Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1997 Sunsetter questions

tuckryan

I have been searching for a MC205, Sport Nauti or a Bu Sunsetter for a while now and ran across a sunsetter. Took it to the lake and it seemed to run really well. There is a 2 year old engine in it as the block cracked.

I have a few concerns with the boat, the first is that it is in a slip during the summer (garage in winter) and seems to have oxidized fairly heavily. Is this reversible? Also, when I tried to turn the prop by hand it seemed pretty stiff and so did the steering. How easy should the prop turn? Also would you think the steering cable would be difficult to replace?

The boat is priced right, I am just scared to get into something that I would have to have a lot of work done. I am going to take it to a mechanic to have it checked out but always appreciate the collective knowledge on these boards! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the site!

...It is in a slip during the summer (garage in winter) and seems to have oxidized fairly heavily. Is this reversible?

As long as the gelcoat underneath is in good condition, this is reversible. Most likely the boat will need to be wet-sanded to completely restore the finish, but there is enough gelcoat to do that a half dozen times over the life of a boat.

Also, when I tried to turn the prop by hand it seemed pretty stiff...

This is normal. Out of the water the strut bushing is not lubricated, which makes the shaft difficult to spin.

and so did the steering. Also would you think the steering cable would be difficult to replace?

Most likely, on that age boat, the steering cable needs to be replaced. Do a search, this topic is regularly covered. Plan on it taking and afternoon and you should be fine.

I am going to take it to a mechanic to have it checked out...

This is absolutely essential. If the boat checks out it will provide years of great service with only regular maintenance.

Let us know what you decide to do!

Skicrave,

Thanks so much for the info! I have been lurking around here for a while now. Great info on the boards. I also check out the Nautique and MC forums as I really am not biased toward any particular brand. I think they are all top notch and all have their respective benefits/pitfalls. The boat really did run great, the 320 hp monsoon was pretty impressive. I don't know whether I should consider a new engine a few years ago a positive or not. The total boat hours reads 460 and I imagine there are about 100 hours on the new engine. I am really torn as the price is really great but the boat will need a thorough cleaning for sure. Thanks again buddy!

I can see your point, but would a new engine possible mean the boat was neglected in other ways? The boat has to have a new steering cable, wet sanded and there were some nicks in the upholstery that I would need to work on. Decisions decisions! Thanks for the help

Skicrave,

Thanks so much for the info! I have been lurking around here for a while now. Great info on the boards. I also check out the Nautique and MC forums as I really am not biased toward any particular brand. I think they are all top notch and all have their respective benefits/pitfalls. The boat really did run great, the 320 hp monsoon was pretty impressive. I don't know whether I should consider a new engine a few years ago a positive or not. The total boat hours reads 460 and I imagine there are about 100 hours on the new engine. I am really torn as the price is really great but the boat will need a thorough cleaning for sure. Thanks again buddy!

We are a pretty helpful group in deciding if its a good deal or not as well. :)

I just sold my 97 sunsetter lx for 18k it had, wedge, autofill lockersack ballast, skylon tuna tower, big 3 amp stereo and super bright like new white/black interior, gelcoat was somewhat faded but look pretty good waxed, and it had 720 hrs on it, just for a reference.

I just did the steering cable in my '96 last summer- not a bad job. I could have gotten the cable cheaper, but I needed it NOW, and the dealer had it in stock. A buddy gave me a hand and it only took us a couple hours to get it done. No big deal. We disconnected the rudder and it was still hard to steer, so that points to a bad cable. I'm not sure if the 97's have a rotary helm, or not, but if it does, I think if I were to do it again, I'd spend a few extra bucks and upgrade to a rack-and-pinion unit. I seem to remember that when I did some shopping after the fact, I found that it wasn't much more expensive to buy a whole new rack-and-pinion helm and cable than it was to buy a rotary cable. BICBW.

My previous boat was a 97 Sunsetter LX. Fantastic boat, and I didn't even have the monsoon. The steering is rack and pinion, and it is not too difficult to do. I was able to do it by myself in a couple of hours. If you have a Fish Tape reel it makes it pretty easy as the hardest part is getting it from the engine bay up to the dash area. Oh, and skicrave is absolutely right on the difficult turning of the shaft. I learned the same lesson with that boat. If it turns well in the water it is all good.

As for the gel coat, I also had the same issue when I bought mine. Left out in the sun way too long. I spent a day going through all the different polishing steps which can be done (fiberglass restorer, then polish, then wax). Came out looking like new.

From what you are describing, the amount of work you would have to do is minimal for a good deal.