Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

92 sunsetter

I have a 92 Sunsetter. It has a 350 mercruiser. Is the ignition electronic? Because I have had problems with starting it. After changing plugs, wires,oil,fuel filter. Today I took the distrib. cap off and is was terrible corroded. I cleaned this and the rotor as best I could. Started right up. I am not real mech inclined so my cousin who is was helping me. He said that it did not look to have points. Does anybody know if this motor has points because it did not look like it according to my cousin. I am definitely going to replace cap and rotor. Help appreciated

It probably had points from the factory. A common conversion to older boats is to remove the points and condensor and replace them with an electronic pickup from Pertronix. If you look on Overtons or Ski Dim they sell points/condensor/cap/rotor and they sell the electronic conversion kits.

I bought mine straight from Pertronix for $85.

surg,

jason k is correct, your boat came stock with points.

here is the kit from DIM tune up kit for Mercruiser 350

this spring I installed this kit from DIM (talk to Richard). I also put in new plugs and plug wires. I did not convert to the electronic ignition, but have heard it works very well. i've only had my boat for a year and put about 150 hours on it....i've never had an issue with rough starting. I've borrowed the boat to several friends and family and it always starts/runs perfectly.

after i put the new kit in, the boat has run stronger and smoother than ever.

piece of mind with $4 gas!

It is the Thundebolt 4. Thank you very much. Just replaced cap and rotor which had never been replaced. The rotor was /%^&* to get off. WD and destroying the old one. Finally got it off. Boat still has problem starting.