Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

PP Install Question

mlange

I'm helping my buddy install PP on his '98 Supra w/ an Indmar Assault and we've ran into a road block. The flame arrestor on the front of the engine, which is right where the cable from the PP servo motor would come from, is just too darn wide. The flame arrestor is a full 9 1/2" wide and we probably need another 1/2" of clearance on that one side.

PP was unfortunately no help and thinks it's an aftermarket flame arrestor - it is most definitely not.

Indmar hasn't been able to provide an alternative part number after my buddy provided them with the engine's serial number.

I can't find any cross reference with the K&N flame arrestor.

In short - no freakin' luck whatsoever.

My buddy has a call in to his dealer to see if they can provide any help, but no call back yet.

post-197-1214333723_thumb.jpg

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,

Mike

PP, Mark specifically, has been contacted multiple times and been provided with the same picture. He said he'd talk to others around PP, but no luck so far.

The owner's manual my buddy has does have a picture of this flame arrestor on the engine and you can clearly see the K&N logo in the owner's manual, so I think it's safe to say it is not aftermarket - it came on the engine.

It an oval shaped clamp-on, but it unfortunately can't just be rotated due to the thermostat assembly that is directly beneath it. In fact, you probably can't rotate it more than a degree or two because it's such a tight fit.

I'm thinking there's gotta be another K&N that would fit, but be a couple inches narrower. Another alternative we are considering is putting a spacer in place to bring the throttle linkage out away from the engine a bit more, but we're concerned about introducing some play into the mix.

The saga continues...

It sounds like after being tossed around PP a bit they came up with the solution. They have an adapter that takes the approach we were considering by adding a bushing between the throttle arm and the L bracket. Attached are the pictures for anyone else that runs into this in the future.

It took awhile, but PP came through again.

post-197-1214338987_thumb.jpg

Mike