Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Difference between 98 Response LX and Sportster LX?????

newbie bu

New to Malibu and crew.com. Can anyone help me understand the differences between the Sportster LX and Response LX for model years between 1998 and 2000? Trying to understand what adds up to about $3000 dollars difference in NADA value for similar year models. Appreciate it.

New to Malibu and crew.com. Can anyone help me understand the differences between the Sportster LX and Response LX for model years between 1998 and 2000? Trying to understand what adds up to about $3000 dollars difference in NADA value for similar year models. Appreciate it.

I believe they eventually took the LX off the sportster name. I had a Sportster. Wasn't as many bells and whistles on it. Nice basic boat. I later added perfect pass though. The Response was a little wider and usually had perfect pass on it. It could very well have other high end options added to it to.

Sportster -Basic. Response - More bells and whistles.

Plus1.gif

also has slightly higher freeboard. i ski regularly behind my '00 response and a friends '00 sportster. they are very similar in many ways, but also very different. his is a better barefoot boat, i prefer my response for slalom. the sportster is not bad for slalom, just different (hard for me to explain).

the response is a bit more "frills", but the sportster is still a great boat.

Response and Response LX are 90" wide. Sportster and Sportster LX are 86" wide.

Sportster is narrower and less freeboard (depth).

LX models of both are "open bow".

1998 Response and LX ride on the Diamond Hull. I don't think the Sportster has the Diamond in the 1998 ~ 2000 era.

Response is listed at 2450 pounds.... I recall the Sportster is 2250 pounds.

1998 Response and LX ride on the Diamond Hull. I don't think the Sportster has the Diamond in the 1998 ~ 2000 era.

Above is what I recall as well.

Pre 98, the Response rode on the non diamond hull. The Sportster was introduced in 98 and has always rode on the non-diamond sv23 and in 98 and up the Response was built on the sv23 diamond. The major diff that I see between the diamond vs non is the reverse outer chines to the rear of the hull on the diamond that are not on the non-diamond. Essentially, as I understand it, the diamond creates a little more lift in the rear of the hull geared more toward skiing.

I also believe that the pre 99 Response did not have a transom storage compartment and 99 up did. I believe in 98 and up both Response and Sportster were available in the non open (non LX) and open (LX) playpen style.

Edited by Superdave

I have owned both boats... A 99 Sporty and an 01 Response LX.

Are there specific questions you have? I'd be happy to help/give opinions.

The price difference was there when the boats were new, too. It is not that one has held it's value better than the other. The RLX has always been a 2nd tier boat while the Sporty was the entry level machine.

Terry,

The response lx 98 + has the sv23 Diamond hull vs the sportster lx has the sv23 wake hull. The diamond hull creates more lift for a better slalom wake. The wake hull will sink more when weighted for a better wakeboard wake. The interior is quite a bit nicer on the response, thicker vinyl, thicker foam, and more up to date, gunnel storage, often came with a monsoon motor (325 hp efi), and a rear trunk starting in 1999. The sporty has less room, no gunnel storage, no rear trunk and usually has the 310 hp carb. Compare the pics from the attached listings and you will see the differences.

<a href="http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1999-Mal...ter-LX-92857650" target="_blank">http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1999-Mal...ter-LX-92857650</a>

Response lx

Edited by Brodie

Above is what I recall as well.

Pre 98, the Response rode on the non diamond hull. The Sportster was introduced in 98 and has always rode on the non-diamond sv23 and in 98 and up the Response was built on the sv23 diamond. The major diff that I see between the diamond vs non is the reverse outer chines to the rear of the hull on the diamond that are not on the non-diamond. Essentially, as I understand it, the diamond creates a little more lift in the rear of the hull geared more toward skiing.

I also believe that the pre 99 Response did not have a transom storage compartment and 99 up did. I believe in 98 and up both Response and Sportster were available in the non open (non LX) and open (LX) playpen style.

Thanks for all the responses. Yes, what I was looking for was detailed adders that raised the price of the boat. I understand that it was entry level vs second tier. But were there better vinyls or carpet upgrades, shower additions, wedge addition, more hand rails, stereo changes, gauges upgrades, engine upgrades, etc. I don't want to spend a ton on a ski boat, just trying to figure out if the Response upgrades are worth the additional used retail that they appear to command. Thanks!

