Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which one 1st

I'm about to change the fuel filters and not being terribly mechanical in any way thought I should consult the best Bu resource in the world 1st.

Does it matter if I do the in line or spin on 1st?

Should I open up the pump and make sure there is nothing clogging, if so where from, top or bottom?

Is there anything in particular I need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance. :werule:

Edited by Pondking

Try to relieve the fuel pressure first. I assume you have a fuel injected boat.

It doesn't matter which one you do first. FWIW, I removed my in-line filter and put a brass hose connector there. I don't see why anyone needs 2 fuel filters.

edit, Oh yeah, remove that eye patch before doing any of this. You'll need both eyes open. But, you can keep the hat on.

Edited by Pistol Pete
Try to relieve the fuel pressure first. I assume you have a fuel injected boat.

It doesn't matter which one you do first. FWIW, I removed my in-line filter and put a brass hose connector there. I don't see why anyone needs 2 fuel filters.

edit, Oh yeah, remove that eye patch before doing any of this. You'll need both eyes open. But, you can keep the hat on.

Thanks Pete,

Yes 320 monsoon with FI.

Well I'm almost done except I forgot to note which was in and out end for fuel flow of the spin on filter so I'm afraid to install upside down. Is the flex hose connection from the top of the pump in or out?

Could someone look pretty please.

Also there was suppoed to be a screen on one of the fuel pump connections but I could not see it anywhere.

Other than those issues I would say replacing the fuel filters is a very easy DYI project.

...which was in and out end for fuel flow of the spin on filter so I'm afraid to install upside down...

:unsure: Huh? :unsure:

A spin-on is like an oil filter...you just spin it on. :Doh: I must admit, you got me confused on this one. (Shut-Up Jack) Did you disconnect the hoses from the upper base of the spin-on? Dontknow.gif

...which was in and out end for fuel flow of the spin on filter so I'm afraid to install upside down...

:unsure: Huh? :unsure:

A spin-on is like an oil filter...you just spin it on. :Doh: I must admit, you got me confused on this one. (Shut-Up Jack) Did you disconnect the hoses from the upper base of the spin-on? Dontknow.gif

Sorry for the confusion. This is a cannister looking filter with bolts on each end. There is a specific fuel flow direction with an in and out side. I forgot to note if top was in or out as I removed the old filter. :Doh:

First, follow the fuel lines to be sure. On my '00 Monsoon the flow is in the top and out the bottom. Trace the fuel line back from the top and I believe you will see it hook in to the fuel line going back to the tank.

First, follow the fuel lines to be sure. On my '00 Monsoon the flow is in the top and out the bottom. Trace the fuel line back from the top and I believe you will see it hook in to the fuel line going back to the tank.

Thanks Carve, mine is a 99 SLXI so likely same as yours.

The top is a flex hose that comes from the top of the fuel pump and the bottom connects to a stainless steel hose, leading to the injectors (i'm guessing). The only reason I'm so confused is that the bottom of the filter looks like a soup can lid ring and is tough to get through the band that holds the filter in place along side the engine. The top of the filter is rounded and would easily slide right into place.

btw, icbw, but i think your monsoon is 325 HP, not 320. every little pony helps Thumbup.gif

You sir, are correct.

Job Done.

Parts <$20

difficulty scale - 2 out of 10.

Time - it took about 3 hrs 'cause of above confusion, now that I know what to do, under 1 hr including cleanup.

Hooked up fake a lake to make sure...She sounds amazing again.

Satisfaction of completeing a DYI job - Priceless - cold one well earned.

Excellent end to a nice short-story. And don't worry about the three hours it took to change your filter--it takes Michael longer to brush his teeth. You know, with the different style caps on toothpaste these days. ROFL.gif

I must admit, you got me confused on this one. (Shut-Up Jack) Dontknow.gif