Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Slow starting

For the last two years all I had to do was bump the key and the engine would roar to life. This last weekend I had to crank the engine quite a bit longer before it would fire. Sometimes I was not sure if it would fire or not. Both batteries were charged and the starter seemed to turn it over at normal speed. Any ideas before I call the dealer and try to get it into the shop?

Fuel pressure regulator not holding pressure. Your fuel pump will run for 2 seconds on key up, but will not run again till the ECM sees a reference from the distibutor showing it is sparking at running speed. This means the pump does not run when cranking the engine, but if your FPR was holding fuel system pressure, there would be plenty of reserve pressure for cranking. Your loosing that reserve pressure.

I've wondered if the heavier oil that we run would have anything to do with that type of scenario, particularly when starting it cold.

I can see that happening on a cold start, but it happened all day long. It seemed to me like it needed several more seconds of cranking to fire than normal.

Fuel pressure regulator not holding pressure. Your fuel pump will run for 2 seconds on key up, but will not run again till the ECM sees a reference from the distibutor showing it is sparking at running speed. This means the pump does not run when cranking the engine, but if your FPR was holding fuel system pressure, there would be plenty of reserve pressure for cranking. Your loosing that reserve pressure.

Yes, but as soon as you turn the key the fuel pump should run and pressurize the system even if it did bleed off while the engine was shut down. I won't argue that it is not fuel related, because that was my first thought. It is just not acting like its old fuel injected self, hit the key roar to life, go play. Now its hit the key...crank....crank.....crank...finally starts, sometime stumbles (another fuel clue) then roars to life.

thanks for the help so far....anyone else

Can you hear the fuel pump running when you turn the key on? I can, every time.

hmmm...guess I am going to have to quiet the stereo and the five teenage boys....