Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Perfect Pass

wedge88

I have a 2006 RLXi with Perfect Pass Digital Pro. We have been out 5-6 times this year and using perfect pass was awesome. We had never had it before and it held just exact. Then last week we went on vacation and were running the course and it started acting up. I don't think the course had magnets but after the first day of running I would set speed to hold at 34.3 and it would engage at 28mph. The boat speedo was off alittle from the PP so I got out the manual and tried adjusting to match to two together first and it would not let me. I went step by step in the manual and even did a system reset. This is all only in slalom mode. When I go to wakeboard mode it holds exact and even lets me adjust on the fly if I want more or less speed. What am I missing here? Thanks

I have a 2006 RLXi with Perfect Pass Digital Pro. We have been out 5-6 times this year and using perfect pass was awesome. We had never had it before and it held just exact. Then last week we went on vacation and were running the course and it started acting up. I don't think the course had magnets but after the first day of running I would set speed to hold at 34.3 and it would engage at 28mph. The boat speedo was off alittle from the PP so I got out the manual and tried adjusting to match to two together first and it would not let me. I went step by step in the manual and even did a system reset. This is all only in slalom mode. When I go to wakeboard mode it holds exact and even lets me adjust on the fly if I want more or less speed. What am I missing here? Thanks

I have the same speed control and the same exact problem at 34.3 MPH. Speedo only shows around 28 MPH. After reading the manual again, found out that slalom mode is RPM based, and not MPH based. I actually had to calibrate all slalom speeds with my GPS and re-calibrate my RPM's to match. Make any sense?

It sounds like you're using slalom mode but your baselines have never been set up correctly, which can only be done with a smart or hand timer. Until you can calibrate the baseline rpm for each speed in slalom mode, you shouldn't use that mode. I'd suggest using RPM WB mode until you can calibrate with smart or hand timer, as they will not be right, and it's not a speedo issue. Follow?

But he said he's been out 5-6 times and that it was ok before. And even if you haven't set up your baselines yet they shouldn't be off a full 630 rpms, which is around what it would take to adjust from 28 to 34.3. That assumes you've got the stock ACME 515 prop.

Is this PP SG or 6.5? If you go into your baseline calibration screen what does it say your baseline is for 34.3? This should pretty quickly tell us if it is a baseline thing.

Mike

PP in slalom mode will not engage when a speed is hit but rather when the baseline rpm is reached for the speed in which it is calibrated.

Did it hold 34mph once it got up to speed? What was different about the way you used it on vacation vs previous use? Short set up in a course?

Best way to calibrate the speedo in PP in conjunction with the baseline is to use a course with magnets...run it, hit quick calibrate and adjust speedo...done. As you've experinced, it's a pain to do following the manual.

I believe I have the 6.5 and not SG. These posts all make a lot of sense. The baseline RPM is probably where the problem is. When I used prior to last week it was short sets but it held. Would magnets effect previous settings? I was not paying that close attention if the course had magnets as I was constantly have to disengage PP and run manually which is never fun in the course but it is how we have done it for the last 15 years as this is our first w/ PP. I will setup the baseline and see how that works. We are heading out in 2 weeks. The wakeboard mode worked great but it was constantly adjusting speed on turns as the course was in the back of a cove with tight turns but I will keep playing with it. It will be worth it when all is working. Thanks all for the help

I will also look at what baseline calibration is set to and get back to everyone tonight.

And even if you haven't set up your baselines yet they shouldn't be off a full 630 rpms, which is around what it would take to adjust from 28 to 34.3. Is this

PP SG or 6.5? If you go into your baseline calibration screen what does it say your baseline is for 34.3? This should pretty quickly tell us if it is a baseline thing.

Mine was. When setting up my baselines boat was 8 mph slow. Agree that if OP can tell us what the current baselines are we can tell.

OP, just a suggestion for a temporary fix, put a handheld GPS in the boat and calibrate your analog speedo off that. Then run ppass in wakeboard RPM mode when skiing. Not as good as slalom, but far better pull for skiing than speed-based wakeboard.

My RPM Baseline in Slalom mode is 3360 at 34.2mph. That seems a little low but should not engage at 28mph either.

But he said he's been out 5-6 times and that it was ok before. And even if you haven't set up your baselines yet they shouldn't be off a full 630 rpms, which is around what it would take to adjust from 28 to 34.3. That assumes you've got the stock ACME 515 prop.

