Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

08 VTX with or without BBow Ballast

dusty1414

We are looking at buy an 08 vtx. This boat doesn't have the bow ballast tank option, the dealer said he could add the bow ballast. Would this be the same MLS hardtank setup ballast tank or would it be an aftermarket Sac. Can dealers even do that, or does it have to be done at the factory?

Ours was done at the dealership and works great even with the Ballast Monitoring System. They use two pumps, one for fill and the other to drain. There's no need to wait for one from the factory.

It depends on the model, but on the VTX, it's no problem to add the bow tank after the fact.

so out of curiosity(and a good resource for the crew) what boats can/can't be added at the dealership?

We are looking at buy an 08 vtx. This boat doesn't have the bow ballast tank option, the dealer said he could add the bow ballast. Would this be the same MLS hardtank setup ballast tank or would it be an aftermarket Sac. Can dealers even do that, or does it have to be done at the factory?

I too have an 08 VTX with no bow ballast. I think it's only 250lb and dont know how much you'd really gain for the money. My buddy has the bow ballast and the power wedge, which i opted out of. I cant tell a difference with all of his tanks full and the wedge up compared to mine. I've got a couple of buddies that can sit up front if I need the extra wait. Of course, we usually ski my boat and board his because of the wedge.

Edited by bsoss

I don't like the bow ballast because everyone that goes out with me likes to have a place for their legs, rather than a play pen.