Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Change of impeller on LSV/Monsoon...need help.

Hey Folks,

Been quite a while since I've posted on this board but I really need help. I have an '05 LSV with a Monsoon and need to change the impeller. I know where it is, I just can't figure out how in the heck to get to it. For you folks with a Monsoon/LSV, do you remove the Silent Rider Muffler or do you have a magical Leprechaun that does it for you???

Seems like you have to do the job in the blind. I can't even see what size shape the bolts are to try and get the face plate off.

Help please!!!

Chad

Those screws are slotted & can be removed with a slotted screwdriver....... a really short one. Get yourself a small mirror if you don't like working blind.

Using the site search tool will give you lots of threads on how people have done this. Here is a recent thread where I outlined how I did it.

Good luck & welcome back.

You can lay on top of the engine and/or access most of it from the port side. They are 3/8" (I think) brass (be careful) bolts with a flathead slit also. They should be hand tight ONLY, so if you can get a flathead on (even blindly) it should come right off.

Pay CLOSE attention to the orientation of the housing and gasket. They ONLY go on one way and to get the gasket on incorrectly could prove problematic in the future.

All in all, I replaced mine in < 15 min without too much difficulty. Just be sure the gasket and housing are correctly. Seems like mine, the INDMAR writing was upside down when I reistalled.

Hope this helps,

Chad,

It takes a bit of work but here is how I do it. I take the two side panels off on the passenger side of the engine compartment. The large panel is easy to remove and the smaller one has two screws, one on the top, and the other, a very small black one on the bottom. To access the four bolts that hold the cover on, I use a 1/4" drive ratchet with a 5/16" socket. You can, and may need a wrench for the top bolt. It all depends on how close the muffler is to the cover. For the most part, I am laying down in the storage compartment to access this and see what I am doing. Once the four bolts are off, I use a puller to remove the impeller. I have tried a couple of other ways to get the impeller out but I find there just is not enough space to get the leverage needed to pull it out and I don't want to damage the gasket surface on the pump.

To install, just reverse the steps. Use the lubricant that comes with the new impeller and it slides in pretty easily. Tighten the four screws and while the engine panels are off, I check all my hose clamps and other nuts and bolts to make sure they are tight.

Good luck,

Jim

Its easy to change.

Straddle the motor by the transmission and lay on the plenum. Loosen the 4 bolts get two short screwdrivers down there and pry it out. Reassemble and you're done.

20 minutes tops!

-Chris

I think you have to be a midget to do it, I can only get 1 arm in there and it's all be feel as I can't see it when my 1 hand is on the housing. I can't get 2 hands on it and thats when I take the hatch off, I take the engine compartment sides off, I lay on the motor, upside down in the trunk, on the swim deck. I hate it, my impeller will see 2 summers from now on.

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try tonight and see what happens...anyone have a hoist that will lift a fat guy out of a motor compartment????

Chad,

It takes a bit of work but here is how I do it. I take the two side panels off on the passenger side of the engine compartment. The large panel is easy to remove and the smaller one has two screws, one on the top, and the other, a very small black one on the bottom. To access the four bolts that hold the cover on, I use a 1/4" drive ratchet with a 5/16" socket. You can, and may need a wrench for the top bolt. It all depends on how close the muffler is to the cover. For the most part, I am laying down in the storage compartment to access this and see what I am doing. Once the four bolts are off, I use a puller to remove the impeller. I have tried a couple of other ways to get the impeller out but I find there just is not enough space to get the leverage needed to pull it out and I don't want to damage the gasket surface on the pump.

To install, just reverse the steps. Use the lubricant that comes with the new impeller and it slides in pretty easily. Tighten the four screws and while the engine panels are off, I check all my hose clamps and other nuts and bolts to make sure they are tight.

Good luck,

Jim

Plus1.gif

Jim's way is exactly how I do mine, but I never really considered it "a bit of work." More

like 10-15 minutes tops. But then again, I'm only 5' 7" and a buck fifty. Once the side

panels are removed from that port-side locker, I can lie down with my head resting

against the transom and pretty much see and do whatever I need to to get the job done.

Just find someone a little vertically challenged and offer them a tow in exchange for a

little favor. Thumbup.gif

Well, I just got my fat butt in there and I was able to get the face plate off but I've been using every dirty word I can think of to try and get that darn impeller out. I've got a skinny buddy on his way...maybe he can get it.

Thanks for all the info guys!

I take a pair of SMALL vice-grips and grab the base of the impeller blade (closest to the center spool) and just work it out. My buddy had to undo the bolt on the right of the housing that attached it to the bracket itself...therefore you can rotate/counter-rotate just a bit and it should come right out.

Best of luck,

Well, I just got my fat butt in there and I was able to get the face plate off but I've been using every dirty word I can think of to try and get that darn impeller out. I've got a skinny buddy on his way...maybe he can get it.

Sea Dog impeller puller. A one time $40 investment, give or take. Well worth it, IMHO, for all

the time and "every dirty word" you will save.

Finally got it done! I didn't have an impeller puller...but I will for future repairs. Was really a pain but glad I did it myself. Thanks to you folks for helping out!

Chad