Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Remote Engine Start

fever5

Hi I was wondering if anyone knows or thinks it would be possible to wire in a remote start to a marine (Indmar, mercruiser) engine?

I was thinking of wiring the door lock to turn on blower, then door unlock to turn off blower...with the start, starting the motor.

Dumb question maybe but why ?

I enjoy my quiet time just sitting chilling, checking guages etc as the engine warms up.....and before all the family jumps in and noise level rises

Dumb question maybe but why ?

I enjoy my quiet time just sitting chilling, checking guages etc as the engine warms up.....and before all the family jumps in and noise level rises

Why do some insist on 5000 watt stereo systems?

First, a hobby - something to do.

Second, a neat gimmick/party trick.

In Canada remote car starters are quite abundant.

Better include a remote start for the blower too....... or else you might just watch your boat blow up from afar.

Read the OP again, he makes mention of the blower remote....

I realize this is off topic, but I didn't realize the blower was all that important. I've never used it. :unsure:

wow, you better read up on it. search the internet for pictures of boats that have blown up at fuel docks. I was at a marina just have a ski nautique had blown up. the owner was found quite a distance away from the boat after the blast, and there was basically a few charred stringers and a hunk of metal that resembled and engine left.

Doesn't your boat have a sticker at the key or throttle reminding you to run the blower at least 4 minutes before the first start?

I realize this is off topic, but I didn't realize the blower was all that important. I've never used it. :unsure:

For what it's worth, around here rumour has it that after fill up is the absolute most important time, or if the boat has been sitting for a day or so. Why take a risk though. I more or less hit the blower as soon as I enter the boat, so by the time I want to start it's usually around 2-3 min.

I have actually seen a boat blow up from fumes. Well it was more like a fire...end result was still the same.

Hi I was wondering if anyone knows or thinks it would be possible to wire in a remote start to a marine (Indmar, mercruiser) engine?

I was thinking of wiring the door lock to turn on blower, then door unlock to turn off blower...with the start, starting the motor.

I'm sure it's possible & would be no more difficult than installing one in a car. Just find the right wires, so the "neutral safety switch " is utilized, so it won't start with the throttle anywhere but straight up. Some of the controls have window down/up features, so you could use them to turn on the stereo, etc.

Better include a remote start for the blower too....... or else you might just watch your boat blow up from afar.

Read the OP again, he makes mention of the blower remote....

Sorry, missed that part. Definitely would be a necessity.

I could understand it if you run your boat in cold climates. But in the summer? I usually have plenty of things to do on the boat for the 3 or 4 minutes we warm it up.

The chances of your motor blowing up from not using your blower are very slim. IMO you only need to use the blower after your boat has been sitting for a while without use, or just pretty much the first start of the day.

What if you shred an impeller and aren't there to see the temp gauge rising? Or lose an oil pump? I wouldn't want my boat running without someone in it to keep an eye on things. No.gif

It's a clever idea, but there's always stuff to do while waiting for the blowers. Load up towels, put boards in racks, select music of the day, undo dock lines, wait for everyone to stagger down the dock, etc. And that's from not having enough coffee, not from too much of other beverages! Biggrin.gif

The chances of your motor blowing up from not using your blower are very slim. IMO you only need to use the blower after your boat has been sitting for a while without use, or just pretty much the first start of the day.

I run my blower pretty much the whole time I am out. If the engine is running, the blower is on. Better safe. A $30 blower is much easier to replace than a $40K-$70K boat.

who cares how slim the chances are, if you have ever seen a person that has survived a serious burn accident, i guarantee you you'd use your blower more often.

I am with wedge88, our blower goes on a few minutes prior to first startup (along with raising the engine cover), and pretty much runs the whole time we are on the boat. And yes, in 8 seasons i have replaced my blower once.

Edited by jgouveia3

It would suck to gamble that & lose with your kids in the boat.

I only know 2 guys who have had a boat blow up or catch fire on them. One was a SeaRay, the other a Nautique. Neither were while fueling up. Damage on both was extreme. Injuries were minimal, but both guys were thrown into the water.

Just hope it doesn't happen to any of you. I'll run my blower & make sure it doesn't happen to me.

Back to the original thought in this thread...

I had thought about doing the same thing. Our boat is on a slip at a small marina. It's a little bit of a walk down to the boat, so I was thinking why not at least turn on the blower via remote before heading down and then auto starting it. I'm wanting to put an alarm on the boat anyway, so it's minimal cost or work. Here is one issue that keeps me from doing that.

Let's say I have pulled the boat for it's monthly cleaning, or whatever reason. If the kids/wife/me accidentally hit the start button while out of the water, we are talking serious $$$. I've had my car start while putting the key in my pocket and hitting the auto starter. Not a big deal in a car since it shuts off in 15 minutes and it's just gas that's being wasted. But in a boat, it will be the impeller first, followed by an overheated engine - possibly warped heads/manifolds, etc. It isn't worth the risk to me. I could rig up some type of failsafe to stop it from starting when out of the water, but I'd have to remember to activate that when I pull it off the water. I know me... I'd forget.

I'm with everyone else - I'll just do it by hand. That way I know the blower is on, and don't have to worry about it starting without me wanting it to.

Just my $.02

Back to the original thought in this thread...

I had thought about doing the same thing. Our boat is on a slip at a small marina. It's a little bit of a walk down to the boat, so I was thinking why not at least turn on the blower via remote before heading down and then auto starting it. I'm wanting to put an alarm on the boat anyway, so it's minimal cost or work. Here is one issue that keeps me from doing that.

Let's say I have pulled the boat for it's monthly cleaning, or whatever reason. If the kids/wife/me accidentally hit the start button while out of the water, we are talking serious $$$. I've had my car start while putting the key in my pocket and hitting the auto starter. Not a big deal in a car since it shuts off in 15 minutes and it's just gas that's being wasted. But in a boat, it will be the impeller first, followed by an overheated engine - possibly warped heads/manifolds, etc. It isn't worth the risk to me. I could rig up some type of failsafe to stop it from starting when out of the water, but I'd have to remember to activate that when I pull it off the water. I know me... I'd forget.

I'm with everyone else - I'll just do it by hand. That way I know the blower is on, and don't have to worry about it starting without me wanting it to.

Just my $.02

Great thought! I was thinking of having the starter wiring in serial with an accessory switch. The other thing is we turn our batteries off as soon our boat hits land.

But in all honesty the entire idea is more of a gimmick. I have two weeks of free time and I've always wanted to install one. There is no practical utility. Although I like the stereo idea someone mentioned. We commonly anchor the boat a few feet off shore from the beach. That would definitely be a cool setup.