Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'00 Response Back Panel Removal

I want to add one of those small, clear access vents to the back seat so I can see my gas tank level in my RLX (even though the sender unit mod worked great, now my gas gauge itself is hosed, sometimes it gets stuck in a certain position (usually E), and it just clicks away while the key is on). I removed the 4 screws from the 2 brackets that attach it to the floor board. Anyone know what else I need to do to remove that panel (i am talking about the whole panel that you would normally lean against when sitting in the back seat of an RLX). I am thinking that there are probably some screws in the trunk that I probably need to find next.

thanks,

John

I installed one in my SLXi...didnt' take it apart. I removed the floor section above the HDS box / rudder so I could see, used a Rotozip to make the cut. Took less than 20 mins including clean up.

I think it was your boat that I got the idea from (or someone on here). My old Wahoo fish boat had one too, loved it.

interesting. was there actually space between the tank and the back panel. on the RLX, its seems to be right up against it. Also, did you just cut right through the material, and not worry about the material tearing, or did you do something to keep the material from tearing. Sorry for all the questions, but was it easy to install, considereing that backing is pretty thick?

thanks again,

John

There was about 1" of clearance between the panel and the fuel tank. The area I installed it was carpeted so it wasn't too big of a worry. If it's vinyl, I'd just scribe the line to be cut with a pen or marker...use a sharp razor blade to cut the vinyl and foam backing. Once cut, use a rotozip to make the cut in the star board. The access panel has a pretty wide lip on it so you have a fair amount of wiggle room. attached is a pic where I installed a similar one on the motorbox w/o issue.

All in all, a pretty easy job if you take your time. Your RLX may be a bit tighter since it's a smaller boat than my SLXi...

Copy2ofMotorboxmods2.jpg

edwin, thanks. that picture is basically what I want to do (except with the clear cover), only on the back of the RLX seatback, which is vinyl. I will do what you suggested. there definitely is less than an inch of space between the back and the tank though. i can barely get my fingers in there.

Shoot now I have to think...

Should be a couple lag bolts on the port and starboard gunnels where the seat back wraps around. Could be 2 or 4 total, you will just have to feel (7/16" is the socket size you will need)

Then a bunch of screws along the back edge that you access from the trunk, probably all hidden in the carpet.

Haven't done one of these in awhile so my memory could be off.

-Chris

Yeah, but John prolly wants to finish the mod before the end of the season. Whistling.gif

jack, you can never let one get by can you (but it was a good one)?

and chris, thanks for the info...

jack, how goes the new boat? I am supposed to teach some of our techs a new product sometime in august in your area. i just may have to swing buy and check out that ride.

Yeah, but John prolly wants to finish the mod before the end of the season. Whistling.gif

Well Jack at least my post attempted to be USEFULL unlike 99.9% of yours.

Go polish your pylon or something....punk.

jack, how goes the new boat? I am supposed to teach some of our techs a new product sometime in august in your area. i just may have to swing buy and check out that ride.

John, ABSOLUTELY! Send me a PM or email as to what time frame. I no longer have the Doberman mix that smiles, but my son's lab-dalmatian occasionally does. :) Definitely would enjoy having you drive/ski the '08, just don't bring Chris with you. Fingerwag.gif

Punk? It's MISTER Punk to you. And if you truly want to be 'usefull' you should learn how to spell useful. Back to school for you, punk, but thank you for playing. :lol:

John, ABSOLUTELY! Send me a PM or email as to what time frame. I no longer have the Doberman mix that smiles, but my son's lab-dalmatian occasionally does. :) Definitely would enjoy having you drive/ski the '08, just don't bring Chris with you. Fingerwag.gif

Punk? It's MISTER Punk to you. And if you truly want to be 'usefull' you should learn how to spell useful. Back to school for you, punk, but thank you for playing. :lol:

Jack, will let you know as time gets closer (our schedules may be changing because one of the other trainers just ripped bicep muscles moving a vanity (i told him not to do housework)). I may just be a passenger if I visit though, as i just got word that i have torn my MCL, and that my 2 previous ACL repairs have left some arthritis, although i am jacked on cortisone (sp?) now, and it is feeling OK. Hoping it gets me through till the fall.

and I will make sure i come on a day that chris is unavailable Whistling.gif

Edited by jgouveia3
I may just be a passenger if I visit though, as i just got word that i have torn my MCL, and that my 2 previous ACL repairs have left some arthritis, although i am jacked on cortisone (sp?) now, and it is feeling OK. Hoping it gets me through till the fall.

and I will make sure i come on a day that chris is unavailable Whistling.gif

Let me know for sure! Hopefully I will be skiing again by then--my back is giving me problems and am waiting for an MRI. Have no idea at this point where my season is going. Regardless, it'd be great to have you here for a visit, and if neither of us can ski we can always just drive the snot out of the boat. Not to mention I probably should still drive for my wife--have to justify the new boat somehow. Biggrin.gif Hell, she likes the wake on this boat better than I do anyway.