Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

HELP VLX with 8100 won't go over 28mph

I'm new to this forum and have found some great info. Thanks to all of you. I am currently at Lake Powell and this is the first time I've had the boat out since it was summerized. It ran great for the first couple hours and then it now won't go over 29mph with or without a skiier. Also it takes alot longer to get up on a salom ski. If anyone has an easy fix we can do on the water I would love your help.

Part the problem may be that the power wedge is stuck about 4" below all the way up. It blew the 30amp fuse and I replaced it with a 20amp and it blew it immediately. Not sure if there is any good solution to this while on the water, but help here would be much appreciated as well. Thanks again.

Wow!could be anything. Do you have anymore details?

Could be the wedge like you mentioned. I don't have one so I can't comment on that. Could also be electrical, fuel filter, engine retarding because of bad gas, timing, knocking, overheating etc?

Edited by areamike

thanks for the reply. BTW it is a 2006. We ran the tank almost empty and just filled it back up and same problem. It acts this way whether hot or cold so I don't think it's overheating. Could be fuel filter, but I'm not sure where it is and what to look for. Some boats appartently have two fuel filters???

thanks for the reply. BTW it is a 2006. We ran the tank almost empty and just filled it back up and same problem. It acts this way whether hot or cold so I don't think it's overheating. Could be fuel filter, but I'm not sure where it is and what to look for. Some boats appartently have two fuel filters???

My guess is the wedge. Last summer we had a similar experience. Wedge was stuck down about 4 or 5 inches. In that position the boat would only do about 30mph. We have a Hammerhead on a 06 LSV.

How to fix the wedge? I don't know since mine is stuck up right now.

Definitely the Wedge, get that thing up for the rest of the trip (even if you need to borrow a 30A fuse from another circuit just to put it up) and you should be set.

Definitely the Wedge, get that thing up for the rest of the trip (even if you need to borrow a 30A fuse from another circuit just to put it up) and you should be set.

Plus1.gif get the wedge up first, that is a huge drag if it is below the bottom of the hull. The next thing to check would be your timing, make sure that your distributor did not come loose.

Thanks for your replys. You guys are great. I don't have a 30amp fuse with me, I do have some wire I could by pass the fuse with though. Would this be the best way? Other ideas??? I could go into the marina (i'm on the lake with a wireless connection) but it is an hour each way. Would it also help to tie a rope around the wedge and pull up throught the hole in the platform in case an accuator is froze? I really don't want to screw it up worse Cry.gif .

Update for those that may be interested. Just by passed the fuse with a 14 gauge wire and wrapped a rope around the wedge and pulled while the driver hit the button. Pulled up with ease. Boat now goes 43mph with ballast partially loaded and 4 adults in the boat! Much better, however the wakeboarding and surfing may suffer. Thanks again everbody for your help. Your awesome!

Go get the fuse first. If you try to bypass it with a wire and there is a short somewhere (the cause of the fuse blowing in the first place) you could do some damage to some wires.

By the way, it's REALLY hard to feel sorry for you knowing you are probably sitting on a beautiful houseboat somewhere on Lake Powell using a wireless connection for Internet access... Thumbup.gif

Seriously though, I hope you solve the problem sooner rather than later. That would really suck to be on Powell with a boat that's not working properly... Cry.gif

Have a great time what ever you do... Thumbup.gif

rd

Thanks riverdawg. Everything is running good. Felt a strange vibration when we were out today, but otherwise it's awesome. Lake Powell is awesome right now. 95 degrees and sunny. The water level is up 20 feet from last year. It doesn't make for good beaches and we have to re-anchor the house boat everyday as it is rising a foot a day. But I'm not complaining...beats working Thumbup.gif thanks again