Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wake Surfing

Jackfishlake

Does anyone know how to dial in the perfect surf wake behind a 2007 Malibu VLX. Regular Stance. It seems I've tried everything. Some days it works, others it doesn't.

Does anyone know how to dial in the perfect surf wake behind a 2007 Malibu VLX. Regular Stance. It seems I've tried everything. Some days it works, others it doesn't.

It's all about weight. I ride regular, port side. I have 3 700 lb bags one in the rear, one on the port passenger seats (if no on in there), and a 1/2 filled bag up front. I have all ballast compartments full except stern. I do use wedge part way, but I am thinking of trying without it this year. I have a theory it ruins some of the line....

It important that everyone, and I MEAN everyone is on port side (in my setup)...even moving the driver over helps too (i am partly kidding...key word being partly) Whistling.gif

If you can't get a wake, then you're going the wrong speed. I find around 10.5 or so +/- 0.6. However this to me gives me an optimal wake everytime.

oh there is more more trick, turn with a slight angle to port...so if you had a huge open body of watre you'd be going in a wide radius turn continaully to port.

It's all about weight. I ride regular, port side. I have 3 700 lb bags one in the rear, one on the port passenger seats (if no on in there), and a 1/2 filled bag up front. I have all ballast compartments full except stern. I do use wedge part way, but I am thinking of trying without it this year. I have a theory it ruins some of the line....

It important that everyone, and I MEAN everyone is on port side (in my setup)...even moving the driver over helps too (i am partly kidding...key word being partly) Whistling.gif

If you can't get a wake, then you're going the wrong speed. I find around 10.5 or so +/- 0.6. However this to me gives me an optimal wake everytime.

oh there is more more trick, turn with a slight angle to port...so if you had a huge open body of watre you'd be going in a wide radius turn continaully to port.

Plus1.gif don't forget to fill the gas tank I notice a big difference between full and 1/4 tank I know its expensive ballast but it is ballast.

Copied from another thread....

Front MLS full - 350 lbs

Center MLS full - 500 lbs

Surf side rear MLS full - 200 lbs

Sack on top of rear tank - 500ish lbs

Sack on surf side seat in cabin - 400ish lbs (VAB works too :))

Off side rear MLS empty

Wedge down

Speed 10.2-10.4, depending on conditions

Get everyone on the surf side of the boat, muy importante! The more people that you have the fewer extra sacks that you need, but the one extra that I'd keep regardless would be the one on top of the rear tank in the locker.

The comment about water depth is a good one. I had never seen it change first hand behind any of our boats until this past weekend, but I'm here to say that it is an absolute fact. Anything above 8-10 feet of water & you'll probably not notice a difference. But once you start dropping below that threshold, you can literally see the wake drop in size. At about 5-6' of water depth it was visually smaller, & we hit an area that was about 3.5-4 feet of depth & the wake all but disappeared. My son fell out of the wave because it dropped to ankle high. Anyway, just something to remember.

That weight setup will give you this, add a 250-350 lb bag up in the bow on the surf side & it gets better (longer). The other side looks nearly identical with this weight setup, I just don't have any decent pictures since we're all goofy (footed): Biggrin.gif

med_gallery_1_153_83565.jpg

Jackfishlake, Are you located in Alberta/ Canada? If so we are on that lake a tonnnnn! We should hook up one night and i will show you our surf set-up, nothing spectacular like some of the fellow peeps on hear but it can keep my 190lbs a** afloat ropeless. PM and i'll send you my number, cheers.

This is the first I have heard of water depth affecting wake size.

Does this also imply that the best slalom wakes will be in water nore shallow than 8'?

What position when using a Power Wedge?

I've heard that full down is cleanest, but you should be able to play with it to find what's best for your boat.

This is the first I have heard of water depth affecting wake size.

Does this also imply that the best slalom wakes will be in water nore shallow than 8'?

It could be, but you're already traveling at a good rate of speed so the effect would be less dramatic I would think. Baumer or someone else that regularly uses their ski boat on both private ski lakes as well as public lakes could probably comment more intelligently on that.