Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sampson Mirror

Lovetoski

For those who have the Sampson Mirror on your tower, do you remove it for long trailering rides? If you remove it, do you remove only the mirror or the arm too?

I don't trailer, but from what I've heard and read, taking the mirror on and off would be a problem. I guess seating the mirror on the ball isn't the easiest thing in the world, so I would take the whole arm off if you're going to remove it. That takes 2 minutes.

Edited by jshap

I got tired of removing it (the mirror) ......but it is a bug magnet! I took a stuff sack for an air matress, sewed in a liner (sleeve of a sweatshirt), and I slip it over the mirror before transporting. I tried it without the liner and it skuffed the mirror. Fixed that with a little steel wool. Then tried the liner thing and it has worked great for two seasons.

If you need a pic I can get some.

We're headed to Knoxville in the morning for this....http://www.knoxwake.com/xwakefest.html

We tow long distances and I always take it off so that it stays clean. I'll take it off at the end of the day when we're mooring just to put it under the boat cover (out of sight is out of mind). Takes 30 seconds to put it on again in the morning while the crew is getting the dock lines ready, wiping the boat down, etc.

We tow long distances and I always take it off so that it stays clean. I'll take it off at the end of the day when we're mooring just to put it under the boat cover (out of sight is out of mind). Takes 30 seconds to put it on again in the morning while the crew is getting the dock lines ready, wiping the boat down, etc.

You take just the mirror off or the whole arm? It seems like the screws could get stripped eventually on the arm if taken off too much?

You take just the mirror off or the whole arm? It seems like the screws could get stripped eventually on the arm if taken off too much?

I thought the same thing, but have had no problems with the threads stripping out. I take it off everytime now, even its a ten min. drive to the local lake.

I take off the whole arm. I haven't seen any problems with the threads. You might call Samson if you're concerned about durability and see what they have to say...

I take off the whole arm. I haven't seen any problems with the threads. You might call Samson if you're concerned about durability and see what they have to say...

You're more likely to crack the mirror taking it on and off the arm. Those CIPA Extreme middle mirrors are very fragile to torque on the housing, so watch out.

You're more likely to crack the mirror taking it on and off the arm. Those CIPA Extreme middle mirrors are very fragile to torque on the housing, so watch out.

Thanks for the heads-up. I hadn't noticed that because I always hold the mirror arm when attaching/removing the mirror.

I have a Fusion mirror arm on the Titan tower. Looks good, works fine. But I'd like to go with two mirrors again (had it on an old boat & loved it). And I keep the boat on an unsecured dock. The mirror is about the only thing that could be easily stolen. So I'm debating on going with a pair of windshield mounts like I had before. Very strong, easily fold down under the cover (out of sight, out of mind) & easy visibility of the entire wake.

I just leave it on while trailering, so far no problems. I do put a cover over the mirror while towing to keep the bugs off. I just check the mirror clamp before every trip to make sure it's always snug. Rockon.gif

• 3 months later...