Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Engine Installed

Installed new engine and took boat out sunday. When we put in the water their was no noise, shaft seemed to be aligned ok. During the day I started to hear a ticking noise when I would put the boat in forward and idle. As the day went on it got worse. Weird thing is when I am at idle or in reverse no noise. Also, I pulled the choke and throttled up and still no noise (engine sounded great!). I put in new xpc bearings in the strut while the motor was out so I am unsure what it would sound like if shaft was out of alignment and if it was, why did it not have the noise as soon as I put in the water. So my questions are:

If it were a failed exhaust manifold gasket wouldn't the noise be there even when boat is idle or when I throttled up in neutral, or does it have to have a load to cause enough pressure on the manifold to have a small leak causing the noise?

Could the engine have shifted during the course of the day and cause mis alignment thus causing a noise from the strut bearings?

Also, I need to tighten the stuffing box because I was dripping like crazy. Having to pump bilge every 30 minutes to be safe. Could the loose stuffing box cause the shaft to have enough play to cause a noise in the strut bushings?

Thanks,

AF1

Maybe a lifter out of adjustment.?

Engine sounded good when I reved up in neutral? Should have heard it then if was lifter adjustment don't you think?

Bottom line is, you have to figure out where the noise is coming from. Use a stethoscope or even a piece of tubing to figure out the source. You would hear the exhaust manifold gasket ticking whether you were in gear or not, so that's not the issue. If you replaced the engine, you had better have re-aligned the coupling to .003".

Bottom line is, you have to figure out where the noise is coming from. Use a stethoscope or even a piece of tubing to figure out the source. You would hear the exhaust manifold gasket ticking whether you were in gear or not, so that's not the issue. If you replaced the engine, you had better have re-aligned the coupling to .003".

I'm pretty sure that is going to be the root cause "alignment". When the mechanic put the engine in he eyeballed it. What type of gauge do I need and how do I use it?

Quick crash course on alignment: Unbolt the 4 bolts that hold the trans coupling half to the shaft coupling half. Find yourself a set of feeler gauges, which look like strips of metal with thickness markings on them. You'll want the .003 one. Hold the coupling halves together by hand and use the feeler gauge to see if there are any gaps between the coupling halves. Adjust the engine mounts to align the engine and eliminate the gap. Could be that the damage is already done in the output bearings of the trans or the shaft side of the coupling, which could have gotten rounded out due to the misalignment.

Quick crash course on alignment: Unbolt the 4 bolts that hold the trans coupling half to the shaft coupling half. Find yourself a set of feeler gauges, which look like strips of metal with thickness markings on them. You'll want the .003 one. Hold the coupling halves together by hand and use the feeler gauge to see if there are any gaps between the coupling halves. Adjust the engine mounts to align the engine and eliminate the gap. Could be that the damage is already done in the output bearings of the trans or the shaft side of the coupling, which could have gotten rounded out due to the misalignment.

Almost positive it is alignment. Just got the boat out of storage and looked at the strut bearings. (On the rear bearing it is worn on the top end and no wear on the bottom. Got a feeler gauge and will try to re-align tonight..... Wish me luck

AF1

Well, took it to a Pro for alignment and just got the bad news...... Bent shaft and strut! This happened when my wife ran aground just before my engine $hit on me..... Anyhow, where would I find a shaft and strut for my boat at the cheapest price??? Please help....

AF1

(is grounded)

• 2 weeks later...
Bummer! At least it's not a transmission bearing or something. Elbert's is always a good source for shafts, and Marine Hardware should have a strut for your boat.

Finally got the cash to order the strut and shaft! Should be in next week. Bought the strut with bushings at Marine Hardware. Don at Marine Hardaware is the man! Also ordered the shaft assembly from Elberts. Cut me a great deal. If you need anything from Elberts talk to Cecil. He was awesome. With some luck all the parts should be in next week and hopefully have the boat back in the water next weekend! Sucks not having the boat running, but we were tied up moving out to lake medina during the fourth so hasn't been too bad. We are 1 mile from the boat ramp now. Thank you Baby Jesus with your golden fleece diapers...... Air Force One is still grounded, but will be back in the air soon! Thanks for the links for the parts skicrave!

AF1

Rockon.gifClap.gifThumbup.gifCheers.gifYahoo.gifBiggrin.gif

• 4 weeks later...
Bummer! At least it's not a transmission bearing or something. Elbert's is always a good source for shafts, and Marine Hardware should have a strut for your boat.

Finally got the cash to order the strut and shaft! Should be in next week. Bought the strut with bushings at Marine Hardware. Don at Marine Hardaware is the man! Also ordered the shaft assembly from Elberts. Cut me a great deal. If you need anything from Elberts talk to Cecil. He was awesome. With some luck all the parts should be in next week and hopefully have the boat back in the water next weekend! Sucks not having the boat running, but we were tied up moving out to lake medina during the fourth so hasn't been too bad. We are 1 mile from the boat ramp now. Thank you Baby Jesus with your golden fleece diapers...... Air Force One is still grounded, but will be back in the air soon! Thanks for the links for the parts skicrave!

AF1

Rockon.gifClap.gifThumbup.gifCheers.gifYahoo.gifBiggrin.gif

Well, after getting the wrong shaft delivered I finally got the correct shaft and boat is ready to go to the lake. Everything is lined up per specs, plus new auto bilge installed instead of manual bilge. Going to make a test run this evening after work. I am currently running a 3 blade 13x13, but would like to go back to a 4 blade. Does anyone have a 4 blade to match my boat that they are willing to sell? I have a 94 Euro F3 with 1-1/8" shaft. PM me if you are interested in selling a prop. The 3 blade seems to cavitate more when turning versus the 4 blade I had previous to my wife mangling it when hitting the bottom!

AF1 Yahoo.gif