Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Short Ski Pylon on '08 Vride (Is this normal???)

Cory

I am thinking about purchasing a barefoot boom for my '08 Vride. Everything I have read about them says you need 3" of height below the swivel head and the top of the sundeck for the boom clamp. Mine doesn't even have 1/2" (photobucket link to picture below).

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll259/c...en/IMG_0051.jpg

1) For those of you also with an '08 Vride, is your pylon the same height? Or, is this a factory mistake?

2) Is there a barefoot boom that will attach to my ski pylon?

3) Does anyone have specific experience with a barefoot boom on a Vride? Any advice?

Thanks.

Edited by Cory
I am thinking about purchasing a barefoot boom for my '08 Vride. Everything I have read about them says you need 3" of height below the swivel head and the top of the sundeck for the boom clamp. Mine doesn't even have 1/2" (photobucket link to picture below).

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll259/c...en/IMG_0051.jpg

1) For those of you also with an '08 Vride, is your pylon the same height? Or, is this a factory mistake?

2) Is there a barefoot boom that will attach to my ski pylon?

3) Does anyone have specific experience with a barefoot boom on a Vride? Any advice?

Thanks.

Couldn't get your picture to pull up, but my vdrive had a short pylon and the dealer was kind enough to install a taller one. This enabled me to put a trick release on it, and it will allow me to attach a boom later. It is a simple swap out. Your dealer should be able to help.

I don't think you will get a boom on it at it's current position. Also when you swap it out, it will always be tall (ie won't go down to a hidden postion). But I didn't care I use it everyday.

Cory, i think you need to pull the pylon up!

i have an 07 VRide and it looks just like your pic when its down. Turn the head 180 degrees and pull up, then turn 180 degrees and it will lock in place, with the ball about 2 feet from the platform.

forgive me if i'm not understanding your question, but i see your pic with it in the down position. It needs to be pulled up for skiing and tubing.

so i'm not looking directly at it (its down on the dock). i might have exagerated how far it comes up. Might only be about 6 inches.

Here is a pic i found on the Internet, note the pylon, thats what mine is like in the up position.

www.skilakehome.com/images/Top_V_Ride_copy.jpg

Yeah I have an 07 vRide and it definitely comes up higher than that. It sits flush when it's down and when up, I probably have at least 3-4" of pylon showing below the swivel ball.

Edit: Looks just like the pic that tj posted above.

Top_V_Ride_copy.jpg

Edited by jtrovato

Yikes! When riding the boom on our DD, you have to stay out on the end to avoid the boat wash- what's it like on a v-drive?

Yikes! When riding the boom on our DD, you have to stay out on the end to avoid the boat wash- what's it like on a v-drive?

Depends on the V drive and how fast you're going. At barefoot speeds, there's no spray to deal with on our Diamond hulled V drive. At slower speeds (20-30 MPH) there's a bit of spray but you can sortof adjust that by moving people around in the boat. A 18" extension helps I've heard but I haven't tried that. The V drive boom curves forward quite a bit to deal with spray. On the 20 and 21' boats, it's not terrible.

Depends on the V drive and how fast you're going. At barefoot speeds, there's no spray to deal with on our Diamond hulled V drive. At slower speeds (20-30 MPH) there's a bit of spray but you can sortof adjust that by moving people around in the boat. A 18" extension helps I've heard but I haven't tried that. The V drive boom curves forward quite a bit to deal with spray. On the 20 and 21' boats, it's not terrible.

My RLX is pretty much the same. I bought a boom extension just for that reason, to get out of the spray a little more. It made a HUGE difference.

Cory, i think you need to pull the pylon up!

i have an 07 VRide and it looks just like your pic when its down. Turn the head 180 degrees and pull up, then turn 180 degrees and it will lock in place, with the ball about 2 feet from the platform.

forgive me if i'm not understanding your question, but i see your pic with it in the down position. It needs to be pulled up for skiing and tubing.

That picture is of the pylon in the "UP" position. In the down position it is completely flush with the vinyl.

No that is normal for '08's

baerfoot international makes a boom that will mount directly to the head of the pylon.

Do you have any pictures of other '08 Vrides for me to compare? Thanks.

Yeah I have an 07 vRide and it definitely comes up higher than that. It sits flush when it's down and when up, I probably have at least 3-4" of pylon showing below the swivel ball.

Edit: Looks just like the pic that tj posted above.

Top_V_Ride_copy.jpg

My buddies 05 vRide looked like the one mentioned above. My 08 VTX is also about that tall when pulled up. It must have been a change to the new 08 vRide?

I am pretty sure that the pylon didn't change from 07 to 08. When i bought mine a couple months ago i was torn between 2007 and 2008, i went with 07 b/c the changes were so minor....and the jbl stereos are not a good as the Sonys IMO. The radio was the only thing that changed that i know of from a 2007 to 2008 VRide.

Here is the deal...you aren't pulling it up enough, its catching on something with doesn't allow you to pull it up all the way, or you have a factory defect right there.

I am pretty sure that the pylon didn't change from 07 to 08. When i bought mine a couple months ago i was torn between 2007 and 2008, i went with 07 b/c the changes were so minor....and the jbl stereos are not a good as the Sonys IMO. The radio was the only thing that changed that i know of from a 2007 to 2008 VRide.

Here is the deal...you aren't pulling it up enough, its catching on something with doesn't allow you to pull it up all the way, or you have a factory defect right there.

I contacted my local dealer about this issue and emailed him the picture. Apparently, the '08 boats have gone to a shorter pylon. He emailed me 3 pictures of '08 boats in their shop all with shorter pylons (VLX, VTX, and 23 LSV).

Sorry guys, I was mistaken obviously. It seems inconceivable that they would change that when they changed so little else between 07 and 08.

I don't even understand why they would do this? What is the benefit of having it lower? Seems like the rope would rub on the deck when pulling riders, doesn't it?

you learn something new everyday on these boards. kudo's for the info.

Edited by tj_in_kc
I just had a thought. What about a Tower boom??

I personally like them better because then the skier is right next to the driver. Great for when teaching kids.

http://store.barefootcentral.com/index.asp...D&ProdID=37

Will that fit on the Illusion X tower? I keep hearing about a new Vdrive boom mount for connecting right onto the swivel head of the pylon, but I have yet to actually see one anywhere on the Internet. Can anyone post a link to one?

No, tower mounted booms will not work with the IX/IXS tower, they are designed for more traditional towers, and for the Series III on Malibu boats.

I'm not surprised you haven't seen a picture online, it's probably so new that they haven't updated their marketing material yet. Why not give BI a call directly to ask them?

Ok, got an answer from the horses mouth (BI). You can mount their current boom directly onto the narrow part of the swivel head. HOWEVER, the concern is whether the swivel head is held on vertically with sufficient strength that it wont pop off if the boom is torqued down by a heavy person. He said the swivel heads are definitely strong enough for children, but has not tested it for adults or larger people.

That begs the question, how strong are the swivel heads held down to the pylon? They are tyically only receiving a horizontal pull from a rope, but the boom could place a significant upward vertical force when an adult rests their weight on the end of the boom (long lever arm).

He recommended the following three part # for Malibu Vdrives: B204V (boom), B110 (extension), and B107 (height adjuster).