IMO, having the nicer seats, more width, and more storage is worth the price. Having had boats with and without the rear trunk, I definately want the rear trunk. Otherwise where do you put anything? especially if you have an open bow. Having the gunnel storage is nice too.

BTW, in 98, the response and the sportster had similar vinyl, but in 99, the response got the interior overhaul that is still used today, whereas the sportster interior stayed the same.

Edited by Brodie

Now it is time to find out what you want to do with the boat.

Are you looking for a slalom machine? A barefoot boat? Wakeboard boat?

Let us know what your primary use will be and we can help you make a better informed decision. The width is nice, but the true test will be what you want to do with the boat.

Now it is time to find out what you want to do with the boat.

Are you looking for a slalom machine? A barefoot boat? Wakeboard boat?

Let us know what your primary use will be and we can help you make a better informed decision. The width is nice, but the true test will be what you want to do with the boat.

I would like to say we do one specific thing but thats not the case. We have 2 young boys that are learning to waterski and my wife skis and I wakeboard. None of us are considered experts, but I want something that will be easier to drive to teach the boys than my Sea Ray that has trouble staying on plane at 20 mph, plus speed is really difficult to dial in when you are fighting falling and rising above the plane line. With the young kids the higher gunnel would be nice. Thanks for all the great input.

Based on your last reply, I suggest the Response should be your pick. Sure, it's a bit more $$$, but is a bit more multi-purpose. Had you mentioned footing.... then the Sporty would have the edge.

You will appreciate the deeper hull (safety) as well as the walk-about space in the Response. Get 4 people in a Sporty with boards and gear.... gets real cramped. I think you would be considering a trade-up in a very short time.

My vote.... based on your usage = Response.

Based on your last reply, I suggest the Response should be your pick. Sure, it's a bit more $$$, but is a bit more multi-purpose. Had you mentioned footing.... then the Sporty would have the edge.

You will appreciate the deeper hull (safety) as well as the walk-about space in the Response. Get 4 people in a Sporty with boards and gear.... gets real cramped. I think you would be considering a trade-up in a very short time.

My vote.... based on your usage = Response.

Agreed, with a caveat. What is your budget? I personally feel that there's a better boat for your needs, but the budget question needs to be answered first.

Agreed, with a caveat. What is your budget? I personally feel that there's a better boat for your needs, but the budget question needs to be answered first.

Honey-bee? Thumbup.gif

Or see:

<----- :)

Edited by UWSkier
:lol: Honey bee indeed. Actually I was going for the SLXI, but any of those 3 would be a great crossover boat for the OP. (And for those that don't get the reference, I'm talking about a Sunsetter LX/Wakesetter direct drive.)
:lol: Honey bee indeed. Actually I was going for the SLXI, but any of those 3 would be a great crossover boat for the OP. (And for those that don't get the reference, I'm talking about a Sunsetter LX/Wakesetter direct drive.)

Ok, now the question is...what's a Honeybee? My budget would be $15k or so. Love the Sunsetter, but haven't seen any near my price range. Thanks for all the great info.

He's referring to my last boat. It was bright yellow with a black tower & black accents, & we affectionately referred to it as the Honey Bee. Biggrin.gif The Honey Bee was a Wakesetter direct drive (2002-2004, ours was a 2004), which is basically the same boat as the Sunsetter LX (1995-1999), Sunkicker (2000-2001), & currently the I-Ride (2005-current). There were minor changes over the years, but the hull is the same back to 1995. You can buy one of those in the mid to upper teens in nice shape if you're patient & watch out for them. The LXI will command a higher value, so the LX would probably be a better choice if you want to stay in that budget.

...My budget would be $15k or so...

I haven't shopped Response LX's...can you get a clean one (98 or newer) for ~$15k? You can get a clean Sporty for that. I'd sell you my 2000 for just a little bit more than that. Biggrin.gif

Where are you located?

...My budget would be $15k or so...

I haven't shopped Response LX's...can you get a clean one (98 or newer) for ~$15k? You can get a clean Sporty for that. I'd sell you my 2000 for just a little bit more than that. Biggrin.gif

Where are you located?

98 RLX's I have looked at are around $15K, Sporty's are less than that in that year. I have only looked at one Sporty newer and that was a 2002 with tower for $19K.

We are in North Dakota.