Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Break In Period....

KSilva

Break In Period..... The family just got a 08 VLX.... How are these boat normally on gas? We took it out on Sunday for the first time... Only put in 33 gallons of gas... We filled it up to the top today, which came out to 26 gallons... We only put 2 hours on the motor... We never went over 28mph....we drove around for a lil, parked it and went swimming, then drove around for a lil parked it and went swimming... Would it of taken 14 gallons of gas to do this? We weren't even boarding or nothing.. Boat had about 5 adults and 2 kids... Does the boat normally waste more gas during the break in period? I herd these boats were good on gas compared to the Merc. motors... What grade of gas do you guys use?

Thanks in advance...

Kevin

Prior to putting in the front ballasts when I pulled up to the pump, I was usually right on if I figured $25 per enginee hour time with all ballast full and just riding. What amazed me was when I installed the front ballasts in my 04VLX the rate dropped to about $20 hr with ballast full and wedge down.

This was when gas was $4 a gallon (now $5.25gal).

So you say 14gal * $4 = $64, I would have seen about 2.5 hours on my enginee hours clock, which matches your discription.

I have a 340 Monsoon.

I run premium gas.

That does seem a little steep for only 2 hours of fairly light running, but could very well be possible. Not sure who told you the indmar motors were more efficient than merc's... and I don’t know if that is true or not, but I know indmar builds one heck of a motor.

Depending on how the boat is set up, running at 28mph could be turning some pretty high RPM's.

In this thread is a chart that shows fuel consumption.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....322&hl=fuel

According to the info there, if you were cruising at 28mph, I’ll guess you were somewhere around 3000 or 3500 RPMs (taking the weight of your crew into account), which means you could easily burn 10+ gallons an hour, or 20 gallons in two hours. 26 gallons is still quite a bit, but hopefully that will help you get a good idea of consumption rates.

The first thing that comes to my mind is the accuracy of the fuel gauge. Those things are terribly inaccurate, so even if it were pegged on full, you could easily have significantly less than that in the tank. Was it you that filled it up the first time? Or did the dealer give it to you "full"?

I have found that burning anywhere from 5-7 gallons an hour is not that hard to do. Especially with a heavy boat like yours.

Pretty expensive habit. Cry.gif

It's not heavy just well proportioned... :)

I have found that burning anywhere from 5-7 gallons an hour is not that hard to do. Especially with a heavy boat like yours.

Like the old saying? "I'm not overweight, I'm just undertall"

The VLX, if i am not mistaken, holds 46 gallons. If you started with 33 gallons you are already short of a full tank by 13 gallons. If you used the boat for 2 hours that would be about 12-13 gallons you burned. So upon refueling it would require 25-26 gallons to fill the tanks.

Edited by Sandbagger

Like the old saying? "I'm not overweight, I'm just undertall"

Height challenged...lol

The VLX, if i am not mistaken, holds 46 gallons. If you started with 33 gallons you are already short of a full tank by 13 gallons. If you used the boat for 2 hours that would be about 12-13 gallons you burned. So upon refueling it would require 25-26 gallons to fill the tanks.

Yes.gif

The OP didn't really make it clear whether he was only able to put 33 gallons in before it was full, or if he added 33 gallons to a totally dry tank, or if he added 33 gallons to whetever was in there. I would think that there would have been some gas in there from the dealer, right?

Hey Guys,

The tank was pretty much empty...We put in 33 gallons of gas the day we got it.... Drove it around for 2 hours and then on the way home filled the tank to the top... which took about 26 gallons...

46 gallon tank.

33 added to the 5 that were probably already there = 37, that leaves room for 9.

26 that you added minus the empty 9 gets you 17 gallons used.

8.5 gph while running around? Entirely possible.