Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

500 year ski lake

UWSkier

We've heard the ordeal here in the midwest referred to as the 500 year flood. Well, here's a little silver lining for you. My little sister sent me these pictures. This is from a farm near Madison that's owned by the family of one of the former UW waterski team members. With all the storms, they had a huge area of this hay field get flooded to the point where you could easily run a ski boat. Most of their hay crop in this field is destroyed obviously, but the skiing is great. It's actually an area about twice the size of a normal man-made ski lake. I guess the only catch is if you drop in a shallower spot, the hay makes you really itchy. Pretty cool though! It's obviously only going to be skiable for a few more days unless we get more rain, but I'm sure it's fun while it lasts! :)

post-25-1213808102_thumb.jpg

post-25-1213808111_thumb.jpg

They call it the 500 year flood here too. The only problem with that is that we had another one reaching the same level just 15 years ago! Our "marina" is about to be sucked down the river :(

Even if the water recedes, I'm probably shut down for most of the season. I'm not sure I want to go back in anytime soon with all of the flooded sewage treatment plants and hog farms that have become part of the mix. Not to mention all the farming chemicals etc. :(

Looking on the bright side: My boat still contains the $3 gas I put in it when I winterized last year! :) I'm sure that'll come in handy when I vacation with the boat to an acceptable location.

interesting, do they ski the river when it is not flooding? Any concern about E.coli?

It's not a river. That's all pooled rain water. And the field is a hay field so they don't spread a ton of nasty junk on it. It'd be like a puddle in your front yard.

interesting, do they ski the river when it is not flooding? Any concern about E.coli?

It's not a river. That's all pooled rain water. And the field is a hay field so they don't spread a ton of nasty junk on it. It'd be like a puddle in your front yard.

In Walkerton Ontario, at least 7 people died and hundreds got sick (from e.coli) when cow manure got into the town's water supply during a flood and the caretakers failed to ensure there was enough chlorine in the system to kill it. That was within the last 10 years. I am just thinking there might have been cow manure spread on the hay field thats all.

...I am just thinking there might have been cow manure spread on the hay field....

By the looks of his avatar, there's no BS... Whistling.gif