Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Radius Handle Ski Ropes

nemalibu

Do radius handle ski ropes really make a difference?

I also see a wide range of prices for ski ropes. Are the expensive ones really better? If so, in what way?

Do radius handle ski ropes really make a difference?

I also see a wide range of prices for ski ropes. Are the expensive ones really better? If so, in what way?

I am a FIRM believer in you get what you pay for. Buy cheap, you get cheap.

My Cousins wakeboard and they love the radius handles.

Yes, and yes. I like the radius because it tends to put your wrists in a more natural position. Stick your hands out in front of you once and make a baseball style grip. If you keep your wrists straight, your first knuckles on your fingers make a natural arc since your shoulders are wider than your grip. It also makes for a more natural wrist position when you're making your 1 armed reach while slalom skiing. Releasing the handle with one hand makes the handle naturally go straight in your remaining hand as you're reaching.

As for quality, you get what you pay for. Don't break the bank, but stay away from the ultra cheapies too if you plan on the thing lasting a while.

The radius handles are nice, but I prefer a thicker diameter (1" +) and a wider handle (13"). There aren't many variations of the radius handle, and the ones I have seen are thinner diameter and 12" wide. If you have smaller hands, or don't ski real aggressively, the radius might be more comfortable.

Edit, now that I look at the Masterline Website, I see that you can get a Radius handle in various widths and thickness'. A custom radius would be really nice, but expensive.

Edited by Brodie

It's a personal preference thing. I used one two years ago and immediately bought one. I love it. Everyone else that I ski with doesn't like it, so they use another handle. Only get equipment from well-established vendors. As others have said, many times the ripoffs are just that - poor quality junk.

I have a buddy who insists on the radius handles & spears the wrist position does him a lot of good.

I like the wider handles, 15" or 16" wide, so there is more handle to regrab. It's all preference & what your doing with it.

I never thought I would like a radius handle, that is until I tried one. I can't put my finger on exactly why I like it better, it just feels better. My hands are in a more natural position (which prevents them from tiring too quickly) and when I'm grabbing the handle and pulling it in to my hip (after a turn), my hand seems to naturally be in the correct position. But like another poster said, try one....if you don't like it, go back to a straight one. Slalom skiing a very personal sport, what my work for someone else, may not work for you.

Ski Hard Clap.gif

I alternate back and forth between a straight and a radius of the same diameter (sometimes in the same day) to move the stresses around. I believe it's what keeps me from incurring any injury or soreness in the forearm/elbow area that I hear other people talk about.

Hhhhmmm. That's an interesting thought, Bill. Might have to try that.

That is a great idea, GT as my forearms are aching using my partners straight handle, as my radius was one of items stolen. I miss it and will get another for sure. Moving the stress around makes perfect sense.

I used to get achy forearms before switching to the HO Clutch gloves with some SL liners. I hated clinchers and loved my SL Kevvies but didn't like how my forearms would tire so much on the long days. Clutch is the perfect balance for me coupled with a tractor grip radius handle. Poifect!