Is this PP SG or 6.5? If you go into your baseline calibration screen what does it say your baseline is for 34.3? This should pretty quickly tell us if it is a baseline thing.

Mike

Have you ever calibrated the analog speedo off of the ppass speedo? In other words, it sounds like your baseline is fairly close, but your ppass speedo could be off unless it has been calibrated using magnets or the ppass hand timer. If so, did you by any chance think that ppass was "right" and then change analog?

Have you ever calibrated the analog speedo off of the ppass speedo? In other words, it sounds like your baseline is fairly close, but your ppass speedo could be off unless it has been calibrated using magnets or the ppass hand timer. If so, did you by any chance think that ppass was "right" and then change analog?

I have not changed or calibrated. The analog boat speedo seems to run about 2 mph higher than perfect pass. I have run next to other boats to verify that my analog speedo seems dead on and the perfect pass if off. This is why I set up PP at 34mph. I usually run the course around 32.5mph so I figured if I set for 34.3 it would engage at a real 32.3.

I have not changed or calibrated. The analog boat speedo seems to run about 2 mph higher than perfect pass. I have run next to other boats to verify that my analog speedo seems dead on and the perfect pass if off. This is why I set up PP at 34mph. I usually run the course around 32.5mph so I figured if I set for 34.3 it would engage at a real 32.3.

you didn't buy a Four Winns I/O, verify you speeds with either a GPS or course with magnets, not running next to another boat. all this is a moot point anyway if you didn't input values for skier weight and crew weight...your speeds (and resulting times in the course) will be off.

Your baseline for 34mph should be very close at 3360rpms.

I am now confused. Earlier you were talking about ppass engaging at 28 when in slalom mode. It very well may if you're still coming up to speed and it's rpm based. If you're saying you set it on 34, are running appropriate crew and skier weight, and the boat is going 28, then thats different. IS that what you're saying problem is?

I am now confused. Earlier you were talking about ppass engaging at 28 when in slalom mode. It very well may if you're still coming up to speed and it's rpm based. If you're saying you set it on 34, are running appropriate crew and skier weight, and the boat is going 28, then thats different. IS that what you're saying problem is?

Perfect Pass is engaging at 28mph and holding while set for 34. I have crew and skier weight setup. You are correct that I did not buy an I/O but I did not have GPS or a course with magnets while on a weeks vacation so the only thing I could verify off of was another Malibu running side by side to verify speedo.

I think nothing of it engaging at 28, but how fast does your analog say you're going with correct crew and skier weight when set at 34? What does ppass say?

It engages at 28 and holds 28mph on PP. My analog says 30. Like I previously posted the analog is running about 2mph higher than PP and this is what I verified by running side by side with another malibu because I did not have a GPS with me. I will be taking the GPS in a couple weeks when we head out to verify analog.

What rpms was the boat turning when it indicated 28 on PP and 30 on the analog tach?

In my 05 RLXi and my normal ski group - crew weight is 400lbs, skier weight is 185 - 200lbs, my baseline for 34mph is 3340 rpms. When pulling this set up, my boat is turning 3550 - 3580 rpms in the course.

To make this a tad more complex, I get hot times with this setup unless I use 40 rpms of offset.

Edwin, We think alike, see my last post.

I have virtually the same numbers, but don't have to run an offset. Whats your SSB Edwin? I used to run an 18, but have had to reduce to 10 for some reason this season to get balanced times.

What rpms was the boat turning when it indicated 28 on PP and 30 on the analog tach?

In my 05 RLXi and my normal ski group - crew weight is 400lbs, skier weight is 185 - 200lbs, my baseline for 34mph is 3340 rpms. When pulling this set up, my boat is turning 3550 - 3580 rpms in the course.

To make this a tad more complex, I get hot times with this setup unless I use 40 rpms of offset.

This I will have to check and match up next time out. I appreciate everyones input but I think I need to get back on the water and mess around with it. At least now I have some sample numbers to verify with what I am reading.

Edwin, We think alike, see my last post.

I have virtually the same numbers, but don't have to run an offset. Whats your SSB Edwin? I used to run an 18, but have had to reduce to 10 for some reason this season to get balanced times.

I don't recall exactly what the SSB is but I thought it was 16. I spent a fair amount of time getting it dialed in last year at my site, it's normally + / - .01 on each segment...actually really surprises me how consistent the times can be.

I'm going to have to re-do my baselines on my 13x11.5 prop as I had OJ do some add'l tweaking so it's better set up for those 600lb crew weight nights.