Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rudder turned backwards

I've got a 2008 23LSV and while backing up I hit a sand bar. We pushed the boat off the sand and started the engine, but when I put it in gear the rudder made one heck of a noise. I swam under the boat and discovered that the rudder was completely turned around and had come in contact with the prop. Using the steering wheel, I could turn the rudder so that is was sideways to the prop and drive the boat at idle speed (although it was nearly impossible to steer). I was more than 30 miles from home and after driving the boat in this condition for nearly three hours something happened to the rudder as it seemed to have snapped back into its normal operating position. I was then able to drive the boat at normal speeds back to the landing.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Does anyone know what kind of dammage may have been done?

Edited by LGrooms

After seeing the title on this thread, I was hoping to see some pics.

Never heard of the problem. Definitely time to have the dealer or someone in the know check it out.

While I can't say that it was a common thing, it actually used to be something that we would see pop up on MBO from time to time. Usually it was from having the wheel cranked all the way over & hitting reverse hard, & it was usually a vdrive that would do it. I haven't seen it come up in several years though, & I can't speak to whether or not in this case you'll be okay without getting it checked out. I think that I would.

You might check the key in the rudder shaft, as it may have broken as it should have on impact, & then the pressure on it while driving back may have realigned it for the time being.

I've got the boat scheduled to be in the dealer's shop on Wednesday so they can take a good look. There is nothing odd to photograph as the rudder appears fine, with the only exception being the notches on the prop caused by the backwards rudder.

While I can't say that it was a common thing, it actually used to be something that we would see pop up on MBO from time to time. Usually it was from having the wheel cranked all the way over & hitting reverse hard, & it was usually a vdrive that would do it. I haven't seen it come up in several years though, & I can't speak to whether or not in this case you'll be okay without getting it checked out. I think that I would.

This is exactly what happened to me a couple of times with my 01 SSVLX - in fact it happened to me the very first time I had the boat out. The prop got dinged up and the dealer replaced it right away. Part of the problem with that boat was that they had the wrong rudder on the boat. I would assume that in a 2008 boat that wouldn't be the case here.

Power of the Prop.

The issue that came up a number of years ago was that if the steering range was not centered or even perhaps a touch more to one side, and the wheel was all the way to the stop on the closer side, hard reverse would literally "suck" the barn door of a rudder "over center" if you will, and it will contact the prop. The definitive fix at the time was the installation of hard stops on either side of the rudder arm, stopping the rudder from having the ability to be pulled over center. While this only happened on cases where the steering was a touch lopsided, Malibu sent out rudder stops to a large number.

My guess is this has happened in this case. Although the rudder on direct drives is smaller, I would always encourage everyone to hold onto the wheel firmly when in reverse, and if possible hold the rudder more centered than over against a stop.

Peter