Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Moomba Outback questions....

spinxt

Hey guys, a buddy that's in our ski group has been looking at used RLXis. He's now turned on to a Moomba Outback (direct drive). Anything I can pass on to him about the Moomba? I checked it out online....I have to say it almost seems too good to be true.....less than $30K MSRP brand new!! I'm wondering where they implemented the cost savings....engine, fit&finish, hull design?

I think he'd most be interested in how the wake would perform compared to the RLX (that's what the other 3 of us in the group have).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.....

I can't speak on the slalom wake. I suggest that you go with him on a 6:00 am slalom demo of the boat and report back to us!

When you get into the Moomba you will quickly see and feel some of where they kept their costs down: Seats, carpet, general fit and finish. However, with that said, it is a very good value if you are strictly looking for a slalom workhorse. I know that they upgraded their seating in '08 so it may not be as much of an issue. It is certainly worth a demo if you are considering a used boat or a new Moomba. Be sure to price it with all options that you want. They do add up rather quickly. Still a good value but the base price doesn't reflect the boat you will probably want to buy. Moomba uses Indmar so no issues there. I spent quite a bit of time at the Chicago Boat Show trying to like the 07 Outback V before I decided on my VTX (trying to save $$$) but when you sit in a Moomba it is obvious it isn't a Malibu.

See Waterski Magazine to start your shopping:

http://www.waterskimag.com/VTD/2008/Moomba...re=1&boat=1

Our ski team went to a Moomba one year after several years of Malibus. It stunk. Didn't perform or handle nearly as well and the slalom wakes didn't hold a candle to the Malibus or the subsequent Mastercrafts and CCs the team has had.

Sit in one and you will see where the savings comes from. Not that that is bad. If you want a boat to chase bouys, the frill isn't that big of a deal. Can't speak for the skiability. Keep in mind that they are built by Supra...Solid reputable company.

The first thing I notice when in Moombas is the sound of water slapping the hull. The hull bottom and sides are noticeable thinner than the Bu's.

The interiors are basic, and upholstery is noticeably thinner than the 'big 3'. If your friend wants a decent beginner/base ski boat...then it may be perfect for him. Personally, I would look for a good used RLX/RLXi :) .