard handle thru the port side glass of a friend's Larson I/O.

Both pieces were flat, came apart & reassembled just like NorCalibu describes. It really wasn't tough, just had to be careful & go slow.

No clue where to get the glass though. Dealer? Local glass shop? SkiDim? Will Taylor Made cross reference the glass part number with a compatible piece from another make?

Good luck.

I had the strangest thing happen to my windshield over the weekend. After putting my 1998 Sunsetter VLX away in the garage on Sunday night when I went out to get the paper on Monday moring the port side window was shattered and glass was all over the garage floor very little was in the boat. The garage door was closed and there was no evidence of fowl play. Temperature that day was 113 and the garage was probably hotter. Has anyone ever had a windshield shatter due to temperature change? I called Taylor Made Systems and they quoted me $660 plus freight ($40) for what I understand to be the entire port side assembley (frame and both windows), the said they can't sell me just the port side windsheild. My dealer quoted 2-3 hrs labor to install.

Taylor Made Systems also gave me the part number and a source for just the glass, however my local dealer said they weren't familiar with installing the glass only and I would have to find another source.

Who did you use?

My parents 1976?? Volvo wagon basically had the rear window from the hatch do the same thing in our garage when I was a kid. Exploded all over the garage for no apparent reason, other than it was a bit stressed. Frustrated.gif

My dealer quoted 2-3 hrs labor to install.

Who did you use?

I just did mine myself with the help of a friend. It takes about 5 minutes to remove the old frame, about 10-15 minutes to fit the new glass in the frame and about 5 mins to refit the frame to the hull.

My dealer (Tilley's Marine, Ventura) quoted about 4 hours labor just to remove and refit a new frame (not including any glass replacement) but after doing it myself realised they are completely looking to take advantage of unsuspecting customers.

Edited by Arkid
My dealer (Tilley's Marine, Ventura) quoted about 4 hours labor just to remove and refit a new frame (not including any glass replacement) but after doing it myself realised they are completely looking to take advantage of unsuspecting customers.

I hope you never need any help from them. And as I recall, wasn't that for removal of your entire windshield and installation of a complete new windshield? Not trying to call you out, just trying to be fair to Tilley's. I have heard nothing but great things about Tilley's so they can't be a total trip-off.

Dontknow.gif

[/hi-jack]

To the OP - give yourself a couple of hours to do the job and go slow and careful. I had to replace one of the curved pieces and getting everything realigned was the hardest part. Though I did it by myself, a helper would have been grand. :Doh:

I hope you never need any help from them. And as I recall, wasn't that for removal of your entire windshield and installation of a complete new windshield? Not trying to call you out, just trying to be fair to Tilley's. I have heard nothing but great things about Tilley's so they can't be a total trip-off.

Dontknow.gif

[/hi-jack]

To the OP - give yourself a couple of hours to do the job and go slow and careful. I had to replace one of the curved pieces and getting everything realigned was the hardest part. Though I did it by myself, a helper would have been grand. :Doh:

Hey, call me out if you want. I'm just telling it like it is.

It was a 10 minute job for the actual removal and install of one side (6 screws and the help of my wife holding the windsheild. Infact I reinstalled it by myself without the wife, it was that easy). If you want to double that to include the other side, that's a whopping 20 minutes. A new windsheild comes to them completely assembled in a box, all they have to do is open it. You tell me if 4 hours labor at $120/hr is fair?

As far as hearing "nothing but great things about Tilley's" i'm with you there aswell. They are very nice people to talk to and easy to get along with. Hey, I don't mind paying for services at a fair price, they just did my 300hr service for $700 which some would say is excessive but after this one windsheild thing it leaves a bitter taste. That's all.

And to the OP. I found that getting all the glass in the bottom frame first and then fitting the top frame at the back corner with the set screw in place made it easier to seat the top frame properly as the set screw kept the glass/frame/gasket in place whilst tapping the top frame down with a rubber mallet. Without the set screw in everything moved around and was hard to get lined up properly.

Good luck!

Edited by Arkid

300 hour service for $700??? Vomit.gif Mine didn't even cost half that I'm thinking

It maybe time to take your bu somewhere else. I'm glad I love my dealer and they like me! :)

300 hour service for $700??? Vomit.gif Mine didn't even cost half that I'm thinking

It maybe time to take your bu somewhere else. I'm glad I love my dealer and they like me! :)

I agree.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you guys get the replcement glass from Taylor Made or from your Malibu dealers? The Port side glass in our 2002 Sunsetter shattered while towing her down the road this weekend in Phoenix. It was 110 degrees the day it happened to me as well and I did not see any signs of a rock or object hitting it.

The dealer is closed until Tuesday so I havent been able to get a quote from them or even ask them if the stock the glass. Will I be able to buy the glass from them and do it myslef? Thanks

Who did you use?

Yes.gif Did it myself. It's pretty straight forward. Pull the trim piece out of the windshield frame, remove all of the screws (both wood screws and machine screws) that hold the frame in place, remove gasket from frame, clean out remaining broken glass pieces, put the old gasket on the new glass, put old frame pieces onto gasket/new glass, re-assemble. Thumbup.gif

How's that for a run-on sentence. Crazy.gif

Did you guys get the replcement glass from Taylor Made or from your Malibu dealers?

From the local Malibu dealer. They had to order it.

• 7 years later...

Same thing as OP just happened to my 1998 Sportster (parked in unit and next time we came down totally shatter starboard side windshield)- no evidence of foul play or anything but I have a really hard time believing it was just the heat that did it (has been topping out in low 90s in southern KY here lately).  Anyone ever heard of this happening?  We store at a paid storage unit and I am hesitant to let the place off the hook... especially for the 2k it appears it could cost me. 

I am playing absolute HELL trying to find anything/ or anyone who wants to help in replacing it (its Taylor Made Clear Curve glass). 

ANY HELP OR COMMENTS GREATLY APPRECIATED!  THANKS.

I shattered one on my 98 sslx two years ago and played heck too until I got in touch with taylormade.  

I don't know where to look for threads started by me but there is one documenting what I had to do.  If the sticker is missing from your windshield it's gonna be even tougher.  Calling Malibu is a waste of time go straight to tm.

Edited by rabiddawg