Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Power Wedge Fuse Issue

I have an 06 LSV w/power-wedge (PW). When I launched this AM andctried to calibrate the power wedge (cycle it once full down and back up) I heard an odd sound and the PW switch/control became un-responsive. The PW was stuck in the full up position (not deployed).

I turned off the engine and replaced the fuse with my spare (yes I had one and was pumped!!). As I inserted the new fuse I saw a miniscule spark but kept seating the fuse into the holder. I tried the PW again and got nothing, looked at the newly replaced fuse and it was blown.

Couple of questions:

1) Has anyone had this experience and, if so, can you shed any light on this specific PW fuse issue? Do I need to insert the new fuse with the batteries off in addition to the engine being turned off, etc.?

2) If I am unable to resolve the fuse issue, can I manually deploy/control the PW?

Gerry Nunn is coming to run a clinic with us and we are using my boat this week (or are supposed to be) and I need my PW working!!!

Any help you all can provide would be MUCH appreciated!!!

I saw your post yesterday and feel really bad that this issue may jack-up your riding plans.

I know there's been several threads about the PW fuse blowing but, I tried to do a search for you yesterday and I just got too many hits to try to wade through them and find an actual thread that would shine some light for you. All I can suggest is that you use the search feature and see what you can come up with. At this point, it's your only hope. Good luck.

Not sure if your having the same issue, but I had this problem this past week. Used the wedge for the first time this year and it went down about 4" and then stopped. I found the fuse was blown. Put a new one in while key was off and turned it on and got moving 2-3mph and it moved up no problem. But when I tried moving it down again it hit the same spot and blew the fuse. Haven't got it to the dealer yet, but my guess is the actuators get jammed and it won't move and it blows the fuse. I have read rumors of water causing it to rust over the winter. Let us know what you find out from the dealer.

WildBill, thank you for the input, sounds like a reasonable cause for the blown fuses. I am waiting to get an appointment scheduled at the dealer to fix this. Will definitely keep you all posted.

G-Pac

**UPDATE**

Dealer has directed me to bring the boat to the shop next week. Apparently, failure of the the Power Wedge (PW) control arms is common on my year/model and they went so far as to say that mine have lasted longer than most. Apparently water gets into the arms and they fail as a result. The dealer also said that improvements have been made to the arms and they are better now (guess we will see about that) than when mine were made/installed.

I find this claim by my dealer (e.g., PW failure being a common issue) to be interesting for a couple of reasons: 1) The dealer claimed to search for Malibu "Service Bulletins" on this issue and found none; 2) Few, if any, TMC members have posted on this same technical/mechanical issue (only 99 views of this thread though).

I will keep you all posted and am curious to know if any other TMC members have had this same issue.

G-Pac

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update for anyone tracking this issue/thread-

It is not a fuse issue, the power wedge actuators have stopped working due to water intrusion.

I am told this is a common problem and that my actuators (2006 LSV) have lasted longer than most (we are at 240+ hours)

I asked if any improvements have been made to this part since they were originally installed and the dealer here did say that they have "fixed" this issue on the newer actuators.

I am really surprised to hear that this is such a common issue as I have been unable to find any previous posts on the subject here at TMC (searched Power Wedge Actuators came up with no direct hits).

Also, the parts are back ordered until late July, so we may have a working wedge again some time in August (huge bummer).

Hope this info is of use to others here.

Cheers-

G-Pac

Quick update for anyone tracking this issue/thread-

It is not a fuse issue, the power wedge actuators have stopped working due to water intrusion.

I am told this is a common problem and that my actuators (2006 LSV) have lasted longer than most (we are at 240+ hours)

I asked if any improvements have been made to this part since they were originally installed and the dealer here did say that they have "fixed" this issue on the newer actuators.

I am really surprised to hear that this is such a common issue as I have been unable to find any previous posts on the subject here at TMC (searched Power Wedge Actuators came up with no direct hits).

Also, the parts are back ordered until late July, so we may have a working wedge again some time in August (huge bummer).

Hope this info is of use to others here.

Cheers-

G-Pac

The Wedge on my LSV doesn't work either. I've got a service appointment on Monday. Do you know where the fuse is located? I'd like to check the obvious before hauling it to the dealer.

I'll report back either way next week.

If you look behind the dash panel and find the wedge rocker switch contact (back of switch, not sure what the proper name is), follow the wiring and there should be an in-line fuse holder/fuse. It is not hard to find, just a lot of wiring to sort through. I have gotten in the habit of carrying spare fuses and that practice has paid off.

Hope this helps!!

G-Pac

Edited by G-Pac
  • 8 years later...

I have this same problem with an 08' and I cannot find any inline fuses. Is it possible that the 08' only had the one fuse in the fuse box? Any other suggestions on where it may be?

On my 08 VLX there is a 30 amp fuse underneath dash.  Take off the cover and pull the 30amp fuse, then use volt meter to check for continuity since the fuse is not see thru. 

There is not an in line fuse for 08. There is either a 30 amp standard thermal fuse or a 15 amp resettable fuse (depending on when the boat was built) located in the control box under the helm.

Good luck. 

42 minutes ago, BearCreekBum said:

There is not an in line fuse for 08. There is either a 30 amp standard thermal fuse or a 15 amp resettable fuse (depending on when the boat was built) located in the control box under the helm.

Good luck. 

Okay yes I have the 30 amp then.  I did pull this out and ohm it out to make sure it is still good since you can't see if those fuses are bad