Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Think anything will happen to Indmar?

UWSkier

I know Indmar is located in Vonore TN, the home of MasterCraft. With the widely-publicized forthcoming acquisition of MC by Penske, and Penske's claim that they're going to use their own engines and dump Indmar, what if any impact do you think that will have on Malibu? Might this be the beginning of the end for Indmar or do they have a large enough customer base outside the towboat world that they can afford to lose the volume the #2 towboat manufacturer brings?

I think that at least some of it will depend on how well Penske does with its own powerplant. Indmar & PCM have been the 2 benchmarks in this industry for a long time. PCM is a good example, they don't produce the volume but still put out a fantastic product. Indmar may have to scale back a bit, but I can't see it putting them under completely.

I thought Indmar was based in Millington, TN. I don't know the location of their other plants.

Oops. Appears you're right. That's what I get for believing a bull$#!tter. :)

Doesn't seem like the craft of making marinized boat engines would be that difficult. Seems like the business end of it all would be the most difficult. And if Penske is going in with a big manufacturer willing to buy their motors right away, seems like it would be that much easier. And I'd bet other boat manufacturers will look at Penske motors in their boats too.

Hopefully Indmar is looking at things to keep themselves competitive....... how about alternative fuel sources?!

And I'd bet other boat manufacturers will look at Penske motors in their boats too.

Maybe. :unsure: Maybe not. :unsure: That would be kind of like Ford buying engines from GM for their trucks.

And I'd bet other boat manufacturers will look at Penske motors in their boats too.

Maybe. :unsure: Maybe not. :unsure: That would be kind of like Ford buying engines from GM for their trucks.

Maybe though. Remember when the Ford 351 was pretty much the industry standard?

Indmar makes too good of a product to go away. I wonder if the fact that MCs will have an unproven engine in them will hurt sales.

Yea, I don't think Indmar is going away. They make motors for too many other boat manufacturers for this to completely sink them right away. I would imagine MC accounts for maybe 20 or 30% of their sales. But introducing new engines or technologies would definitely keep them on the cutting edge.

I definitely would wonder about Penske engines effecting sales. MC must be thinking of that & how to best work around it, ie; rolling out the Penske's in one or two boat lines the first year or two.

I was really thinking that maybe any of the smaller boat manufacturers would look at Penske if MC went that way. Having Calabria or Skier's Choice introduce a Penske motor is hardly anything like Ford using a GM motor.

Maybe though. Remember when the Ford 351 was pretty much the industry standard?

Remember that Ford brought that on themselves by phasing out that block. PCM kind of helped speed it up by buying out all the castings for a lot of years.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
I definitely would wonder about Penske engines effecting sales. MC must be thinking of that & how to best work around it, ie; rolling out the Penske's in one or two boat lines the first year or two.

Don't know how much of that would be up to MC as their parent company will be driving that decision I'd imagine...

I was really thinking that maybe any of the smaller boat manufacturers would look at Penske if MC went that way. Having Calabria or Skier's Choice introduce a Penske motor is hardly anything like Ford using a GM motor.

OK, I see your point. My first thought was of top tier manufacturers and I can't see that happening but you're right, a company like Calabria or SVFara...could happen.