Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What do you think

Marmonick

I have the illusion tower with 4 titan speakers...the black cans with the chrome ends. I am thinking of cutting into the caps and putting headlights in the front of them. Has anyone ever seen this or have any ideas to make sure it is done right and looks classy when I am finished. I was going to probably put thin rectangular LED style lights in the front and recess them in. how bright of a light would i need to make sure that they were bright enough to be effective?

any help is appreciated! Cheers.gif

There's no way you'll get enough light out of LEDs for them to be functional. Lighting on the water takes a lot more output than on land, and LED technology is just starting to get to the point where OEMs can use it for headlights on their cars.

The other issue you'll need to do deal with is having the power wire for the lights run that close to the speaker wire. You'll definitely get some noise in your speakers when both are on.

But, it would look great, so let us know what you come up with!

I have the illusion tower with 4 titan speakers...the black cans with the chrome ends. I am thinking of cutting into the caps and putting headlights in the front of them. Has anyone ever seen this or have any ideas to make sure it is done right and looks classy when I am finished. I was going to probably put thin rectangular LED style lights in the front and recess them in. how bright of a light would i need to make sure that they were bright enough to be effective?

any help is appreciated! Cheers.gif

I think it would look ghetto, make your speakers sound like crap, and you would not get any light output from this setup. My $.02.

Doesn't MC have a speaker/light setup similar to this? Might be worthwhile to find out who makes them for MC. And look at the design itself. It would definitely double the number of wires going to the top of the tower. I've never heard how they sound.

As for the LED light output, the lights I installed under the swimstep are friggin bright. But I'm not sure how much they would light up if they were installed on the tower. Might be worth looking into. The fact that their a surface mount might give you some alternative ideas for how to do your project. The fact that their low voltage might help the noise situation. And LEDs are low heat which might be nice up there too.

Another light to check out is the one mounted in the front of the side mirrors of the stock Toyota FJ Landcruiser from the last year or two. That thing is bright as hell & not very big. Might require a lot of depth to be mounted or draw a lot of power though.

Also, having lights above or behind the windshield causes some glare that can be tough to see thru at night. So do a lot of testing before you start cutting.

There's no way you'll get enough light out of LEDs for them to be functional. Lighting on the water takes a lot more output than on land, and LED technology is just starting to get to the point where OEMs can use it for headlights on their cars.

The other issue you'll need to do deal with is having the power wire for the lights run that close to the speaker wire. You'll definitely get some noise in your speakers when both are on.

But, it would look great, so let us know what you come up with!

I don't think there would be any problem with noise induction since the speaker wires are high power / low impedence. It isn't anything like running power wires next to high impedence preamp level cables (RCA cables).

"I think it would look ghetto, make your speakers sound like crap, and you would not get any light output from this setup. My $.02. "

This is what my girlfriend said. But let me make it clear that I would not just hack a light into the speakers unless it looked like it 'fit'. I would never have my bu looking 'ghetto'. Oh BTW, my lady said the same thing when I wanted to cut into side of the drivers wall and passenger wall to mount my subs and then ended up admitting that she liked them! Biggrin.gif

Mastercraft does have a tower speaker with integrated lights and I like the way they look. I think I will be able to accomplish the same type of thing as long as I find the right lights.

thanks for the advice on the LEDS maybe I will just look for a traditional fog lamp style light. Any ideas on this would be huge. this will make or break this idea from being ghetto or great!

I will keep you guys posted.

Edited by Marmonick