Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Quality

Peacock

I have just finished putting my introductory 10 hours on my boat and am planning to take it to my dealer to change my fluids, etc. My question is: I have discovered quite a few little issues with my boat. Is this normal?

For example: Steering wheel isn't centered. It is pointing at 9:30 instead of 12.

Heater pops the circuit breaker after a couple of minutes when used on high.

One of the springed posts that secure the wedge is secured by 2 little brass thumb screws. One is obviously cross threaded and the post doesn't seat properly.

Are these quality faux pas normal? I'm sure they will be taken care of with my dealer, but I was wondering if anyone had any input.

Love the site

Ranting.gif

Pretty normal. All should be fixed by dealer when pointed out. (politely) The dealer diddn't screw up, Bu did. When I find stuff like that, I usually fix it myself. I love to tinker.

Enjoy!

Pretty normal for a labor intensive manufacturing process, I'd say. Your dealer's follow up will ultimately determine whether the imperfections are insignificant or affect your ability to enjoy the boat. Sounds like you're pretty confident that your dealer will make it right.

Yes, these minor issues are pretty common, no matter which mfg built the boat. As John noted, the boat building process is pretty labor intensive and its more like building a new home than buying a new car. Just make a running list of all the little "deficiencies" and they'll be taken care of.

I am confident that my dealer (Bakes Marine) will take care of my issues appropriately, they have in the past. I was just wondering if others have had similar experiences with their boats. All in all, I LOVE my boat, and I can't wait to get a pull.

They sound normal for any boat, but are the little things that dealers are supposed to look for before delivering the boat. They can't catch them all though and as long as they fix them it works out. Good luck with the new boat, I love mine also and got behind it wakesurfing for the first time yesterday. 45 degree water here in PA, but worth it to ride once again (ice came off friday)

Finely got out over the week end and have only found the same type of minor things wrong. Drain plug for cooler cross threaded, glove box doesn’t always latch etc. All easy fixes by the dealer if I don’t get to them first. Water was 48 and ice broke the 4th. Life is good again.

I have just finished putting my introductory 10 hours on my boat and am planning to take it to my dealer to change my fluids, etc.  My question is:  I have discovered quite a few little issues with my boat.  Is this normal? 

For example:  Steering wheel isn't centered.  It is pointing at 9:30 instead of 12.

One of the springed posts that secure the wedge is secured by 2 little brass thumb screws.  One is obviously cross threaded and the post doesn't seat properly.

Are these quality faux pas normal?  I'm sure they will be taken care of with my dealer, but I was wondering if anyone had any input.

Love the site

Ranting.gif

Its normal. These boats are hand built, then they go through a 10 minute water test. Usually, some of the items you listed are found during the OTW delivery. Fortunately, you tested it all and found it before the 10 hour service. :)

Boomer,

Just get an allen wrench and you can remove the wheel and move it over a hole or so if needed. Just mark it with a wax pen so you know how far you have to move it.

Another thing to note is the wheels center will vary if the boat pulls or if you have more weight on one side since the pull of the boat will have to be compensated with the rudder, so check if it is pulling first, bc then you can just adjust the rudder.

You can also center the wheel by adjusting the steering cable where it hooks up to the tiller arm.

Bill

Care to elaborate? Mine is slightly off center, but not enough to use the allens (then it would be off the other way). Can you use the bigger bolt in the center of the steering wheel as well?

Where the steering cable hooks up to the tiller arm it goes through a tube with jam nuts on each side. Loosen the jam nuts and turn the tube one way or the other to make the minor adjustment that you need. When I get photo priveliges I will post a pic of the setup.

Bill

Where the steering cable hooks up to the tiller arm it goes through a tube with jam nuts on each side.  Loosen the jam nuts and turn the tube one way or the other to make the minor adjustment that you need.   When I get photo priveliges I will post a pic of the setup.

Bill

Thanks, Bill. I'll have to take a peek back there and see what's what.

And pics would be nice if you have them.

Edited by VinRLX

Good call bill, I forgot you could do that, but my dealer had to do it to my last boat for the reason that it was not off much at all.

Good advice guys, thanks. I usually tune issues like this myself, not worth bothering the dealer.

Every boat I've bought there seems to be a tuning-in phase, sorta like a brand new house. Once you get the edges smoothed out, all is good.

I have just finished putting my introductory 10 hours on my boat and am planning to take it to my dealer to change my fluids, etc.  My question is:  I have discovered quite a few little issues with my boat.  Is this normal? 

For example:  Steering wheel isn't centered.  It is pointing at 9:30 instead of 12.

One of the springed posts that secure the wedge is secured by 2 little brass thumb screws.  One is obviously cross threaded and the post doesn't seat properly.

Are these quality faux pas normal?  I'm sure they will be taken care of with my dealer, but I was wondering if anyone had any input.

Love the site

Ranting.gif

All new boats have bugs that have to be worked out. If that's all you've got you're in great shape!