Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2001 Wakesetter Bilge Question

I went to the Lake last weekend and was camping. I pulled the boat out (rather than mooring it) and trailered it to my campsite. I always check the bilge thoughout the day. As we were trailering the boat we hit a downhill and water rushed out of the ski locker and towards the bow of the boat over the floor board. I think it is still trying to dry out. This got me thinking as too why a couple things may seem different on my boat than others.

Typically I have 4 to 6 adults/children in my boat on any given lake day. My questions are:

1) With out any ballast fill should my swimdeck be under water?

2) I seems that water does not drain from the front to the back (I always pull the ski locker plug to drain)?

3) Is their a common source for leaks?

I went to the Lake last weekend and was camping. I pulled the boat out (rather than mooring it) and trailered it to my campsite. I always check the bilge thoughout the day. As we were trailering the boat we hit a downhill and water rushed out of the ski locker and towards the bow of the boat over the floor board. I think it is still trying to dry out. This got me thinking as too why a couple things may seem different on my boat than others.

Typically I have 4 to 6 adults/children in my boat on any given lake day. My questions are:

2) I seems that water does not drain from the front to the back (I always pull the ski locker plug to drain)?

I've got the same hull as you, and the locker is the "lowest point". The drips from the prop shaft seal run forward under the fuel tank into the locker. A drip every 15 seconds or so from the shaft seal is normal & required for packing cooling/lubrication. If yours is leaking more, it can be adjusted. As far as leaks, I have wondered if the fins in the center of the hull are leaking through the bolt holes, where does the water go ? There should be a threaded hole at the back of your ski locker. You could screw a plug in it & see if it stays dry. On my boat, sitting full of gear & fuel, with no people, the swim deck is laying on top of the water, but I understand that the factory does not always drill the mounting holes exactly in the same spot from boat to boat.

Thanks for the information. I will somehow try to gauge my prop shaft leaking. I have been kind of ignoring this for awhile and thought I should figure it out while everything else with the boat seems to be in order.

I've got the same hull as you, and the locker is the "lowest point". The drips from the prop shaft seal run forward under the fuel tank into the locker. A drip every 15 seconds or so from the shaft seal is normal & required for packing cooling/lubrication. If yours is leaking more, it can be adjusted. As far as leaks, I have wondered if the fins in the center of the hull are leaking through the bolt holes, where does the water go ? There should be a threaded hole at the back of your ski locker. You could screw a plug in it & see if it stays dry. On my boat, sitting full of gear & fuel, with no people, the swim deck is laying on top of the water, but I understand that the factory does not always drill the mounting holes exactly in the same spot from boat to boat.