Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel Jug/Hose?

jjct1

I have a normal 5 Gallon Gas Can from Home Depot I use to fill my Malibu. I see other people filling their boats with a 5 Gallon can that has a fuel hose. It looks some much easier to fill with. I beleive it is a racing fuel jug hose? Looks something like this:

31pSq83wQwL._SS400_.jpg

Where can I get this locally? Do autoparts stores sell them? Boat stores?

Edited by jjct1
I have a normal 5 Gallon Gas Can from Home Depot I use to fill my Malibu. I see other people filling their boats with a 5 Gallon can that has a fuel hose. It looks some much easier to fill with. I beleive it is a racing fuel jug hose? Looks something like this:

31pSq83wQwL._SS400_.jpg

Check your local motorcycle shop if you want the whole can and hose (I think it should be around 40 bucks).

Edited by LiQUiDSX

In California I had a very difficult time finding them, seems that they are "illegal". I eventually found a pair at a performance motorcycle shop and bought the last 2 they had. I'm sure you can find them online if you had to.

Here's a link to the hose on eBay, you can buy these separately and then attach them to the top of a fuel jug. For those, search "fuel jug" on eBay and pick a color.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vp-racing-j...sspagenameZWDVW

Or as you can see, a couple of PVC fittings and a hose rated for fuel and you can make it yourself.

Edited by jayjoans

I use these 12 gallon containers from Hunsaker Sports.

I modified the hose with a slightly larger tube and I can empty the 12-13 gallons in about 50 seconds. I use 2 of those and one modified 6 gallon can with a wider tube and vent. All 30 gallons go into the boat in less than 2 min...it's awesome.

11-gal-can.jpg 11 gallon (holds 13)

5_gallon_hose.jpg 5 gallon (holds 6)

FYI: We use a great little item called the Safety Siphon. Boat in the water/lift towel on the back of the boat, 5 gallon container on the towel. Slid one end of this safety siphon into the gas container the other end into the boat, move the hose up and down a few time and the gas starts flowing. Takes about 3-4 minutes. In the Midwest we can pick them up at any auto part store. I just looked on ebay they also have them. Their web site is safetysiphon.net. Good luck they work great.

31pSq83wQwL._SS400_.jpg

Check Joe's formerly GI Joes in Totem Lake. They have them for $20/25 and all different colors to match your bu.

I use these 12 gallon containers from Hunsaker Sports.

I modified the hose with a slightly larger tube and I can empty the 12-13 gallons in about 50 seconds. I use 2 of those and one modified 6 gallon can with a wider tube and vent. All 30 gallons go into the boat in less than 2 min...it's awesome.

11-gal-can.jpg 11 gallon (holds 13)

5_gallon_hose.jpg 5 gallon (holds 6)

A 100 lb. gas can Shocking.gif That would have to empty pretty darn fast for me or I'd be droppin it :)

It's not that bad. The handles are setup so that it's a balanced pour and it doesn't feel that heavy. It's not for everyone, but I don't find it super hard to lift and pour. You basically just tip it over, put the hose in and lift up the bottom part of the handle. Getting it in and out of my wagon is another story.

I looked into various racing jugs in the past, but at that time my fuel filler was on the opposite side of the dock. Ended up using a 1" hose that reached the dock so that I didn't have to carry cans over the boat to fill up.

On the fuel can side, I have a wooden 'plate' with rubber to act as a gasket. This fits against the opening of the can. Through the middle of the plate is a hole large enough for the hose. Also there is a much smaller hole for a 'blow tube'. Large hose goes through and into the can far enough to reach the bottom, small tube only goes in a little ways. Around both of them is duct putty and seals against the top of the plate. Put pressure on the plate to seal against can opening, blow into small tube, positive pressure starts the fuel flowing, pull the plate back slightly to allow air into the can, and all fuel flows into boat faster than filling the can at a gas station.

With this method--you don't have to:

switch caps or hoses on the can,

pop a vent cap during flow,

hold the can while it empties,

or spill one drop of fuel on the boat or in the lake.

31pSq83wQwL._SS400_.jpg

Those gas cans are popular with atv and dirt bike riders. I have a couple of them and they were both purchased at a local motorcycle gear store. The last one I got was from "Cycle Gear". The can was about $20 and the spout (ball valve included) was about $30. They are spendy, however they are much quicker and easier to use than those crappy "safe handling ones".

Just my opinion: but I have seen more unsafe and hazardous spills by people using the California approved "safe handling nozzled" type ones than any other?

In California I had a very difficult time finding them, seems that they are "illegal". I eventually found a pair at a performance motorcycle shop and bought the last 2 they had. I'm sure you can find them online if you had to.

Here's a link to the hose on eBay, you can buy these separately and then attach them to the top of a fuel jug. For those, search "fuel jug" on eBay and pick a color.

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vp-racing-j...sspagenameZWDVW" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vp-racing-j...sspagenameZWDVW</a>

Or as you can see, a couple of PVC fittings and a hose rated for fuel and you can make it yourself.

Being in California, I did some research on this type of container (in the OP) a couple years ago. They cannot be sold as "gasoline" containers...so they are sold as "water" containers. Racing shops and motorcycle shops still carry and sell them under the "Water" container moniker. The reason (I was told) that they cannot be sold for gasoline transportation purposes is that they are designed to stand on end (vertically), so they are prone to tip over. Actual gasoline containers have a larger center of gravity at the base of the container...with the spout at the top. The Hunsakers shown below are designed to sit horizontally, or with a lower center of gravity like the plump looking one.

Check Joe's formerly GI Joes in Totem Lake. They have them for $20/25 and all different colors to match your bu.
Thanks, that is not far from me.

I got my cans at GI Joe's, but instead of paying $15 for each spout (the cans cost $30), I went to Home Depot, bought the tubing (I'm pretty sure it's 3/4 inch, hose fittings (they're male inset to male threaded), and caps and just put them together myself. They are identical to the one that I bought at regular price, except that I made them a little longer. It cost me about $2 for each spout (I have 5 cans). I don't spill a drop (we'll maybe a drop or 2). :)

31pSq83wQwL._SS400_.jpg

I got all of mine at the local Go- Kart shop a few years back. They use them for Kart racing.

I got my cans at GI Joe's, but instead of paying $15 for each spout (the cans cost $30), I went to Home Depot, bought the tubing (I'm pretty sure it's 3/4 inch, hose fittings (they're male inset to male threaded), and caps and just put them together myself. They are identical to the one that I bought at regular price, except that I made them a little longer. It cost me about $2 for each spout (I have 5 cans). I don't spill a drop (we'll maybe a drop or 2). :)

I went to Joe's but instead of buying the can for $30 + $7.99 for spout, I just bought the spout $7.99 and an extra spout for my normal gas can $2.99. I am going to cut the top of the gas can spout off and try to mount the flexible one on it. The jug they had only has one handle which is kinda awkward. Only other problem is looking at it, I think the top of the flexible spout is too big of diamater for my Malibu gas tank? It has a big screw top on it.