Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rear Main Oil Seal Leaking

So I went out this weekend and I noticed that there was oil in the bilge everywhere. Cry.gif I took it to the dealer and they found that the rear main seal is bad, and it will take 2 weeks to fix it. I assume that there is too much end play in the crank, or maybe a bad seal but .........

Is there something else that could have caused this ?

Should I be worried about future problems ?

Is this very common? I searched the forum and didnt really see much on the subject.

The motor is the 340 monsoon with 83 hours.

TIA

Sorry to hear that!!!!! On other motors that I've had besides marine application this has happened to me twice. Just bad luck I think. You should be fine after it being replaced.

Sorry to hear that!!!!! On other motors that I've had besides marine application this has happened to me twice. Just bad luck I think. You should be fine after it being replaced.

Thanks, I was just talking to with my dad and he seems to think the same thing.

Edited by BB LSV
Yeah,

With that low hours on a one year old boat I'd say just bad luck.

Thanks Pete........ any suggestions on how to clean the mess up when she comes back home?

Start with paper towels and get as much as you can then, lots of simple green. Buy it by the gallon at Orchard Supply.

If the dealer doesn't clean up the mess for you. I would talk to them and see if you could have the boat while the motor is out.

From experience in my last boat it is alot easier to clean with the motor out. Whistling.gif

Castrol Superclean works great for getting the oil up too! Thumbup.gif

WES

I'd check with the dealer and see if they have a loaner boat for you to use at least for the weekends. I've heard of dealers that will do this especially after a warrantied catastrofic failure.

If the dealer doesn't clean up the mess for you. I would talk to them and see if you could have the boat while the motor is out.

From experience in my last boat it is alot easier to clean with the motor out. Whistling.gif

Castrol Superclean works great for getting the oil up too! Thumbup.gif

WES

Good idea, I'm going to call them when the open today. They are a great dealer and I am sure we can work something out. Thanks Thumbup.gif

I'd check with the dealer and see if they have a loaner boat for you to use at least for the weekends. I've heard of dealers that will do this especially after a warrantied catastrofic failure.

That would be awesome Rockon.gif I will ask about that as well, as long as she comes home before the 4th I would be happy.

Start with paper towels and get as much as you can then, lots of simple green. Buy it by the gallon at Orchard Supply.

Simple green always worked well on the karts, I will try that. Thanks Pete

One other thing I thought of (just in case the dealer doesn't think of this) is you want to verify that the PCV system/valve is clear. If it gets clogged, it will pressurize the crank case and that could have led to the leak.

One other thing I thought of (just in case the dealer doesn't think of this) is you want to verify that the PCV system/valve is clear. If it gets clogged, it will pressurize the crank case and that could have led to the leak.

Thanks, I will talk to him about it tomorrow, going to stop by there on the way home.

• 4 weeks later...

Pete,

I got the boat back and everything seemed fine. I talked to them about the pvc system and they said everything was good to go.

About a week later, last Saturday out on the water on of the hoses coming off the water pump going to the manifold split down the middle and begin to make a valid attempt at flooding the boat. Would this have anything to do with this system you are talking about? Or is it just a bad hose?

TIA

Pete,

I got the boat back and everything seemed fine. I talked to them about the pvc system and they said everything was good to go.

About a week later, last Saturday out on the water on of the hoses coming off the water pump going to the manifold split down the middle and begin to make a valid attempt at flooding the boat. Would this have anything to do with this system you are talking about? Or is it just a bad hose?

TIA

Nope, that would just be a bad hose. The PCV valve is usually in line with one of the hoses attached up at the valve covers (many times in the end of the hose).

Correct,

PCV stands for Positive Crankcase Ventilation. It has to do with the engine re-consuming blow-by gasses that get past the pistons. The PCV system and the cooling system have nothing in common. Too bad on the timing of that hose rupture. Do you have a shut off valve at the raw water intake?

• 2 months later...
Cry.gif Its leaking again........... At least I think its the rear main seal again. There is oil in the bilge, and it is consuming oil still. I am going to take it to the dealer in the morning, any ideas why it would be leaking oil still??
Repeated rear main seal leaks could be caused by blow-by. If the crankcase is pressurized it will push the oil out somewhere.

I guess my next question would be, whats causing the crankcase to pressurize ?

Edited by BB LSV

It's only a guess. Don't beat them up about it. It's very simple to check if the valve is clear and I'm pretty sure they did that especially if they said they did. No matter what the cause of this new leak is, wouldn't this be covered under their repair warranty?

You are correct, it is still under warranty. I am still not very happy that it is dumping oil in the bilge and getting every where and would like them to solve the problem this time. As long as they find the problem I will be fine. Just worries me a bit thats all, and I hope that something major isnt wrong.

Luckly my dealer is great and have been good about any problems that I have had and quick to fix them, I am sure that they will fix it in the end.

Maybe this is just a ploy to get me to pull the trigger on that new 247 I want Biggrin.gif