Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Too much ballast with wedge ?

btbaeder

Last weekend we had our vride (06 old style wedge) loaded with people (4 adults 3 kids). We had a great wake for surfing. When it came time to wakeboard we loaded the center ballast and rear sacs (400lbs each) and dropped the wedge. The funny thing was the wake seemed actually smaller than previous outings with just my wife and son. We even bumped the speed up a little with not much improvement. We normally just have my wife and my son in the boat when I board and the wake is pretty good sized. Before we had time to change some things I hit something in the water and messed up the prop which is getting repaired now. What I am wondering is if i had too much rear ballast in the boat with the wedge? Has anyone had similar issues? I am thinking more bow weight, less rear weight, or try not using the wedge?

Last weekend we had our vride (06 old style wedge) loaded with people (4 adults 3 kids). We had a great wake for surfing. When it came time to wakeboard we loaded the center ballast and rear sacs (400lbs each) and dropped the wedge. The funny thing was the wake seemed actually smaller than previous outings with just my wife and son. We even bumped the speed up a little with not much improvement. We normally just have my wife and my son in the boat when I board and the wake is pretty good sized. Before we had time to change some things I hit something in the water and messed up the prop which is getting repaired now. What I am wondering is if i had too much rear ballast in the boat with the wedge? Has anyone had similar issues? I am thinking more bow weight, less rear weight, or try not using the wedge?

You need more weight up front and it will be all good. Stick a couple/few people up in the bow next time and you'll see the difference.

You need more weight up front and it will be all good. Stick a couple/few people up in the bow next time and you'll see the difference.

I agree, the only thing that I'd ask is if you were in a shallow area or if there was anything else that was changed (speedo reset or anything like that). If you were running even as little as 1 mph faster, you'd notice it with the wake.

We were in pretty deep water. I did not notice and signficant differences in speed but when we get back out I will check.

Thanks to all for the info