Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Those that have installed their own Perfect Pass

Intense

Over the weekend, I installed Perfect Pass on my boat. Before I got everything hooked up, I powered it up and it worked fine. Display showed a couple options, and modes, etc. I finished installing the rest of the system...paddlewheel, servo motor and tried to fire it up again. This time, the display flashed 8 bars (single line display) and kept beeping at me.

I crawled under the dash and started unhooking connectors and such trying to figure out what I had done wrong. Nothing seemed to work. But I noticed the MM was making a soft clicking noise when the display beeped. I re-read the install instructions and suspected I wasn't getting enough voltage to the MM. So, I pulled out my multi-meter and tested the connections I had selected for my 12v power and ground, which is at the ignition switch. It showed 10.76 with the engine off. So I put the boat in the water and fired up the motor and let the voltage come up, now it was showing 13.8V. Plugged the power back into the MM and I was still getting the beeping and flashing screen. At this point, I was too frustrated to think clearly. So I just unplugged the MM and tried to enjoy the rest of the day, thinking I had fried the MM or display, somehow.

I called PP Monday and they suggested that I was putting out enough voltage for the MM to power up. They suggested I unplug the resistor to the servo motor and try again. Crossing my fingers on this one. I thought I had tested that scenario when I disconnected the servo harness from the MM, but I guess not.

Here are my questions:

-Why would my PP still not fire up after I: 1) disconnected the servo/motor harness from the MM, 2) tried to fire up PP when the boat was started and I was showing 13.8V

-If the problem is the low voltage, where else can I tap power on my boat to get adequate voltage? Right now, I'm using the power and ground from the ignition switch. I don't have any fancy stereo equipment. Just a regular CD player and four speakers.

Can I wire in some sort of voltage amplifier? Stereo guys, some help here?

thanks!

BTW, this is a 98 sunsetter LX

Sorry I can't help on this specific problem but I will say that PP's tech support was awesome when I was installing PP in our '00 SLXi. I'm sure they will help you track it down and will make sure it's working well for you. Good luck!

I don't have any suggestions, but I am curious which model PP you purchased, and how long it took you to install it. I've been considering either the basic PP Cruise (RPM based), or the StarGazer Wakeboard edition (GPS based) for my '98 Sunsetter LX. We don't do any slalom skiing, and really just want to make it easier for my wife and dad to drive while towing me on a wakeboard or Air Chair. Sorry for going OT.

I actually pieced together a system from a couple different sources. I bought a used single line display locally. Got the MM, paddlewheel, and associated wiring from a guy who had the stuff lying around. What was left over, I bought from skier-to-skier.

All told, I saved about 50% from new.

Installation wasn't bad. I thought the wiring was going to be more tedious than it turned out. I brought out my soldering iron and everything...didn't need it. Mounted the MM, ran the wires, and drilled that 2 1/8" hole in the bottom of my boat and I was good to go. All told, it probably took 3 hours.

Of course, I don't have a working system yet. So factor that in.

I was told by a few people that wakeboarding is more consistent with the MPH based system. So, I went with the Wakeboard Pro.

I should tell you that I got the 5" single line display and ended up replacing my tachometer on my boat. The original gauge is 4", so I had to take a Dremel to the dash to make the display fit. But it looks great now! I'll try to get a few pics the next time I'm out.

If you do decide to get PP, let me know and I'll walk you thru what I did.

Did you take the 12v+ off the tach as stated in the instructions? If so I suggest you use one of your accessory switches to power the perfect pass. I had the same problem. My install was on a 97 Response and the voltage was low at the tach. The only draw back is that you have to remember to turn it OFF when you finish or it will run the battery down.

Did you take the 12v+ off the tach as stated in the instructions? If so I suggest you use one of your accessory switches to power the perfect pass. I had the same problem. My install was on a 97 Response and the voltage was low at the tach. The only draw back is that you have to remember to turn it OFF when you finish or it will run the battery down.

I'm pulling the 12v+ off the ignition switch. I have a newer-ish boat (98), hence my tach doesn't have a 12V+ lead. In 98, Malibu switch to the Borg-Warner MMDC system for the gauges. Besides, I took out my tach to mount the PP display.

I might try running the PP off a switch, though.